Dave Barry Discusses Fencing, Cheese

One question I've grappled with in recent days: how to attempt droll tales of Olympic and dairy-producdt absurdity when some others in my immediate vicinity (ahem, Sally Jenkins) are being all serious and thinking important thoughts and writing about pollution and corporate profiteering and the despoiling of the Olympic dream. Kinda tough to jump from that to yak cheese and the Icelandic handball team.

So when famous humor person Dave Barry wandered near our office recently, I awkwardly hung around in his vicinity and waited to ask him certain key questions about how best to perform my assigned job duties. He agreed to speak with me, and then proceeded to curse at me and make fun of my hair.

But he also offered a dose of introspection on, among other things, fencing, curling, rhythmic gymnastics and cheese. We didn't make it to yak cheese, per se, but perhaps we'll meet again during halftime of an Icelandic handball match. Oh, and go read his droll columns about life in China, provided you don't point out that they're droller than mine.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 8, 2008; 11:44 AM ET
Categories:  Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Amanda Beard Talks About Being Naked
Next: Olympic Linkage

Comments

AWESOME! YOU and Dave rule!

Posted by: Bunky Nelson | August 8, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

How the hell can he make fun of Steinberg's hair. He looks like he borrowed his off an 8-year old.

Posted by: ACS | August 8, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

What more can you ask for hilarity, cheese, random sports - great get!

Posted by: soonermama | August 8, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

More cheese, less toilet paper. Brilliant Dave.

Maybe when Steinz gets older he can grow a head of hair like that also.

Posted by: JDP | August 8, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

And I'm not making that up.

Posted by: JDP | August 8, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Not just a little droller, cheeseboy. A LOT droller.

Excuse me while I go check on which one of my family of four is actually living in China.

Posted by: Russian Judge | August 8, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Great that you conducted that interview outside of the Hall of Supreme Harmony.

Posted by: UMD's Burning Couch | August 8, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

It was nice of Dave to get into the Olympic spirit by getting the Bruce Jenner haircut.

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | August 8, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg has hair?

Posted by: Beaker | August 8, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I love Dave Barry and this was great, but I agree with ACS's comment: he has no right to comment on ANYONE'S hair. He looks like he's had the same barber since grade school. Dave, please, you're so adorable...get a new 'do!

Posted by: janeleeb | August 12, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse