Morning Look: Olympians in the Streets

I post this photo of Temple University gymnast Jesse Kitzen-Abelson dismounting from the parallel bars outside of Philly's City Hall for several reasons, none of which is particularly great.

1) I was just in Philly, and signs for these U.S. Trials were everywhere downtown. If "signs hanging in downtown Philadelphia" don't signal Olympic fever, I don't know what does.

2) You find a photo with a D.C. sports connection on a Monday in June.

3) As previously mentioned, I'm going to be in Beijing for basically all of August, and we're already sort of in preparatory mode over here. Like, we already know the name of our hotel. It's called the Hotel Tibet. Good sign, right? Nothing bad could possibly happen there.

Anyhow, if any of you read my blogs from the Turin Games (hey Kim!), you might remember that I did a daily "Cheese of the Day" feature, spotlighting the truly momentous cheeses of Northern Italy. I'm told that China isn't necessarily famous for its cheese, but I'm looking for a similar gimmick, a daily foodstuff that could remain interesting for 25 consecutive days without offending a vegetarian's basic sensibilities. Any of you familiar with China and its foodstuffs, please make some suggestions.

(The photo is by the AP's Matt Rourke.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 17, 2008; 8:34 AM ET
Categories:  Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Confront Indecency
Next: A Capitals Anniversary

Comments

Are they sending you with a photojournalist? Because I know someone who's available and will let you feed him one strange regional foodstuff a day despite the fact that it'll probably make him puke.

Posted by: twoeightnine | June 17, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

So, what Olympic trials are being held in Our Nation's Capital?

*crickets*

Posted by: Geen! | June 17, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Back when I was one of like 7 readers.

How about a tofu dish of the day? Obscure vegetable of the day? Thing Dan won't eat of the day?

Posted by: Kim | June 17, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Vegetarian-friendly? Sheesh. Sometimes, recognizable-ingredient-to-Caucasian-stomachs-friendly is hard enough with Chinese cooking - as a Chinese guy, I should know. If you must, though, perhaps a mushroom or tofu bean curd daily entry, or a dish entry, if that doesn't prove to be enough.

Posted by: FlimFlam | June 17, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

The fruitless quest for cheese could also work. That is if it doesn't land you in some sort of re-education camp.

...but then again, that could work, too if they let you keep the laptop and give you wireless access.

Posted by: Kim | June 17, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, there's Rushan...

The quest for vegetarian street food.

Posted by: B.A. | June 17, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"Dan's Daily Dumpling". There's your idea and a catchy series title. Maybe if you're lucky, "Dumpling Dan" will catch on as a new nickname.

Posted by: Mikeinrockville | June 17, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse