Morning Look: Fans All Wet

While yesterday's D.C. United game was stuck in some sort of strange limbo for much of the night, delayed after 16 minutes of slop but not yet canceled, I couldn't help but hope that the waterlogged chaos would result in a delay of several hours, players helping squeegee the field and then a late-night free game in front of virtually no one, while various supporters fell asleep on their drums and the cats roamed free. Sort of like that late-night Phillies-Nats game from two falls ago, except with bagpipes.

Instead, they postponed the whole thing, which is much less memorable. A few miles away, the Nats were doing likewise, although in that case at least the game was switched to this afternoon, allowing me to attend my first-ever game at Nationals Park. You know, a 1:10 D.C. United start at RFK would have worked pretty well.

Regardless, this would be a good time to mention that the Post's Capital Weather Gang blog offers nightly United- and Nats-related forecast, known as NatsCast and UnitedCast. Yesterday's entries predicted that "a few storms could still be severe" during gametime. True enough, as it turned out. Today's NatsCast calls for humidity and thunderstorms.

The United photo, above, is by The Post's Toni L. Sandys. The Nats photo, below, is by The Post's Jonathan Newton.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 5, 2008; 7:50 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Morning Look , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins OTA Questions Answered
Next: The WTEM Purchase: Feedback Rolls In

Comments

C'mon Dan, United supporters falling asleep on their drums? I thought you knew us better than that.

Posted by: Chico | June 5, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chico | June 5, 2008 11:02 AM
***
Yeah...I mean, pass out, maybe (esp. since they were selling plenty of beer during the rain delay), but sleep? Hah! Never! :-D

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 5, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Damn Ed, you just reminded me. I don't think I paid my tab last night. :/

Posted by: Chico | June 5, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

look for another article relatinghttp://comcastsportsnet.tv/pages/dcunited_landing/?blockID=8060&feedID=279

Posted by: paul | June 5, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I would have absolutely loved it if they had just waited till 11 or so and decided to play the game after all. I wonder if I could have gotten permission to go to my car and get a change of shoes and socks.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 5, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

It was awesome in the rain even though I couldn't even open my eyes because of the rain dripping down to my face. Instead of cancelling they should give three points to United..hahaa

Posted by: football | June 5, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse