Yesterlook: A D.C. United Championship

Introducing yet another new feature to help me survive the summer: Yester Look, featuring a photograph from The Post's archives that may or may not speak to the issues of the day in D.C. Sports. To be honest, this one might not last indefinitely; only as long as the 21st-century-heavy archives seem to remain full-of-vim. Suggestions for archival searches are entirely welcome.

For our first Yester Look, let's try to distract D.C. United fans from a side that looks unlikely to win a championship by hearkening back to the 2004 title. It's a Chris Carlson AP Photo, and it features the very happy Nick Rimando and Ben Olsen. For an equally happy but-more-current Ben Olsen photo, in this case playing team handball, check out Behind The Badge. And feel the joy, United people.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 28, 2008; 5:14 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Yester Look
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spelling Bee Time
Next: Morning Look: Sliding Dukes

Comments

I moved to the DC area literally the week this photo was taken. I have become a pretty obsessed fan of this club over the last 3+ years.
I hope this showing up here is a good omen, and they turn this thing around and lift this thing again at the end of the season!
Here's to that!
Vamos United!

Posted by: Dadryan | May 28, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Team Handball? Yes.

...Maybe you can look into talking to the US Deaf Men's National Team Handball Team. They train at Gallaudet.

Posted by: B.A. | May 28, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I am fan of this club over the last 2 years

*****************************************
Michael

I challenge you to a game of trivia! Click here to battle against me online at ConQUIZtador. Let's see who's the winner... https://www.conquiztador.com/?a=26041
*******************************************

Posted by: Michael | May 29, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I am fan of this club over the last 2 years

*****************************************
Michael

*******************************************

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

When I recall what we had
I feel lost, I feel sad
With nothing but the memory of
Yester love and now
Now it seems those yester dreams
Were just a cruel and foolish game we had to play

Yesterme yesteryou yesterday
Yesterme yesteryou yesterday

Posted by: Lindemann | May 29, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Dan: here's an idea if you ever read this comment.

Scrounge up every picture ever of a DC sports team holding a championship trophy ever. Readers vote on which is the "best" picture, which is the "most ridiculous", which is the "proudest", etcetera.

You've got some Senators pictures (maybe) from the '20s. 3 'Skins SB trophies. 4 DC United trophies (is that right?). Bullets trophies, and maybe the Dale Hunter holding the Wales Conference trophy???

Posted by: Ben | May 29, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Ben:

5 - Washington Redskins (1937, 1942, 1982, 1987, 1991)
4 - DC United (1996, 1997, 1999, 2004)
1 - Washington Bullets (1978), Washington Senators (1924)
0 - Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 29, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

DCUnited - only DC franchise that has not s*cked the last 10 years.

Posted by: Vic | May 29, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Vic . . .

The Washington Freedom???

Posted by: Glaucon | May 29, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Just saw that all week Comcast will be airing the old championship games so we can relive the glory that way too!!!

Posted by: dcsportsfan2 | June 2, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse