Cooley's Easterns Nickname

Some months back, Eastern Motors CEO and hero-to-bloggers Robert Bassam asked me to host a poll on this site, allowing readers to choose Chris Cooley's Eastern Motors nickname, after he was added to the Easterns fold this year, becoming the lone current whitey on staff. For some reason--inaction, I believe--I declined.

I was under the impression that a nickname had already been chosen, but now we learn that Cooley is choosing between two monikers: John Wayne and Ice Man, which is the name I'd previously heard and which carries the faint whiff of Vanilla. Why Johnny White Guy isn't in the mix, I'll never understand, but you can help Chris decide if you're so inclined.

Word is, Fred Smoot and Mike Sellers might also be involved with Easterns this year, which can't be a bad thing. The new videos are scheduled to be taped sometime in July or August, promising to be one of the five most bloggable days of the year.

And good thing for Easterns that "your home equity's your credit" doesn't have quite the same ring as "your job's your credit."

(Photo ripped from Jim Folliard of Gearshift Photography.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 20, 2008; 10:40 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Look: Fire Jim Bowden?
Next: Morning Look: Dmitri With Head of Steam

Comments

How about something ORIGINAL? Both of those names we all know. If I had to choose one, it would be John Wayne as "Ice Man" belongs to another sports figure...

Posted by: joeblazin | June 20, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Ghetto superstar commercials. The commercials are up there with the Senate Auto Insurance "Kiss My Bumper, just Kiss it!" and the Go Gebco commercials. They are so bad they are good.

Posted by: MNMNT | June 20, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The picture of him is AWFUL! But it did just make me laugh outloud!

I hate both of the names too! Aren't the other guys "The Punisher", "The Enforcer", etc. and Cooley's John Wayne?

Posted by: suzannepdc | June 20, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Also, isn't "Wayne" the middle name of John Bobbitt? Seems like a doomed name. What did the missus say to him right before the cutlery incident? Something like "It won't be long now" or something like that?

Cooley should let the Duke remain the Duke (or, at least, one of the Dukes ... with apologies to DC's native son, the late Mr. Ellington).

Also, I think that Ice Man was the fat skater, American Gladiator-type who died real quick in Schwartzenegger's "Running Man" (also starring Richard Dawson!).

Cooley's Eastern nickname should be Rabachefeller ... in honor of ... well ... um ... back to the misterirrelevant link.

Posted by: dcsween | June 20, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

how about chubbs mcgee?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Not quite sure how to put this delicately, but isn't the fact that the guy is white enough of a differentiator? Do they really need to put a big cowboy hat on him?

I know he's from out west, a country boy or whatever, but the hat seems excessive. But maybe I'm not getting with the playful spirit of the Eastern campaign.

I am also given to understand that the cowboy hat qua cowboy hat is associated to some extent with a rival team.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 20, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

You mean, like the Colts' rivals, the Texans?

Posted by: dcsween | June 20, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

What Captain Chaos doesn't work?

That's a pretty coolio nick name, I'd go with that.

Posted by: _stumped_ | June 20, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

sween, I was referring to the Abilene Stetsons, hated rivals of the Lubbock Oil Derricks.

I can't remember what league they play in, but that's some rivalry they got there.

And I don't want Chris Cooley to get mixed up in it, no siree, bob. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 21, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse