Spelling Bee Time
A year later, and another Scripps National Spelling Bee at the Grand Hyatt is upon us. Last year's coverage can be read here and here and here and here; it also resulted in one of America's most famous spellers visiting the Bog to post a comment.
Things to watch for this year:
1) Erin Andrews, obviously. In addition to covering the Bee for ESPN, Erin Andrews is scheduled to be a featured guest on next week's Blog Show, with the interview scheduled for tomorrow morning. That's three entirely distinct events over five days this week, bringing Tiger Woods, Erin Andrews and Chad Johnson to town. Big week.
2) 1) Tonight at 6 at the ESPN Zone, you can tune up with the Sports Spelling Bee, an event held at various ESPN Zones featuring local and national sports names. I nearly managed to be a guest judge, but was unable to participate; still, I got to look at the list of hard-to-spell sports names.
Turns out there's a real dearth of hard-to-spell D.C. athlete names just now, but I'll throw out four that at least have local interest. I know you can Google these, but don't. If you get four out of four without looking, you're officially a home-schooled-on-WTEM sports savant with a strong future in anonymous Web writing. If you get three out of four without looking, you probably have at least one of our sports blogs bookmarked. If you get two out of four without looking, you're probably the author of at least one of our sports blogs.
* Current Caps defenseman, initials SM.
* Former Nats relief pitcher, initials LS.
* Current Duke men's basketball coach.
* Former Redskins wide receiver, initials LC.
3) D.C. is being represented by Stephanie Cristina GuzmÃ¡n, an 11-year-old sixth grader at Oyster Adams Bilingual School. Her sponsor is the Washington Informer. If she fails, her principal will be fired.
5) Semifinals air live on ESPN from 11 am to 2 pm on Friday. Championship Finals air live on ABC from 8:00 to 10:00 pm on Friday. Tomorrow's quarterfinals can be seen live on ESPN360.com from 2 to 5:30.
Live Bee blog coverage for much of the next two days, I reckon.
Posted by: Jenks | May 28, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Unsilent Majority | May 28, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Unsilent Majority | May 28, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: odessa steps magazine | May 28, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: DBKAlum | May 28, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Sam | May 29, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.