Gil Won't Return Without Jamison

(By Jesse D. Garrabrant - NBAE via Getty.)

This was supposed to be Gilbert Arenas's last blog of all time, and I was anticipating another heart-felt manifesto on the meaning of life and NBA basketball. Instead, we get equivocation; "I'll give you all a hesitant no, this is not my last blog," he said wrote. And praised be for that.

There's a lot in there: his thoughts on the Cleveland series, the comeback, DeShawn Stevenson, his style of basketball, a reader challenge that could result in him doing 300 push-ups, parental aging, the mortality of childhood icons, the pathology of violent video games, his dry swimming pool, Northeast Ohio hatred and, yes, the future. Regarding that future, he says something he's said before, but with considerably more oomph:

The future is the future. I want to be back in Washington, but weird things happen in free agency. If Antawn is not back, then there's no point in me coming back because he's part of my success, too. When you're doing pick and roll with a player like him, they can't double you, they can't trap you because you have a pick and pop guy who can shoot the three at your four position. My success is because of him too. If he doesn't come back, I'm not coming back.

I know everybody is focusing on whether I'm coming back, but I'm focusing on what he's doing. If he doesn't come back, then I'm not coming back.

That's pretty definitive. Which, if you're a newspaper editor, is the headline out of these 3,000 words. But if you're a blogger celebrating Gilbert's half-hearted pledge to probably blog again maybe, the highlight is his description of his new tattoo, which is so meanderingly non-sensically ridiculous that it pretty well personifies Gilbert-as-blogger, and is the reason we can fairly argue that D.C. now has the two best athlete sports bloggers in the nation. The tattoo:

Originally I had one tattoo on my knee. When I was getting ready to make my comeback, I put one cross on my knee cap. I was like, "God is going to be with me for this journey." So, then I remembered, when Jesus sacrificed himself he was with two thieves on either side of him on the cross. So then I had to get three crosses to represent Jesus and the two thieves and sacrifice, because I was going to sacrifice my knee for the team.

Since it was going to be a sacrifice, I figured, let me just double up on the crosses. So I had the one original, plus the two sets of three, so that gives me lucky number seven. And I know there's something symbolic with seven. So I get blessed on the knee cap with one cross, get blessed on the left side with three crosses and I get blessed on the right side with three more crosses ... If that makes any sense.

No, Gilbert, it does, it does. Yes, it doesn't.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 7, 2008; 5:16 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For Sale: Mark Brunell
Next: Rabach's Butt Begets Campbell's Hammy

Comments

True Gilbertology. One of his best blogs to date and thank God (and all 7 crosses) that this is not his last blog. This blog alone demonstrates how fun and entertaining it is to have Gilbert as a Wizard. From the sounds of it, both Antawn and GA will be staying. I hope Antawn doesn't take this too seriously and doesn't ask for too much b/c I think the wizards want Antawn back, but can't make him a max offer when they have gilbert to worry about. Go Wiz and Go Celtics (when they are playing LeCrybaby)

Posted by: Vobiwan | May 7, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Either this is a way to keep both guys, or it's Gil's "easy" way out...He went from saying I'm staying in DC if they pay me too...I'll stay in DC if Antawn stays? Come on? What is the deal with this guy? No way you give him a max contract based on his recent performance...Good luck Ernie you have work to do.

Posted by: It's just gilbert | May 7, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

You'd think Antawn would be back. We'll see about Gil.

Posted by: DC | May 7, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

please wiz human resources or who the hiring person is don't have us return with those awful kissing announcers, enough is enough. It is time for some new breath. those guys come across as slick and slicker. Let the fans at home enjoy the game. Dave is great on the radio!

Posted by: william | May 8, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I lov my man Gil!!! Da boy's game is undeniable... But right now I am at the point were the show must end now... its time to get down to the nitty gritty... not saying he needs to go... helz no (this guy has yet to reach his full potential)... I am just saying Gil needs to take a step back, look in the mirror and tell himeself, now is the time for me to refine my game... dedicated to being a true point guard and more defensive minded... the ability is there... he has a great mentor in Daniels... WoW if I can combine those two players we would have the true perfect point guard... sad part about it is... Gils 3/4 of the way there... he just needs to wake up and smell the championship aroma that's telling him "refine those finer points of your game" and this team will reach the promise land... until then we will be nothing other than just competitive contenders...

Posted by: ABJ | May 8, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, this whole team returns and matures as a whole. If that happens, they can go 7-8 deep and challenge for in an Eastern Conference that about as deep as Gil's pool.

Posted by: StetSports.com | May 8, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: william | May 8, 2008 12:14 AM

How dare you blaspheme Phil and the DAGGER!

Posted by: Kev | May 8, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I read Gil's blog. He's weirdly sensitive about criticism. Huh? He was hurt most of this year -- who cares about nuts who talk about his play in a year when he barely got to play?

I hope he knows there are many more sane fans that appreciate and value him and his candor.

Of course we're a better team with Gil. And Gil, you're a better person with DC! We make you work for the love we give you!

Posted by: Nancy | May 8, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

If Phil and Buck go, I go.

Posted by: bryc3 | May 8, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Well it's true about Phil and Dave. I prefer to watch the games on TNT or ESPN when the Wizards were playing. Less distractions!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Didn't he already say this months ago?

Posted by: prophet | May 8, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Yo Anonymous @ 11:24 am - who the heck is "Dave"? You mean Steve? There is Dave Johnson, but he does radio. There is Dave Hoopla but he's the shooting coach. Unless you "watch" the radio, then I don't know who "Dave" is.

Bashing the CSN guys is one thing; but using wrong names to bash them is just out of line. That's like me calling Dan - Barbara Streisand.

Posted by: greg | May 8, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"please wiz human resources or who the hiring person is don't have us return with those awful kissing announcers, enough is enough. It is time for some new breath. those guys come across as slick and slicker."

Gimmie a break. Chenier and Buckhantz are absolutely awesome. You are way off buddy.

The TNT or ESPN announcers are unlistenable, especially since we played LeBron. It's worse than Madden announcing Brett Favre's games...

Posted by: Freddy | May 8, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Yup, I have to stand up for Steve and Phil. They are my favorite on-air team, particularly out of local teams. "Inside the NBA" is overrated, in my opinion. Kenny and Chuck can barely speak English half the time (it's called subject-verb agreement: learn it, live it, love it).

Posted by: Arlington Pimp | May 8, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert has to go.We need adefenssive minded youbg point gard who can score when open.sign Jamison and trade him with a big PF ormove butler to SG, let stevenson come from bench, then we will be a real contenders.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse