DCU vs. Galaxy, in Images

Post photographer Toni L. Sandys has a very nice photo gallery of what Beckham Day looked and felt like, but I'll offer a few of my own. Like, it's tough to beat the Beckham blow-up doll, picture above, who/which apparently was tossed about joyfully after at least one of the United goals. And you thought the curves on Beckham's set pieces were impressive.

Even more impressive is the suit Quavas Kirk wore to and from the game, seen below. "Is that a lab coat?" asked a team employee upon seeing Kirk.

"How do I describe this outfit?" Kirk replied, in response to my question. "It's a white zoot church suit. And we usually wear this down South, we don't bring that up North too much. I bought this in Miami when I went down there, and I wore this to my senior prom."

Any locker room reaction?

"Wow, how 'bout that, huh?" Devon McTavish said. "That's big-time. Not a lot of people can pull that off."

"Ben [Olsen] fell to the ground when he saw it," Kirk reported. "He told me to wear something flashy and I was like, 'all right I've got something for you.' "

Flashy? I guess. Maybe a little.

As for this shot below, there were plentiful post-game autographs available, provided you were interested in several scribblings that looked nearly identical, accompanied by a trusty number for identification purposes. Perhaps Zach Wells should be a doctor when he grows up.

Oh, and late in the first half there was a blizzard of balloons streaming onto the field, plus one beach ball. Some team employees gathered up the balloons, leading to a pleasing popping sound whilst United was deflating the high-flying Galaxy. The beach ball's air was released, although a few balloons remained stuck in the netting as play continued. Anyhow, before the beach ball met its demise, it was nice to see the security folks doing their part to keep the party going.

Lastly, this video of Gonzalo Martinez's groin incident has been making the blogging rounds today. The solution for a Beckham ball into the unmentionables seems to be several well-placed squirts of water. Yeah, we started with a blow-up doll and we wound up with groin recovery. It was a good day.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 30, 2008; 2:57 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: O's-Nats Rivalry Gets Serious
Next: Suisham's 110-Yarder and Football Fans

Comments

Groin recovery? How about drinking too many beers in the blazing sun head recovery?

Posted by: Chico | June 30, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

At least the money we're spending on Kirk is going to SOMETHING...

Posted by: Section 130 | June 30, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

anybody have a picture of ladycakes donavan with the tampon in his vagina*?

*nose

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | June 30, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Busy day yesterday, eh, Agent Steinz? Did you actually make it over to Nats Park after you left RFK? If so, kudos to you - I had enough trouble just making it to my couch for the last 2/3 or the Euro final.

Also, I don't know your mom, but I'm pretty sure she'd want you to wear a hat the next time you're out in that kind of sun. Might be time to bring back the fedora.

And poor Emilio - Harkes screws up the pbp, mis-identifies Martinez as Emilio, and all those blogs are now showing video of "Luciano Emilio" getting nutted by a Beckham cross.

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 30, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to say that if Zach Wells became a doctor, there number of tumors that slip past being caught would increase.

Posted by: Max Wass | June 30, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I watched the game on TV and the you could practically hear the producers screaming every time a cameraman came a little too close to showing the blowup doll in the stands: "VEER AWAY! TURN AWAY NOW!"
Too. Damn. Funny.
VAMOS, UNITED!

Posted by: Arlington Pimp | June 30, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Section 130:

Kirk's Generation Adidas. We don't pay him a dime.

Dan:

Thought I saw you down there. Did you happen to get any quotes from the Beckham security guy (who had the misfortune of having to stand there in a suit the whole time)?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 30, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I know I got just a little bit of sun out there... if only I'd paid attention to that uber-catchy song from a few years ago... "Sunscreen"

Now I just need to find the "interview" a Comcast Sportsy Net guy conducted with me on camera pre-game on the walk into the stadium from Lot 8.

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 1, 2008 2:36 AM | Report abuse