D.C. United Sausage Fest
In this season of bad news and a failure to meat expectations, Tuesday's announcement that Johnsonville Sausage will be a D.C. United sponsor and RFK food-supplier for the rest of the 2008 season at least suggests that some things on East Capitol Street might be cured.
You thought "cured" was bad? Just wait. For example, Zach Wells won't be the only D.C. United cog getting smoked, front-office types will be able to sponsor their weekly press grillings, and the fans won't be the only ones feeling like their guts have been chewed up. And even though, as a vegetarian, I'm rather partial to Tofurkey products, everyone knows that blogs are all about links, so here are some more details....
* Johnsonville used to have deals with the Columbus Crew and FC Dallas, but United will be their only current MLS account. Other Johnsonville sports partners: the Kansas City Royals, Green Bay Packers, Seattle Seahawks, Indianapolis Colts, San Diego Chargers, and the football teams at Wisconsin, Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa State and Iowa. The Packers even offer a Johnsonville Tailgater of the Game promotion.
* RFK Johnsonville products will include Brats, Italian Sausage, hot dogs, and possibly so-called "unique flavors" like Andouille, Chorizo and/or a Hot 'N' Spicy Polish. That call will be made by Ovations, the concessionaire; lobbying in the comments is encouraged.
* Tom Scheidt, a regional business manager for Johnsonville, was uncertain whether the product will be available at Wednesday's game, but he said the company will "do as much as we humanly, possibly can with a short turnaround" to ramp up the promotion. He also said he was "confident it will be a significant increase over the old quality of whatever hot dogs or sausages they were selling at RFK."
* Scheidt, I should say, is a lifelong soccer fan and player, and said "from a selfish standpoint, it's always good to become partners and sponsors with things you know and love passionately."
* There are also talks with a prominent grocery chain for D.C. United-themed Johnsonville promotions, and the press release reported plans for ticket offers for fans bringing Johnsonville products to upcoming home games.
* United fans, meantime, have already moved on to debating the best available sausages in the D.C. retail market.
This is your place for any and all sausage-related thoughts.
Posted by: odessa steps magazine | May 29, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Matt C | May 29, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kim | May 29, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: StetSports.com | May 30, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: TV Commercial Dog | May 30, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Jim | May 30, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Dadryan | May 30, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Mikeinrockville | May 30, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Coconut | May 30, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 30, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Huggy Low Down | May 30, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | May 31, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.