Erin Andrews at the Bee

Erin Andrews interviews Matthew Evans after his surprise sixth-round exit.

A few notes from ESPN/ABC Spelling Bee sideline correspondent Erin Andrews:

1) None of the kids, she said, have any idea who she is. "Two of the kids who work for the Spelling Bee asked to take my picture, but none of [the spellers] have a clue," she said. "They could care less. It's actually fantastic."

2) She wore three-inch heels, but had to downgrade to gold slippers so that she wouldn't tower over the spellers. The heels are used to talk to athletes. Spellers are shorter.

3) Expect an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel early next week, with the Spelling Bee winner.

4) Half the kids, she said, nervously backed away from her when she attempted to interview them. "Athletes, you have to push them off you, like, 'Man, I want my space,' " she joked.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 30, 2008; 3:10 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Weirdness
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spellers at Play
Next: How Spelling Imitates the World Series

Comments

She'd have to push me off too.

Posted by: Threedy | May 30, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

OK, Dan. I know the blogosphere requires 24/7 Erin Andrews coverage, but you're looking a bit like a stalker with your last few posts. Aren't you married with a kid? For shame....

Posted by: Stalk much? | May 30, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe during the summer you should just follow Erin Andrews around and blog about her. Or maybe I should do that...

Posted by: CRitch | May 30, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Whatever commenter #2.....

Don't hate the blogger, hate the blogosphere.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | May 30, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't be afraid of my fire, Erin. I won't let you burn.

Posted by: creepyguy | May 30, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Picture and most of the good comments are now gone!

Posted by: Come on Dan! | May 30, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I will not tolerate ribald comments or snarkiness on my servers!

Post Big Brother

Posted by: Post Big Brother | May 30, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@ Threedy - yes, "physical" assault humor is always funny... Moron....

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

If these kids didn't want to be mocked by likely unemployed commenters on the Post, they should never have become big time spellers.

Posted by: F the Post's Moderator | May 30, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Dan, feel free to slip Ms. Andrews my email address. I need to be giving that to more attractive young female sports personalities and fewer bald male sports bloggers anyways.

Posted by: FS | May 30, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Haha the photo is back sans Matthew Evans crotch covering.

Posted by: The Post Moderator Hates Fun | May 30, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Ok, fine, I'll respond.

To "Stalk Much," yeah, I have a wife and a kid, and I actually showed my wife that first pic this morning just to make sure she didn't find it creepy. I don't think I've posted anything lurid or distasteful or stalkerish. The picture this morning was a posed joke, and this one is from an interview that appeared on national TV.

Erin told me all of the things above, knowing that I was here to blog about the event and also about the ESPN elements. I'm sure she'll get a lot worse from Jimmy Kimmel.

As always, the goal was just to post something marginally interesting to some niche group of Post.com readers.

As for the censorship, this was a 13-year-old kid completely broken up after falling short of his heartfelt goals. I'm all for ribald comments, but I try to leave innocent 13-year-old kids out of it.

Note to self: next year, remember not to get out of prior commitments in order to provide massive Spelling Bee coverage.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | May 30, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Dan, *LOVE* the Bee coverage. It's a huge DC sporting event! How could you overlook it! And Stalk Much--come on now. Erin Andrews is a national media personality. The text of the post was perfectly decent and friendly.

Posted by: tbwhall | May 30, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey stalk much resend that email please I accidentally deleted it

Posted by: dan steinberg | May 30, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

My bad (and I've already e-mailed Dan about this). It was inexcusable to invoke his family and I misunderstood the "posed" picture and realize the series of posts aren't nearly as stalker-y as I originally thought. Certainly much better treatment than this women gets from most blogs. The only thing that makes me feel better is that I didn't mock any heartbroken teenagers...

Mea culpa.