Redskins: The Blog Search Continues

What's the biggest insidery story in sports blogdome today. Ok, it's probably that Will Leitch is leaving Deadspin for New York Magazine.

What's the second-biggest insidery story in sports blogdome today? A second prominent sports blogger has been offered a job by the Redskins, and a second prominent sports blogger, after some hemming and hawing, has declined. This time, it was Chris Mottram, the mastermind behind The Sporting Blog, who, among other things, expressed concern about how much editorial freedom the position would truly entail. Popular topic today.

I've said before that I believe this is a worthwhile concept: hiring an independent blogger with no limits (other than normal human decency) to cover all D.C. sports, and especially to take advantage of the one thing the Redskins have way more than enough of: access. (Well, cash, too.) There's no reason this shouldn't work.

But I'd be remiss if I didn't point out certain similarities in this search and the head coaching search. I just want to know if this makes me Pete Carroll, Steve Spagnuolo or Jim Fassell.

And in one marginally serious note, while old-media still laments the very existence of sports bloggers, you can say this for them today while thinking of our sports-talk radio friends: sometimes, at least, there are those who cannot be bought.

(And yes, I probably have my price.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 5, 2008; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin = Svyerkhchelovek
Next: Enjoying the Weather, Quiet at Nats Park

Comments

Let's see...you turn down the Skins in a VERY public display of morality. Then Leitch leaves Deadspin and there's an opening at one of the top blogs in the country.

Hmm.....

Posted by: Dan Levy | June 5, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

The Big Lead is still a better blog than Deadspin. TBL needs more credit

Posted by: Dwight Howard has 20/20 vision | June 5, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg you'd probably be Spagnuolo; you're a young up and comer who came out of nowhere, used the incredible talent at your disposal (Arenas and the Wizards, Cooley, Ovechkin, Portis) to become one of the coordinators of the Washington Post's successful foray into the internet. You also have a name that is frequently mis-spelled. Is it Steinberg? or Steinburg? Or Stynburgh? If I weren't Jewish I'd probably never know.

Posted by: Ben | June 5, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"Let's see...you turn down the Skins in a VERY public display of morality."

I don't see whether one has the freedom to mock the Redskins while employed by the Redskins as a moral (or even an ethical) issue. But whatever.

Posted by: Lindemann | June 5, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

The only problem with Steinz going to Deadspin is he thrives on access to players/personnel. Deadspin doesn't work that way.

And no, although TBL is very good it is no Deadspin

Posted by: JDP | June 5, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, you need to do something about these commenters.

Posted by: Chris Mottram | June 5, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess that's why Hirshey gave up writing the futbol blog there; his boy was leaving the site.

As for the Skins blogger, does Xmas Ape still need a job?

(stealing a joke I already made at Mr Irrelevant)

Posted by: odessasteps | June 5, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Mottram stay out of the Sports Bog comments. You and Steinz already share your jinxing of MD basketball, thats enough.

Posted by: JDP | June 5, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

TBL is written by a star-f*cking 12 year-old girl.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Who is Jamie Mottram and how can he be a prominent sports blogger if nobody knows him? Who's left for the Diminutive One to get? A DC-based blogger? Hmmmm. Kornheiser took the buyout didn't he?

Posted by: UMD's Burning Couch | June 6, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse