Morning Look: Fire Jim Bowden?

We enter Day Four of the Fire Jim Bowden blog, and the accompanying petition has already garnered, let's see, NINE signatures. And to be blunt, these Nats aren't exactly slaying the National League right now. I'd say the nine signatures, and the fact that it look this long for someone to start the Fire Jim Bowden blog, say just as much about D.C. baseball as those oft-mentioned empty high-priced seats.

Anyhow, as always, I advocate no one to ever lose their job, under the theory that I'd prefer never to lose mine. But this one was started by a WashingtonPost.com reader, after all, so I'm merely providing a link to the site, which has this as its mission statement:

We hold no personal ill-will towards Mr. Bowden. In fact, we have found him to be an often gregarious, certainly never boring sort of fellow. Sadly, he is simply not cut out to be a Major League Baseball General Manager. We take no joy in this. We simply wish our team success, and for that to happen, JimBo must go.

I'm also providing one of the greatest photos ever, of Jim Bowden and former Team Prez Tony Tavares, when the logo was introduced in November of 2004. The photo's by The Post's Bill O'Leary. The caption says they're taking "mock swings with invisible bats." Who knew the players would follow suit?

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 20, 2008; 10:24 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kedric Golston's Daughter May Be More Famous Than He
Next: Cooley's Easterns Nickname

Comments

"I'd say the nine signatures, and the fact that it look this long for someone to start the Fire Jim Bowden blog, say just as much about D.C. baseball as those oft-mentioned empty high-priced seats."

Or maybe D.C. just has sophisticated, non-reactionary baseball fans that feel Bowden is less of the problem than the fact that the team has been decimated by injuries.

Nah, you're probably right, Dan.

Posted by: Fingerman | June 20, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to put in my mailing address, otherwise I'd sign up.

Perhaps the Post's continuing to reward Peter Angelo$' efforts to destroy or weaken D.C. baseball with regular coverage says something too.

Posted by: WFY | June 20, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I've never thought very highly of Bowden as a GM. But the moves this team has made in the past two years have made the overall organization remarkably better, and he deserves at least some of the credit for that. Sure, the current Major League product stinks, but the overall pool of talent is much deeper and they're better positioned financially now than they were when they were carrying all the Vinny Castillas and Jose Guillens of the world. If that means losing a half dozen more games a year for a few years, so be it.

Posted by: pondaz | June 20, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Most reasonable Nats fans want to FIRE LENNY!!!! first.

Bowden's time is coming. And it won't be undeserved.

But first things first. FIRE LENNY!!!

Posted by: Chris | June 20, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

First give Bowden a reasonable payroll budget, then fire him if the team stinks.

Posted by: PB | June 20, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

there's baseball in d.c?!?
united fans care more about they're club than fake baseball fans in d.c.

.......FACT

Posted by: YOUR_RIVER_IS_ON_FIRE | June 20, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Lots and lots of good seats available for the Beckham game next weekend. Tickets for the Nats game are selling for more than face value on StubHub.

Posted by: PB | June 20, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

You people are idiots. Bowden is a certifiable jack*** and a terrible manager to boot. He should definitely be canned.

Posted by: Cart | June 20, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

This is ridiculous. Why would you want to fire Jim Bowden. He has done a great job for what he has had to work with. He got Soriano for nothing and we recieved what so far looks like to great players in the draft for him. Bowden was able to get us Milledge and Dukes for nothing and if Dukes keeps his head straight he will be a GREAT player. He also picked up Young, Belliard, Loaiza, and Carrasco - all who had great years with the Nats. He was able to unload Vidro and his big salary. He make a good trade of getting rid of Livan. If the Kearns, Lopez, Wagner trade doesn't work out - who cares, we gave up nothing for them. I don't know what you would want him to have done with what he has had to work with. The Nats haven't had owners until the middle of the 2006 season. There was noone worth spending money on in the free agent market that would have made sense to go out and get. To fire him now would be assinine. He has done a great job building the farm system. The Nats' farm system that was ranked 30th is currently ranked 9th. Let's give hime a couple more years to see if the plan pans out. As for me I am onboard with the plan. Go JB.

Posted by: BRothbart | June 20, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

BR - You give Jimbo too much credit for things he didn't do alone.

Posted by: Yak | June 20, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

He's the GM, so he get the credit. Also, he put the people in charge who have helped with some of those decisions so he gets the credit. I understand that it was Rizzo who suggested Chico and Mock for Livo. I understand it was Davey Johnson who suggested the nats pick up Flores in the rule 5 draft. However, if you don't give him credit for the listening to those he has hired you can't blame him and only him for things when they go wrong.

Also, to look at his record while he was with the Reds doesn't make any sense either. I don't care what he did while he was in Cinn. I only care about what he has done as the GM of the Nats. To say we should get rid of him because he made bad decisions in Cinn., just doesn't make sense. It might be a decision or not to hire someone based on past performace, but he should be evaluated for what he has done as the Nats GM.

I just don't see what he could have done differently. I think almost all of his trades have and pick-ups have been great.

It looks like Wily Mo isn't going to pan out, but it didn't cost us much to find that out.

Signing Guzman didn't look smart, but they had to overpay to get him to come to DC and it was to make a little splash with a new team in DC. It looked like it was a horrible move after that first year when he couldn't hit above .200, but look now like it was a decent move.

I just don't get all this BS about we need to spend more money. On who? Would signing Soriano or Guillen or anyone else have made sense or gotten us to the playoff? No. We need to spend money wisely so we can go out and sign that big guy when it will really make a difference. We need to be patient. It is going to take time. The Nats when they came to DC in 2005 were basically an expansion team. Since MLB owned them they spentd no money on the farm system or development because they were supposed to be extracted. I see great strides and I am all for the plan. Injuries have played a huge part in this years team. The Nats are young. It will take time. We all need patience. Just think how good all those wins will be in the future.

Posted by: BRothbart | June 20, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

PB, I can't say that I'm a soccer fan. But trust me, there's no comparison for the Nat's to DC United. The Nats wish they had that passion at there games. Btw the Beckham game will sell out or get damn near close. Just went to my first game and now I'm hooked. Big sorry to the soccer players I harassed in High School.

PS. This said it well NEVER rival Football.

Posted by: Xnatsfan | June 20, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

the Nationals are better at baseball than you. And some of them - including Ryan Zimmerman - are better bloggers.

Posted by: gonats | June 20, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Dan, that would be your beloved Stephen on Capital Hill who created that site. Perhaps the lack of signatures has more to do with his personality than it does his message.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 20, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Xnatsfan, quite a commitment to the team you made if you're already and ex-fan.

The Beckham game and the Nats game will both sell about 35,000 seats. The big difference being that the Nats will sell that many tickets three times in a weekend.

Posted by: PB | June 20, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Arrgh. Can't have a Nats post without a hysterical irrational anti Peter Angelos comment. Angelos is doing nothing to destroy the Nats. The Lerners and Bowden will do just fine on their own. If you don't want the Post to cover the Orioles, then you should convince them to stop advertising and distributing their paper in Montgomery, Prince Georges, Howard, and Anne Arundel Counties. Personally I don't particularly care about zoning issues in Loudoun County. Know what I do? I ignore the articles about them.

Posted by: bowiemd1 | June 21, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Our Orioles stories do surprisingly well online. Maybe Angelo$ is hitting refresh obsessively.

If Ryan Zimmerman is a better blogger than me, my troubles run a lot deeper than I thought.

I know it's Steven on Capitol Hill, and I don't suppose petition signing is the most accurate measure of passion in the world. I retract that statement.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | June 21, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dan! I'm still ready for the interview, also! I sent the email.

I haven't been promoting the petition much, to be honest. It's buried on the page and I haven't posted about it.

I've never really done this before, but I'm encouraged by these developments:
--as far as I can tell, I have more comments on my page in the last week than any of the other amateur Nats blogs.
--60 people have voted in the poll on whom we should hire next.
--shout out from you
--mention on the CP "what to read" page
--A week has gone by and I'm still not bored, and have at least 2 weeks worth of posts lined up!

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 22, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

In the first three years, the Nats did very poorly. But they were, at least, a fun team to watch. This year they are also doing poorly, and they are no longer any fun. They are very boring. The only thing that will provide interest is dramatic changes to management and/or thee team. We should start at the top.

Fire Jim Bowden

And this should be done quickly. He has simply failed, and this is year four. He has not been able to build a team and, contrary to the popular view, he has had the resources.

Following is a table of the bottom six teams in total payroll. The table shows team city, total payroll in millions, and won-loss record as of 7 pm, June 22:

Minnesota - $57M - (40-36)
WASHINGTON - $54M - (30-47)
Pittsburg - $49 - (36-40)
Oakland - 47M - (41-31)
Tampa Bay - $43M - (44-31)
Florida - $22M) - (40-35)

Washington stands out like a sore thumb, very sore indeed. Imagine how much fun the season would be if we had any of the other five teams. This table shows that a quality team can be developed with modest resources. Oakland does it almost every year. Mr. Bowden is clearly not up to this task. He must go!.

I only hope that this call is heeded by sportswriters and commentators, and that they put the pressure on. Are you listening, Chico? Enough is enough.

Posted by: 4-year Season Ticket Holder | June 22, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Forget about firing Bowden or Lenny ...

Fire Clint! Fire Clint! Fire Clint! Fire Clint! Fire Clint! Fire Clint! Fire Clint! Fire Clint! Fire Clint! Fire Clint! Fire Clint!

Posted by: Fire Clint | June 23, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse