Spellers at Play

There's a big bulletin board outside the ballroom on which spellers can send and receive messages. Many of the posted items are entreaties from news organizations for interviews with all spellers from Minnesota, for example, or with a specific speller from a specific city. Others are speller-to-speller missives.

Many have to do with the BeeKeeper, a little booklet with pictures of every contestant and just about every event staffer, with a space for an autograph. The spellers go around with their BeeKeepers and attempt to get every single autograph. One speller, in fact, asked me to sign her BeeKeeper, despite the fact that my photo was not included for whatever reason.

The above image, though, is likely my favorite on the bulletin board. Who says spellers aren't like any other kids?

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 30, 2008; 1:02 PM ET
Categories:  Weirdness
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kelli Johnson vs. an Eight-Year Old
Next: Erin Andrews at the Bee

Comments

Stein,

This is starting to turn into what you did with the Preakness infield. Enough already dude, it's a freakin' Spelling Bee. I know you have a great time at these things and don't get me wrong, I think that's GREAT -- but don't get so durrrn carried away. Maybe try to judge the number of entries necessary for any one-subject area based on the slow down in comments...? Recently this blog has become as easy to criticize as Crowd Noise (shudder).

Posted by: Cart | May 30, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

They spelled "possible" wrong...

Posted by: Chris | May 30, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually enjoying this spelling bee coverage...

Posted by: Peter | May 30, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I agree wholeheartedly with Cart. Why are you spending your time on an unique and exciting DC event that happens only once a year when you could be spending more time with:

---our last place baseball team during an interminable regular season?

---our last place soccer team during an interminable regular season?

---any of the multitude of DC sports teams that are not currently in season but are conducting important and not-at-all boring contract negotiations with athletes?

Clearly, you're misspending your time. It's not like I can go to a number of other quality blogs for my Nats news. This "Internet" is smaller than you think!

Finally, the sheer amount of interesting content is making the rest of us look unproductive. Cut it out.

Further concerns to follow I'm sure.

Posted by: MDT | May 30, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Jim Bowden doesn't deserve to work at Roy Rogers, let alone GM a big league club. There, a further concern.

Posted by: Cart | May 30, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Chris, since you want to nitpick with kids, it wasn't a "they" as you state. It was a he or she. The sign-maker refers to "me" so the pronoun should be singular.

Second, the kid-speller in question was 100% accurate in the spelling of "possible." Are you mistaking the rather flamboyant comma that follows for another letter?

Might you wish to consult an ophthalmologist?

Posted by: Leila | May 30, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not convinced that it was a kid-speller who posted that soccer invite sign.

I think it may have been Steinberg.

Posted by: Gooooooool | May 30, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Looks like he/she almost forgot to slide in that "l" in possible.

Posted by: H Street | May 30, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, H Street, but the "l" is plain as day. As with other sports, spelling is a tough business. Your "almost" alibi for Chris is wuss-out. The kid spelled possible correctly. Chris was wrong. He(?) deserves public flogging with a frozen semi-colon.

Posted by: Leila | May 30, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse