Viral Redskins Videos (UPDATED)

Updated: Forget it. As of about 5 pm, maybe five-and-a-half hours after I put up this entry, I was told to take down all the videos, on advice of counsel. So forget all the rest of this. I lose. They win. They're all my daddies. I give up.

Yesterday I posted an innocuous, brief video of two screaming Redskins fans from the opening day of training camp. Never once did my camera stray anywhere close to a sector of Redskins Park where football players might be seen. All you could see was five diehard Skins fans, screaming. Five faces. Sweaty faces, but still, just faces. We could have been in the parking lot of a Costco.

But this is 2008, and this is the Redskins, and videos of fans screaming at football practice are exclusively the property of the Redskins. I mean, this isn't that hard a policy to understand: no video clips from Redskins Park, featuring anything of burgundy and gold substance, shall be posted. None. Nada. Zip. Zorn.

Unless, of course, we're talking about the Web sites of Comcast SportsyNet. Or WRC. Or WUSA. Or Chris Cooley. Or Fox 5, which posted an online video of THE EXACT SAME FAN! Then it's fine. (WJLA, thankfully, has remained pure of on-field Web video.)

So yeah, I was told my video had to come down. And come down it did. The official explanation, approximately, is that the TV stations are permitted to post video because they are TV stations and video is their core business. The Washington Post is a newspaper and newspapering is its core business. Well, that and test prep, I guess. Not sure why we're paying all those people to staff the Web site, that being the case. In fact, not sure why we're paying me to blog, since this clearly isn't our core business.

But heck with all that. I'll just take all those other peoples' videos! I mean, there they are, on the Internet! Nothing can possibly go wrong with this plan! It's online Redskins videopalooza! Hey, I'll even throw in a video from the official Redskins Blog for good measure! Theft is always preferable to actual work! Theft should be our core business!

By late this afternoon, expect the NFL to have banned embeddable videos from the universe.

(That, friends, was the first sports prediction I have ever nailed on the dot in my life.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 22, 2008; 11:26 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taylor: Taking it One Year at a Time
Next: New From Zorn: Ice Dancing and Zamboni Driving

Comments

Steinberg: sticking it to the man!

Posted by: JDP | July 22, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

In the face of such buffoonery, I really wish the Post would pack up shop and leave. Go cover the Terps instead. Or even Ravens football. The fact is that the midget doesn't see the value of the press. The Post, then, should simply refuse to cover him...at least electronically.

Posted by: UMD's Burning Couch | July 22, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Can you please stop promoting "The Official Redskins Blog" The thing is unreadable. Bet your glad you didnt take that job....

Posted by: chris larry | July 22, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Your videos are better! But if it pisses the Redskins off, then please continue to post these other videos....

Posted by: Bobby Digital | July 22, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Steinz,

No automatically playing videos please~!

Posted by: odessa steps magazine | July 22, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

This is the kind of nonsense that makes it INCREDIBLY hard to support this team. And I agree with chris larry, PLEASE stop promoting the Official Redskins Blog. The Official Redskins Blog Officially Stinks. Right off the bat the kid takes the Post to task about Wise's coverage of the Taylor trade and tries to sweep the last nine years of poor management under the rug of the first two years of the Snydermess. Oh how I miss the sweet whispers of Pepper Rogers.

This is a fine trade...But I swear... if Taylor starts lining up 15 yards away from the tackles so he can get a better angle on the quarterback, gets caught drunk driving in Virginia Beach and then Snyder decides to hawk a commemorative coin for his time spent here...I'm done being a Redskins fan.

Posted by: DCLance | July 22, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The Chesapeake Watershed Region Indigenous Persons do not deserve coverage if they ban videos! DC United would never do that! Nor the Kastles!

FY, (synonym for cat)!!!

Posted by: Boycott Snyder Now! | July 22, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Probably not worth the effort, but just because they asked you take down the video doesn't mean you have to. There is no way that taking video of fans on public property, whether it be outside Redskins Park or not, is a violation of any Intellectual Property laws. The core business argument kills me it's utter inanity.

Danny must hate the Internet. Too much freedom of expression out here.

Posted by: Maximus | July 22, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, we weren't on public property. We weren't on the field, but we were inside the gates of Redskins Park. Their land.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | July 22, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I think Danny and his minions read "1984" a few too many times.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | July 22, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow that's pretty lame of them

Posted by: Johansen | July 22, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I like your daddies...

Posted by: B.A. | July 22, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Do these videos still exist underground somewhere?

Posted by: Chris in SS | July 24, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

..its amazing the print journalists for years bashed tv- radio people _but now look...the print people are everywhere..howard cosell is turning over and over again...you don't see al michaels, vin scully -or bob costas runnning to their local fish wrap -and asking to write a column....nobody - repeat nobody would know - kornheiser, wilbon,bayless,feinstein,mariotti or any other print hack - if it was not for tv or radio. remember that- its a fact !

Posted by: radio | July 25, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Danny really has to learn the meaning of a free and impartial press. The press isn't out there to bash him in general. But if he's going to treat them harshly, they will see no other way to cover the team. I've been a Redskin fan for a long time and in the time Danny has been the owner, everything he does has had a reverse Midas effect. Next thing you know, WTEM will be seriously losing listenership. Six Flags' stock is already down the toilet. Danny really has to lighten up.

Posted by: Jay | July 25, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Snyder has managed to control the media.

1. He kept clowns like Czaben so he could put a muzzle on him basically. Keep your enemies closer.

2. He put a generic boring white guy in with Doc Walker ruining the best show in DC.

He owns allthe sports radio and has managed to control the DC media.

Posted by: Snyder stinks | July 25, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I watched a reporter get barked at during Ravens practice by a P.R. flack. for simply standing in the wrong spot.

It's not just the Redskins.

Posted by: Raven | July 26, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse