Kedric Golston's Daughter May Be More Famous Than He

Child model Tori Golston. (Photo courtesy Generation Model Management)

From whom did Kedric Golston's daughter get her striking looks?

"I would say from me," Golston's wife, Christal, said politely.

"You know, my wife's real good looking, but I ain't half bad myself," Kedric dissented. "I've been known to turn a few heads in my day."

This was in jest, though, and soon he amended his remarks; "I mean, we're not looking for a nose guard here," he pointed out, "we're looking for a lady."

Tori, the 9-year-old daughter of the Redskins' 320-pound defensive lineman, is that lady, a successful child model who has appeared on Macy's billboards in Times Square, in advertisements for Target, Toys"R" Us and Linens N Things, and in child fashion catalogs like Earnshaw's. After submitting her photos to several agencies in 2003, the Golstons heard back from all of them and have been taking Tori to shoots in New York since then. Kedric tries to avoid these trips; he once got lost after dropping Tori off and spent two hours driving around Manhattan.

"I like to chill," he explained, "and ain't nothing chill about New York."

Father of child model. (2006 TWP photo by John McDonnell)

Christal and Tori are thus considering renting a place in New York for this summer's modeling trip and leaving dad at home. And while Kedric is extremely proud of Tori--"I mean, not to brag, but she's gorgeous," he said, "gorgeous to the [extent] that I'm gonna have to buy a lot of guns here in the next six to seven years"--he sounds equally proud of, say, her basketball exploits. Tori played this winter for the Sting, a 10-and-under girls team coached by one Kedric Golston, who led the team to regular season and tournament championships.

"I don't know a lot [about basketball], but I do know to at least play hard and play fast," he said, when asked about his coaching philosophy. "And I motivate them with a lot of candy. Costco. I would bring them boxes of candy, and that seemed to work. We were down 15 points one game at halftime; 15 points with nine-year olds, that's like 100. And I told them if they came back to win, I would bring them more candy than they'd ever seen in their lives. I came in with like a thousand pieces of candy the next practice, and they had at it."

Someone's gotta tell Daniel Snyder about this. Signing bonuses are great and all, but they haven't yielded a Super Bowl, and everyone loves candy. Anyhow, both parents emphasized that they'll only do this modeling thing for as long as Tori is interested, that they'll take her to pool parties instead of photo shoots if she's so inclined, that they're not trying to push her to a pressure-filled career and that the agencies are drawn to her because she continues to act like a normal nine-year old girl.

"I wouldn't allow her not to," Kedric said. "She still wants you to pour her milk, she still can have a little scrape on her arm and you've got to put 9,000 band aids on her."

Tori now has a six-month-old little brother, and her agent already is asking the Golstons to bring him up to New York for a look. Christal is open to the idea, but Kedric hasn't yet signed off.

"He doesn't really think boys should model," Christal said.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 19, 2008; 5:49 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Athletes and Obama: An Update
Next: Morning Look: Fire Jim Bowden?

Comments

SHouldn't you have included a picture of this telegenic kid?

Posted by: odessasteps | June 19, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with typos, but "New Media Grammar" makes me cringe ... maybe "Kedric Golston's Daughter May Be More Famous Than HE"

Posted by: dcsween | June 19, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

@ dcsween, more importantly, what was Kedric's major?

No, seriously, I had a bet with myself about whether any commenters would point out that error before my English professor father did. You win. I just didn't feel like changing it, because "He" sounds all awkward, and I had no other ideas, but fine, I'll change it, you win.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | June 19, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Oops ... no hard feelings? If it makes it any easier, maybe adding "Is" after "He" would feel less awkward. Will consult the intergoogles to check on KG's syllabi. Also will try harder to end my clauses with prepositions ... seriously though, my coffee club at work quit on me for the summer ... its been a hard day.

Posted by: dcsween | June 19, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

How would Golston know about raising such a charming beauty? From the Skins' site, "He majored in child and family development."

Posted by: dcsween | June 19, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I love the idea that Kedric won't be able to scare off any smitten teenagers with his massive girth alone. Guns. He needs guns people.

Posted by: Hobes | June 19, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, how about you just go whole hog and make it "...Than He Is." I mean, come on already, dude. It ain't rocket science, it's grammars.

Gibbs had a quote when he came back to the Skins in which he cited "sugar" as one of a very short list of motivators. I wondered at the time whether he was making an offhand reference to the diabetes, or employing sugar as a euphemism (as in "gimme some sugar, baby") -- which seems unlikely -- or talking about actual sugar, as in the candy Mr. Golston gives to his basketball team. Not entirely sure why I mention this here, just trying to add something that is slightly more than nothing.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Hope the Golsten family is not counting on income from that face.

Posted by: Rotten Tomatoes | June 20, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

NOT a slam against the kid--I mean, kids should be allowed to have a childhood (i.e, no more Jon Benets).

Posted by: Rotten Tomatoes | June 20, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

In general, Nate, shorter is better for headlines. This one is already way too long, though, so maybe I should have just kept it going. "Kedric Golston's Daughter May Be More Famous Than He Is, If You Consider The Fact That She's Appeared In National Ad Campaigns And He, So Far As We Know, Has Not."

You know, the Post should actually have a grammar blog. People in this town would love that. All you RI hamsters could take it over.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | June 20, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Is it that time of the month Steinz?

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | June 20, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I apologize for the stupid grammar thing, Steinz. But I offer the meager defense that sween appears to have started it. (As usual, it's the second guy on the scene who gets flagged.)

I'm not a grammar queen. I'm really not. The headline got your intended point across, which is job #1. Also, you may be more of a person with a newspaper writing job than me.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 20, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

dcsween is a weenie. This is an age-old debate, but even William Safire endorses "more famous than him."

"more famous than he" sounds like something Prince Charles would say, not a sports blogger.

The only reason to avoid "than him" is to avoid comments from grammar ninnies--which, I guess, is reason enough.

Posted by: CThomas | June 20, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

dcsween and Dan Steinberg ... dcsween is more of a weenie than him is, CThomas.

... so William Safire is caving on fundamentals of language? Pffft to (very) Old Media quitting on grammar to relate to "kids today." I can't even believe you brang Mr. Safire into the conversation ...

Posted by: dcsween | June 20, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

not to break up the grammar war, but did anyone else notice that Kedric Golston is 24 and his daughter is 9???

Posted by: OC PIKE | June 21, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

@ OC PIKE, um, whoops. nope, i didn't. might be worth a question.

@ Nate, just joking dude. i completely approve of blog grammar wars.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | June 21, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

OC PIKE, didn't Champ Bailey also have a kid when he was in his teens? I guess there's a lesson here somewhere. About responsibility or something.

Mr. Bog, I'm trying to make good on the "make conversation happen in your comments section" thing. But obviously it will take some time. I do appreciate the feedback on the feedback on the feedback on the feedback.

Meta meta.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 21, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, about Kedric's daughter dillemma...
After many hours of crunching the numbers, it seems that Mr. Golston would have been 15 at the time of his daughter's birth. This very publication did a thorough story last year on the trials and tribulations of Kedric (aka Him/He), and how he's overcome so much to get to where he is. Unless I'm mistaken, I would think that fathering, and taking responsibility for a child, at the age of 15, would be a bit of a hardship, yet is nowhere mentioned in the aforementioned article. If he is, in fact, the biological father of Tori, the story of how he managed to support her, raise her, and all while devoting himself to high school, college, and eventually, professional football. This would be a remarkable story, to say the least.

Posted by: Michael | June 22, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you should've interviewed the referees, players, coaches, and parents in the 3rd grade girls basketball league that Golston coached in to hear a different perspective of his coaching style. His win at all cost attitude and the way he acted might be acceptable on the NFL sidelines but it's unacceptable on the sidelines of an elementary school gym with 9 and 10 year old girls playing recreational basketball.

Posted by: Ashburn Dad | June 23, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

@Michael, remarkable story, yes ... likely to appear in a follow up blog thread, not so much

@Ashburn Dad, unacceptable dad behavior is the story of growing up in America ... true confession: my dad wore back socks, work shoes, and shorts without a shirt to mow the lawn. That is unacceptable. That which does not kill ... at least makes for a repeatable anecdote (and, depending on the teller's timing, sometimes amusing).

Posted by: dcsween | June 25, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse