D.C. Sports Media Approval Ratings: The Junkies

Although I've met at least one of these guys in person, I still struggle to tell them apart on-air, so we're just doing one entry for all four Junkies here: Cakes, EB, Lurch and JP, whose real names are probably beside the point. As their official bio will tell you, "The Junkies are four buddies from PG County, MD, who blew up on the WJFK airwaves starting in the summer of 1996....The Junkies got their big break in 1996 when the Washington Times wrote an article about their tv show. WJFK gave them a shot on the weekends and the boys blew up."

That's a lot of blowing up, but their popularity is hard to dispute; they finished first among adult-male listeners in almost every major age group in the latest ratings period. Personally, I got far more "Hey, I heard you...." comments for appearing on the Junkies one time than I ever did for my Tony Kornheiser Show interviews. They have been relentlessly covered in the Washington Post; for example, see this massive Magazine profile and this more recent Style section story, which asserted that "since they took over the morning "drive-time" shift on WJFK (106.7 FM) for the departed Howard Stern two years ago, "The Junkies" have steadily gained ground on local radio's royalty. Now, the latest quarterly ratings from Arbitron suggest that the late-30-something pals from the mean streets of Bowie have arrived." More stories available here.

Their broadcasting history includes a cable access show, the 7-11 pm shift on WJFK, the morning drive shift on 99.1 WHFS, the midday slot at WJFK, and, since the beginning of 2006, morning drive at WJFK. They're no longer called the Sports Junkies, and they've often talked of moving away from that world, but they still discuss sports every bit as much as Kornheiser, so they count for these purposes.

Bearing in mind that you have just two options, here's your chance to judge the Junkies. Choose carefully, donkeys, and offer explanation below.

Previously, in order of approval: Steve Buckhantz, Charlie Slowes, Chick Hernandez, Mike Wise, Tony Kornheiser, Steve Czaban, Dave Feldman, Brett Haber, John Riggins, Andy Pollin, Larry Michael.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 19, 2008; 12:03 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WaPo Sports Blog Commenters Unite
Next: Athletes and Obama: An Update

Comments

these Donkeys are money

Elliot sucks!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | June 19, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Thank god these clowns were thrown off Baltimore radio. Keep the DC losers down in DC or we'll send you Nestor Aparicio!

Posted by: eric | June 19, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Much less amusing than they used to be back in the day.

There's never been a radio show -- not even Stern -- that spends so much time on VISUAL stuff, like hotties. Never mind the incessant gambling talk. Never mind that NONE of them can do an interview to save their lives. Never mind that four guys all talking at once basically makes for awful radio. Never mind that if I had a dollar for every time they start a topic and realize that none of them really know anything about it, I could retire.

They can be funny, but now that they're less hungry, and spend MUCH less time on sports, they're a lot less amusing.

Disapprove.

Posted by: TMU | June 19, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

So many haters around here! Quite frankly I'm jealous; I wish I got to spend 5 hours a day on hour BS-ing with my boys.

Posted by: KJ | June 19, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Definitely approve. Once Tony disappears for football season, the Junkies are the best option of there for morning drive-time.

From time to time they can be a little too juvenile for my brain when I'm driving to work half-asleep, but the vast majority of the time they put on a good show.

The old nighttime show back in the day was a lot of fun.

Posted by: Markus V. | June 19, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The Junkies are like Fine Young Cannibals' She Drives Me Crazy... Money! Or as EB would say, "Sinny."

Posted by: plawcas | June 19, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eric | June 19, 2008 12:36 PM

go ahead and stay in balmer hon!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | June 19, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

oh and they are not DC losers but PG county losers you donk

Posted by: jonthefisherman | June 19, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

bmore is just southern philly
they both sssssuuuccckkk (alot)

Posted by: jonthefisherman | June 19, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

These guys suck...disapprove.

Viva EITM!!

Posted by: Eric G | June 19, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

You haven't done one of these yet for someone I can tolerate, let alone approve.

Posted by: FS | June 19, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Approve: Money Metal Johnny Cakes Boxville
Limited approve: JPedia, Big Dummy Lurch
BIG disapprove: Grey-Haired, Butt-Trifling EB

Posted by: silentbob | June 19, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

WHO?!

Posted by: gary in dc | June 19, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

BIG disapprove: Grey-Haired, Butt-Trifling EB

Posted by: silentbob | June 19, 2008 1:25 PM

I kinda have to agree about EB he is Huurting

Posted by: jonthefisherman | June 19, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Wish they were still back on the old night time program. Seriously.

How can you not approve of these guys? I'm shocked this is even close.

Is it against company policy to do something on Thomas Boswell? Can anybody else stand that man's hubris?

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | June 19, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Listener since they took over for Farrell on weeknights in the mid 90s. Occasionally a bit too juvenile, occasionally a bit tedious (like any time EB feels personally offended by something completely inconsequential and therefore screams and rants for about an hour, 50 minutes longer than is funny) but the Junkies are definitely money.

Oh and Eliot sucks. I used to listen to 101 every morning until sometime in high school (97? 98?) he took over and shattered my eardrums with his obnoxious laughs and lame supporting cast. I always assumed he'd fail sooner rather than later, but apparently the listening public disagrees with me, to some extent anyway.

Posted by: mrlogical | June 19, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, a poll on Boz would be good, but how about John Thompson AS A RADIO HOST ONLY?

I'd love to see somebody defend him on that basis.

Posted by: TMU | June 19, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

They're not "claw your eyes out with tablespoons bad". Like Andy Pollin is.

Approve with faint d@mnation.

Posted by: dcpete | June 19, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The Junkies are the best thing on DC morning radio. Period! I do tend to zone out when they ramble on about poker or MMA, but overall, way better than listening to that hyena on 101.

Basically, these guys are just like me, average married dudes who enjoy sports, hot chicks, movies and joning.

Junkies forever.

Posted by: Roy Indiana | June 19, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The Junkies are sports media?

Posted by: WFY | June 19, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE OH PLEASE 104.3 REMOVE ELLIOT AND REPLACE WITH THE JUNKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE ALREADY GET DC101 IN BALTIMORE, AND AS FAR NORTH AS HARFORD COUNTY.

IT WAS A VERY SAD DAY WHEN THE JUNKIES LEFT THE BALTIMORE AIRWAVES BACK IN EARLY 2007.

Posted by: Baltimore | June 19, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"The Junkies are the best thing on DC morning radio"

Posted by: Damning with faint praise | June 19, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

@KJ:

"Quite frankly I'm jealous; I wish I got to spend 5 hours a day on hour BS-ing with my boys."

This is exactly why they suck. I can -- and do sometimes -- spend hours BSing with my friends. Why would I want to listen to four aging, balding idiots do it on the radio? Exactly ... I don't.

@Dan:

" they finished first among adult-male listeners in almost every major age group in the latest ratings period"

Yeah, and WTOP (Booooring!) is the number one radio station in the area. What's that tell you about radio ratings?

As for the argument that they're the best thing on morning radio in DC, that's like saying you've got the best-smelling fart in a fart fight -- they all stink.

Thank goodness for XM Radio.

Posted by: Incredulous | June 19, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

It's four hours of guys talking over each other... loudly. In the morning that's pretty much unbearable.

They're also inexcusably stupid when they attempt to discuss anything outside the realm of sports or their own childish pursuits. I don't expect a lot from talk radio (I'm not expecting NPR's Morning Edition), but I just can't get on board with people who are so utterly clueless on current events.

Mostly though it's just the screaming at each other that I can't deal with at 7:00 AM.

Posted by: Will | June 19, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I thought these guys were fairly amusing when they were on in the evenings if I was driving home from work, if shockingly unprepared and uninformed sometimes --like the Monday before the ACC tournament one year when someone called to talk about the tournament and they had no idea what the matchups were and were hunting around for the info. (Is having the sports section in front of you that hard?)

But when I turned them on the morning after Stern left terrestrial radio, they didn't seem to talk much about sports and were so annoying I threw my clock radio against the wall in less than a half hour. So disapprove.

Posted by: Fingerman | June 19, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Sports Junkies in the evening: Approve

Junkies in the AM: Disapprove

Posted by: Kim | June 19, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

They aren't even the Sports Junkies anymore, they're just the Junkies. I only find them mildly entertaining when they're talking about gambling & sports, both of which they don't discuss much anymore. Disapprove.

Posted by: Chimpanzee Rage | June 19, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

These "media approval ratings" posts are so brutally boring and useless. Despite the lack of DC sports currently being played, I'm fairly certain that the majority of readers would rather read about the competitive and glorious WNBA, than rank DC sports commentators.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I stopped listening to them years ago. They aren't the Sports Junkies anymore, just Junkies. They don't talk too much sports anymore.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Approve. They were better before the went to HFS.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | June 19, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather discuss my favorite Mozart piano sonata than break down the WNBA.

Piano Sonata No. 13 in B-Flat RULZ, bee-otches!

Posted by: TMU | June 19, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Approve in their first stint at JFK and at HFS. Disapprove their efforts over the past few years.

Posted by: Aaron | June 19, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

No-talent dips**ts. Except for Big O and Duke, WJFK is unlistenable.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | June 19, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

SILLY BAZILLY sums up these dudes The most entertaining show in the history of local radio. 4 guys talking sports and life in general with a spin of being home grown local products that everyone especialy all who grew up in PG County in the 80s through 90s can relate too. these guys keep you entertained with all the happening right now News and trends while still grasping to never let go of that hanging with your boys talking smack around the neighborhood setting that most of us remember growing up in HS or college. they are a hit and are in the perfect demographic range for the targeted radio advertising dollars. Dan dont sleep on another up and coming show REAL TALK featuring Daren Jenkins & Rob Suller

Posted by: i got work | June 19, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Approve of them.

Disapprove of the weak a@@ signal strength of 106.7. I live in Olney and can listen for maybe 10 minutes during my drive to Balto before 106.7 fades to static. Crank up the power donkeys.

Posted by: Steve R | June 19, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

The worst part about not living in the DC Area anymore is the absence of EITM.

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 19, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

EITM is so awful, that I get embarrassed for people when they tell me they are a fan of his, especially if they are over the age of sixteen. He is the epitome of what is defined as "hack" radio. Fake laugh, fast and obnoxious voice, bad bits.

The fact that he is so popular in DC shows us how bad this market is. The Junkies are a breath of fresh air, and that is why they were in talkers 100, and Elliot wasn't.

Fans of the genre of radio that is considered "talk radio," aren't fans of Elliot (insert hyena laugh here) Segal.

Posted by: The HS | June 19, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

you gotta bypass the hurting to get to the silly!

Posted by: objective 8 | June 19, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

These guys are the best we have. That says it all doesn't it?

Posted by: caphcky | June 19, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

How can you hate on EB? His blanket statements are some of the most ignorant and yet funniest things ever. When he said all girls from Baltimore top out at 8's was hilarious. And his rant on women keeping a fun scorecard on guys was brilliant.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

DAN,
these guys are like you before you were you. they used to do a segment called "bother the pro" where the would call sports teams at hotels while on roadtrips to ask them some of same things you blog about now ie. whos better dresser on team or what cars the athletes just purchased etc. very similar to the things you blog about now not always the on thecourt story but more of the off the court in the locker room as well as away from the arena skinny that the real fans want to know. definetly give the an approval rating. much like you they keep the world of sports interesting beyond the stats. kudos to both the JUNKS and AGENT STEINZ

Posted by: REAL TALK | June 19, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

the junkies are the definitive morning drive show. . . informative, entertaining and relevant, as is evidenced by their ratings.

Posted by: F.T. | June 20, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

dude junkis are money although JP is a total bag.

Posted by: cps | June 20, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Elliott has a "hole" on his show (Diane?), and The Junkies do not.

Junkies PWN Elliott. Bring them back to 105.7 please.

Also, Opie & Anthony on XM PWN all.

Posted by: Sam | June 20, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Jesus, just looking at these columns makes me think that maybe I dislike their listeners more than I dislike them... you guys make Jim Rome's callers look well-spoken.

Big time disprove on account of all the "donkey" and "silly" and "money-donkeys, silly."
Pauly Shore sends his approval

Posted by: Eric | June 20, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

unprofessional toolbags- I lost all respect when these guys hung up on seth greenberg and proceeded to mock his religion

Posted by: J-Bonius | June 20, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

The synergy going on at WJFK right now is incredible.

Every single show has benefited from all the crossovers.

I've been listening to the Junks since HFS and they have only gotten better with time. Of course the show has changed, if it was the same show they did when they were 30 then it would be stale.

The Junks are slaughtering in the male demo's and that will only continue as WJFK's momentum continues to build. Not as if the station needed to legitimize its legacy any further.

Posted by: Jon | June 20, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Junkies are molllllnnnnny! Long live Roy Indiana. The Latin donkey-a bit of a prick.

Posted by: Fear the tortoise | June 20, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

The junkies are a model for horrendous radio personalities, awful husbands and borderline terrible fathers. Oh, I mean BIG DUMMY LURCH and the rest of these hurTing donkeys need to hook it with deuce staley.

Posted by: b | June 21, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Youre right the WFJK synergy is on point, if only they could cement the lineup with a legit, live, local nighttime show. Rome is cool and all, but it doesn't really fit.

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

hey "b", thats what make them so SILLY

Posted by: MeatOnMyThighs | June 23, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Junkies Ranked

#1 Cakes
#2 Lurch
#4 JP(ego maniac)/EB Turbo Donkey

Love the JUNKS!

Posted by: johnny | June 23, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

All you haters are hurt-ting, they are butt silly. You are all felted.

Posted by: Ricky | June 23, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Love the Gov, Love the Junks

Posted by: Gooner | June 23, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

#1 Sirius Radio #2 Howard Stern #3 Bubba The Love Sponge #4 Scott Ferrall THATS ALL YOU NEED IN LIFE

Posted by: StockMarkKing | June 23, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Jame Mottram loves the sausage

Posted by: Rick.Felt | June 24, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I can't tell them apart.

Posted by: Mick | June 24, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

they are amusing for the ride into work...much more than anything else on.

still can't tell them apart after a couple months though...

Posted by: watcha | July 2, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse