Hava Nagila and TK's Hatred

A few quick notes while watching my daughter....

1) Someone asked to see the photo that accompanied my "Empty Nats Stadium" item in this morning's paper. Here it is, by The Post's John McDonnell.

2) Maybe I'm crazy, but I could almost swear that Wily Mo Pena's batting music in the first game yesterday was "Hava Nagila." Has anyone written about this? Does anyone know why? This is one of the greatest mysteries in American sports, as far as I'm concerned.

3) Chico Harlan filed so much Nats copy yesterday that I'm afraid this might have been missed: between games, written on the whiteboard in the Nats clubhouse: "Hugo the haircut guy in auxiliary locker room between games." The Washington Times's Thom Loverro also mentioned this to me.

Who is Hugo the haircut guy? Google reports that this was the first mention of "Hugo the haircut guy" in world history. Has anyone written about this? This is one of the greatest mysteries in American sports, as far as I'm concerned.

4) Don't forget to listen to Bog reader Dan Levy's "On the DL" podcast with Tony Kornheiser, a fascinating, rambling 30-minute window into a quite interesting mind. Early on, Tony insists that he's not at all miserable, hinting that some of the "I'm so miserable" business might be an act. Then, a few minutes later, comes this:

I'm not mellowed on any level. I hate as many people, if not more, than I hated before. I hate them with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, as I've always done; it's just that after a while I just can't keep naming the same people....But no, I think the hatreds are still there, and more people get added to the list all the time.

I've mastered the "I'm so miserable" act, but I definitely need to work on the "I hate random people with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns" gimmick. The people love that one.

(Incidentally, he also says that writing is harder than radio or TV, which I find a highly subjective argument. Having done some TV, I can say definitively that it's much harder for me than typing transcripts of interviews with Tony Kornheiser.)

(He also says he could see himself doing columnettes for the Web, which would be interesting. And, like him or not, bloody successful, I'd bet.)

5) And please, if you do nothing else this weekend, watch the portion of this old clip of the Charlie Rose Show featuring Mike Wise with hair. It's truly magical, and it counteracts commenter MNMNT who argues The Post Sports section is only into bald white men.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 6, 2008; 4:21 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Sports Media Approval Ratings: Mike Wise
Next: Morning Look: Caron Dancing and Popping

Comments

Thank you for the plug, Steinz. Although, I don't think my mind is that interesting. Fascinating and rambling, maybe but....oh, wait..you were talking about the other guy on the show.

Posted by: Dan Levy | June 6, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

what is that wise????

I mean, is there a name for that kind of hair-do?

I don't think I have ever seen that before...

Posted by: littles | June 6, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Some would say "Mike Wise with hair." Others would say "Mike Wise before finally giving up on having hair."

That said, I think Wise manages the bald look quite well. Though not as well as Steinz.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | June 6, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think my mind is that interesting."

you're right.

go back to pimping your t-shirts.

Posted by: bill in upstate ny | June 6, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Wily Mo didn't bat in the second game, so I'm can't attest to that. But last night they played Hava Nagila about 40-50 times, including twice in the same at bat. I can't believe they couldn't find something else to play at least a few times!

Posted by: TG | June 6, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"He also says he could see himself doing columnettes for the Web"

Wouldn't "writting columnetes for the Web" be "blogging"? But Tony HATES bloggers.

Posted by: kjh | June 6, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Tony's schtick got old 15 years ago.

Posted by: UMD's Burning Couch | June 6, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I think they play HAVA NAGILA after every foul ball. Not 100% sure though.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | June 7, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Thats because Willy Mo has a jewish new years chance of coming anywhere near the baseball on most at bats. What keeps in employed is IF/WHEN he runs into one the fans get excited at the orbital path.

Posted by: caphcky | June 8, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

KJH - I was wondering the exact same thing...

Posted by: CRitch | June 9, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Well most of you guys ARE white and bald.
Wise already stated he knew nothing about hockey, but yet he wrote a bunch of articles and put up that stupid video of him going around mocking the sport, towards the end of the season. And the point of that was? To appease the hockey fans in the area by providing some crap articles at the end of the season instead of featuring different players throughout the season?

Why don't you guys cover all the sports throughout the season? You guys are doing it for the Nats, and look where that's going. All that time and effort and no one is even showing up to the games. Did the Nationals pay a premium for their little splash page on the Post?

Posted by: MNMNT | June 9, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I was there on Thursday, and they played Hava Nagila after every last foul boul. This was old by the 2nd inning. In all, my first trip to the new park was fairly mediocre.

Posted by: FS | June 9, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm never going to a Nat's game. I'd rather drive an hour to Baltimore to see a game at Camden Yards and spend a day/night in Baltimore. I have less chance of getting shot in Baltimore than I do in SE.

Posted by: MNMNT | June 9, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I guess this is one of those times when "with hair" is in the eye of the beholder...

Posted by: SSFSCoWA | June 9, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Better not go to the wrong part of Bmore MNMNT.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | June 10, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

wow ... i can't believe how empty.

of course, who would pay money to watch a jerk like dukes?

Posted by: the Wayward O | June 14, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse