Breaking: DeShawn Wins Beard Bet

By Preston Keres - TWP.

DeShawn Stevenson is a stubborn man. He made it clear to me many times that there was not a realistic scenario in which he would lose his much-discussed beard bet with Drew Gooden. I fully expected both men to eventually meet their maker while rocking a Methuselah.

Well, I expected wrong. Drew Gooden may be a fine NBA basketball player, but he evidently lacks DeShawn's untrimmable will to win. From the profile of DeShawn in this month's issue of SLAM:

Beyond the material stuff, No. 2 also gets love on the streets. Like a Capitol Hill politician, the Washington guard gives dap on the streets and autographs hats at restaurants. Maybe folks recognize the facial hair. ("By the way, I won the beard contest with Drew Gooden. He cuts his. I need my money, too, Drew!")

And then, boom, that's it, the story moves on. In one of the most stunning journalistic lapses since Barry Svrluga neglected to take photos of Nick Johnson's Lightning Bolt, the SLAM writer evidently forgot to ask DeShawn what becomes of his facial hair now; specifically, which charity will benefit when he ends up auctioning off the bag of trimmings some night at Love. But that's ok, because SLAM dropped several other soul patches worth of knowledge. Like:

* DeShawn bought 10 copies of Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter III" and might go buy 10 more. This is the theory I employ with pacifiers; you can never have too many laying around, just in case.

* DeShawn's friend Carl Ross, the man who wore a coonskin cap to the '80s party, also likes to talk. "His swagger is too crazy to not be on top," Carl said, concerning DeShawn's feud with LeBron.

* DeShawn has decided to scale back the war of words with LeBron and be properly respectful of The King, except in an opposite sort of way. "I don't care how big you are," he said. "I feel like he's an awesome player, but I feel like if you attack me, do it like I do it. Say it out loud. Don't be one of those scary [?] girls and say it behind closed doors where nobody's gonna hear you. If you don't like something I do, say it out loud so we can deal with it as two men."

Did he just call LeBron a scary girl?

* And most importantly, DeShawn knows that Not Feeling One's Face has become a cultural signifier. Here's what he said:

"I started seeing lil' kids do it. Then the Playoffs started and it just took to a whole different level. LeBron did it back at me. When I walk into the clubs, people do it. It's a good response. I take it as respect. I feel like, if I wasn't nobody, they wouldn't know what it was or they wouldn't do it."

Quadruple negative! Is it up or is it down! Is it good or is it wack? Only the Man With the Beard knows! But in terms of cultural signification, please read on. This comes from Reader Pete:

Was at the Celtics-Pistons Game 5 last night in Boston. They showed the Patriots DE Jarvis Green on the Jumbotron and he did the I can't feel my face move. Just thought you would like to know that its sweeping the nation.

This previously mentioned e-mail came from Reader Mark:

I am pretty sure I just saw Lastings Milledge do the DS "I can't feel my face" after an RBI single in the bottom of the 2nd inning (Saturday afternoon game against the Pirates). After his hit the camera panned to him at first base, and right then I saw what appeared to be Milledge waving his hand over his face.

And this came from Reader Redd:

Hey, let's keep going. THIS one came from Reader Chris:

My son is 21 months old and is learning new words every day. Lately, he's been taking to repeating everything I say. So in honor of Gilbert, whenever I change his diaper, I shoot it into the trash can (at an amazingly high percentage!) and say "Hibachi!" So when I did it today, I hear my son repeat "Hi ba ba." I take it he's glad that Gilbert's staying with our Wiz too!

More from the DeShawn story at Bullets Forever. More Wizards madness at Wizznutzz, which is debuting new t-shirts and new incites this week. Now I've got to go home and teach my daughter to say Hi ba ba.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 28, 2008; 12:18 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Look: This Car Loves the Redskins
Next: Jason Fabini's Night in the Kitchen

Comments

well, he certainly can't win against Lebron and the Cavs, so good for him for winning at something.

Posted by: dctony | July 28, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Uh, hate to break to you all, but if it's sweeping the nation I doubt it has much to do with DS. Anyone notice it's exactly the same move as (WWE superstar for those who don't know) John Cena's "you can't see me" move? I will guarantee you his audience is a lot bigger than the Wizards. And he's been doing it for several years.

Posted by: vbxtc | July 28, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

andy murray was simply asking for a towel to wipe his face

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

They all stole the "I can't feel my face" thing from John Cena of WWE fame.

Posted by: B. | July 28, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Junkie EB was seen unable to feel his face shorty after this mornings interview with Batista.

Speaking of wrasslin', I wonder which Wiz Kids will be at WWE tonight. I hope your there Steinz.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | July 28, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I think I saw some girls doing the move in a Chilli's or Applebee's commercial... Maybe just wishful thinking.

Posted by: Mustachio | July 28, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Saw LSU's players do it two years ago

Posted by: JG | July 28, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Just to confirm the above comment, many tennis players have been doing this move for many years to indicate to the ball boy or girl that a towel is desired to wipe sweat away from the face. A friend and I actually have a running joke that DeShawn simply wants a towel.

Posted by: J$ | July 28, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"I knew I could get past my defender". Sound familiar? LeBron says it out loud all of the time... in press conferences, interviews, what have you. DeShawn just listens a bit slower than most. Plus LeBron is charimatic with his and DeShawn wouldn't know nothing about that. "I knew I could get past my defender". Yes, DeShawn... he was talking about you. And that can be interpreted in many ways... that's the media version. Drew let you in on the hood version.

Posted by: SuperSassy | July 28, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of WWE and such:

Posted by: Bridge | July 28, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Tony Yayo, John Cena.......... And they both did it like 5 years ago.....

Posted by: Krizzy | July 28, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Tony Yeyo was the first person I have seen doint the "I cant feel my face" gesture, it was about 4 years ago, then I seen him ddo it about 3 years ago in a video. Also, it isnt "I cant feel my face" It is "you cant see me".

Posted by: Steven Sonis Aloser | July 29, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

DeShawn is such a bum.. he honestly didnt start that whole "i cant feel my face" ... its been going on for years in sports.

There is the real versions where you wave your hand infront of ur face meaning "YOU CANT SEE ME" then the other is when you just do it and blow meaning "My Hand Is On Fire"

Why is he trying to take credit for something he didn't bring up.. oh yeah because in his mind, or lack of one. He is the greatest ever and thinks he is a idol. When really he is one of the laughing stocks of the NBA.

Posted by: Nate | July 29, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

One more thing... the whole "I cant feel my face" thing.. is a quote that is associated with Cocaine use.

Maybe this is just DeShawns way of telling us he is a major coke head.

I mean it would explain A LOT of things.

Posted by: Nate | July 29, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Deshawn is pathetic. How can really believe that he is somebody? Stevenson is a bottom feeder. A disposable pawn in the NBA. He is nothing more than ghetto trash par excellence. It's sad that it takes so little for the hood crowd to feel disrespected or validated.

Posted by: Eric | July 29, 2008 6:34 AM | Report abuse

ummm you guys understand that Murray was requesting for a towel right? He wasn't doing DeShawn impression, but in tennis, one of the ways that you signal the ball boys to give you your towel is you motion your hand infront of your face like you're dabbing the sweat off of it.....I guess Dan Steinberg and Redd haven't watched too many matches.

"Today I was watching Wimbledon Tennis, Murray vs. Malisse and Andy Murray the British No. 1 had one two straight points, the second of which was a pretty convincing ace. As he walked back to the service line from hitting the shot he put his hand in front of his face and waved it a la Deshawn Stevenson. Being a big Wizards and Bog fan I felt your attention should be brought to this."

Posted by: Buster | July 29, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Just as it was assumed that Eddie Jordan is/was (?) the brother of MJ (lol), it probably would've been assumed that I, too was doing the "I can't feel my face" while at Disney World last year, but in reality, that was me just drowning while motioning "I can't swim!"

Also, the person who just got a "get out of jail" free card throughout all this craziness is Drew G. Dude just seem to be chillin right now...What, did he tell DS all this straight out of his Cavs uniform. If so, then that right there, is a chick move. Just move on about it already!...

Posted by: Bridge | July 29, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Tony Yayo started that move.

Love the scary girl quote about Lebron

Posted by: Dwight Howard has 20/20 vision | July 29, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

DeShawn didn't say that LeBron was 'scary' as in he was frightening. Assuming he's using a vernacular form of the language, 'scary' also can mean scared.

DeShawn is saying that LeBron is scared to say anything out loud, not that he's a 'scary girl'.

Posted by: Mark | July 29, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Hi Haters. Regardless of if you like the guy or not, within context it is a sign recognized for his usage and his own meaning.

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I got a sweet Prison beard that would kill his. My brohter's name is Prison Beard.

Posted by: Prison Balls | July 29, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Deshawn isnt even in the same Leauge as Lebron, so he should consider keeping Brons name out his mouf!

Posted by: Ken | July 29, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Man - so many haters on here talking about Deshawn Stevenson sucks, is a nobody in the NBA, blah blah blah.

YO - you're leaving comments on a blog article about him. Doesn't sound like a nobody to me.

Posted by: Ross | July 29, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, you guys are all taking DS alittle to serious. Who cares if he is or isnt in LJ league or not. he is just out there having fun. Besides it give you all something to complain about...

Posted by: Brad | July 30, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

If u dont like Deshawn Stevenson or the Wizards then stop reading about them on the WASHINGTON post website you damn idiots

Posted by: FCKLANY | July 30, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I agree wit you FCKLANY...if u dnt like that man then y u readn bout him...he aint a bottom feeder cuz he BALLING and yall HATING...BigUpsHaterz...lol....WIZ ALL DAY, WE GONNA WIN ONE SOON.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Good for you DeClown! You finally won SOMETHING!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Where the 14 year old girls at? DeClown's buying drinks!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Did Deshawn take credit for it or did people start giving him credit for it? I don't like it or hate it, it's just a gesture but people need to stop hating on DeShawn, he never said he was the first to do this gesture.

Posted by: apreid | July 31, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Actually, if you look closely at 40 second mark at this clip. You can clearly see the guy doing the I cant feel my face move

I believe this happened in 2004 or 2005, so he is the first person to not feel his face and Deshaun took it from him

Posted by: Tolu | August 4, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse