Morning Look: DCU Rising

Having stopped paying attention to D.C. sports for seven days, I return to find a baseball team that recorded its first three-game sweep of 2008, a Mystics team that recorded its first road victory of 2008, and a D.C. United side that's unbeaten in four games for the first time in 2008, as Luciano Emilio recorded his first MLS hat trick.

"If I come the ball, we score goals," I believe he said in his Comcast SportsyNet post-game interview, part of which was conducted in German, as seen below. (Translations welcome.) "In every country the goal, to score goals, is the same thing, the same language." Now if I could just get him to sing his version of "The Star Spangled Banner" on video.

(PS: The Red Bulls look sad in the above photo, by the AP's Nick Wass. Sorry, Red Bulls.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 16, 2008; 8:11 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Morning Look
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebrity Hoops Video
Next: Caron Doesn't Justify His Thug

Comments

Welcome back Steinz. Need the irreverance. And wow, but LuciGol is finally back in form. He's lost some weight too.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | June 16, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I know you're moving, but no need to Apologize to the Red Bulls, or their fans. Vamos United.
Everyone is till trying to figure out what exactly the banner that the Red Bulls supporters had that dissed Ben Olsen actually said.
Does anyone else out here remember? I was sitting below them and couldn't read it. It must have been shown on Comcast though.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 16, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"Liciano - Thomas

Very good, my friend.

When was the last time you shot three goals, my friend?"

Posted by: lahr | June 16, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Dan, your recent article on fans seating explaination was really nice for people who come don't come to the game often. It's very helpful, I think and it gives you a clear picture of what DC United fans are all about. Thanks Dan. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: arlington4united | June 16, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

The Red Bulls fan sign said:

Ben Olsen's Ankles = Failfurvnugen

It was super lame and trying to make a connection to the new sponsors.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I know United supporters have had their share of controversial banners but it does seem pretty weak to single out an injured player. Not very creative.
Hey red bulls fans: too bad about Jozy and Angel ehh?
Dont slip on that last step down into the cellar Losers.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 16, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking a little bit more about: Hey, Red Bulls, this is what a crowd looks like..

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The New York fans were making fun of DC United's sponsors? That's understandable. After all, it's not like there are any ridiculous companies sponsoring their team, the New York RED BULLS.

Posted by: Max Wass | June 16, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | June 16, 2008 12:11 PM
============
Or this is how we play beautiful game.

Posted by: td | June 16, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Its was more offensive (homophobic) and dumber

I'll refrain from posting so as not to offend

The Red Bulls fan sign said:

Ben Olsen's Ankles = Failfurvnugen

It was super lame and trying to make a connection to the new sponsors.

Posted by: | June 16, 2008 11:32 AM