Ovechkin = Svyerkhchelovek

So what's better? A Russian-language gallery of Alex Ovechkin striking various poses while wearing a Superman jersey (aka Svyerkhchelovek, I think) and holding dress shoes bearing a Russian flag, or this quote from a Russian-language-in-translation Ovechkin interview, upon receiving said shoes:

Oh, just my size, 44!" rejoices Ovechkin. "Perhaps indeed, I'll wear these shoes to see Vladimir Vladimirovich? And then I'll go see Yuri Mikhailovich Luzhkov. The mayor of Moscow has also invited hockey players to come visit him."

So basically anything Russian-language-in-translation sounds like The Brothers Karamazov?

"Don't be put out at our eating pancakes - it's a very old custom and there's something nice in that!" laughed Alyosha. "Well, let us go! And now we go hand in hand. And always so, all our lives hand in hand! Hurrah for Karamazov!" Kolya cried once more rapturously, and once more boys took up his exclamation.

(Also receiving votes: the photo of Ovechkin posed with his mini-OV bobblehead.)

(Via the Caps message board; see also Japers Rink

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 5, 2008; 2:14 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What the Heck is Mortines?
Next: Redskins: The Blog Search Continues

Comments

I hear he roams the countryside, purchasing dead souls.

Posted by: kwamesnani | June 5, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin, looking Svyerkh in his rustic style Chelovek shirt. Is that a part of his Streetwear line?

Posted by: Ben | June 5, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Which "Karamazov" translation are you using?

Posted by: Lindemann | June 5, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Close. Sverkhchelovek is the (literal) translation of Nietzsche's "superman" (i.e., Übermensch). Superman in tights is just "Supermen" (Супермен).

Posted by: Bill Walsh | June 5, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I'll admit to the Dostoevsky-ish language, its a fair criticism. But you have to realize I was trying to get through the article while keeping one eye on the Stanley Cup final. If I had taken another day I could have Americanized it better (or at least made it more Ilf&Petrov-ish), but I wanted to get it out while it was still fresh.
Anyway, Thanks much for the recognition, and LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: Tuvan Hillbilly | June 5, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse