Gone Fishin (for Tinned Cod)

Hey, I was supposed to do this earlier, but just a little heads-up that neither I nor anyone else will be posting new entries here for a couple days. Need some space to let the smog clear.

Starting after Labor Day, my focus will shift squarely to Fred Smoot, the Wizards' invasion of Fortress Europa, D.C. United's attempt to prove that ain't no meaningless regular season like an MLS meaningless regular season, the Caps' inevitable drive toward long-bearded Stanl(e)y Cup success and the Washington Post's deep and abiding animosity toward all things Nats-related.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 26, 2008; 3:43 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rock Paper Scissors Gold
Next: 2008-2009 Redskins Odds

Comments

I'll miss you

Posted by: Ed Lee | August 26, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Ok, but don't be mad if all of the SMACK! bars are in JLC's trunk when you get back.

Posted by: StetSports.com | August 26, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

If you can turn all your fans in Iceland into Nats fans, the Nats fanbase may double.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

There you are - got worried there...

Posted by: Bridge | August 26, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bobbie | August 26, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bobbie | August 26, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Just want to say I thoroughly enjoyed your postings from Beijing, and now that I have found your "bog" again after having lost track of it post-Turin, I promise to keep reading. Perhaps not commenting (though I will likely be unable to help myself if you wax toward fermented milk products and gloriously inspired, generally obscure practitioners of those less commercial athletic endeavors), but definitely reading! Cheers, Bobbie

Posted by: www.howdowetellourselvesthetruth.blogspot.com | August 26, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Last!

Posted by: Rob Iola | August 26, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Last!

Posted by: Rob Iola | August 26, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Dan! Your last post about the Olympics not mattering worried me. Sports doesn't matter, but "we murder to dissect" and it sure is fun! Listen to Charlie and Dave in the waning days of summer - they have a really good time, and will turn your day around! 2 hbp, the pitcher walked by Balester, 0 outs and bases loaded. Time to think back on Charlie and Dave's great moments! When I was coming out of the Home Depot in 2005 and heard the heartfelt, "Bang, Zoom!" when the Chief of Cardiology astounded a Charlie who was used to calling Tampa games, when Tampa was still "bitter as devil's spit" (Stephen Hunter-we love you! What a gift in our hour of need!) The experience of calling the woeful Devil Rays' games stood Charlie in good stead during a game this year in which there were 3 errors by Our Nats, and Charlie said, in a happy voice identical to his IHOP inflections, "This is the worst inning we've seen all year!" His philosophical comments on the Jewish Wedding of the Philly Phanatic as Dave struggles to cal the game is in my Charlie and Dave Hall of Fame, as is Charlie's "Cry for Coffee" in RFK and Dave's scolding, abstemious response. Dave's comments on Jr. Steinbrener's critique of the NL after Wang's injury on the basepaths, and then his saying, "Kiss that job goodbye!" The thrilling intro to the broadcast, especially Dave's call of Felipe Lopez's grand slam against Aaron Heilman to break open a game against the Mets last May, and Charlie's call of Zimmerman's walk-off on opening night in the new park. The best four words in our language? Charlie or Dave saying, "We're ready for baseball. "

Posted by: flynnie | August 26, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget about the ATLANTIC 11!

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | August 26, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Please learn to spell my name correctly.

Posted by: Lord StanlEy | August 27, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

welcome back

Posted by: misschatter | August 27, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

As a Caps fan, NOTHING makes me happier than knowing that the God awful Nats are WAPO's new whipping boys. BWHAHAHAHAHA enjoy SUCKAS!

Posted by: Cart | August 27, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Go to www.dalockerroom.com for news on sports, music, politics, women and more.

Posted by: DLR | August 27, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Happy fishin', Dan. Thanks again for all the Beijing blogging.

Posted by: Andy | August 27, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Agent Steinz why dont you shock us all and show at Wizards training camp sporting a few tattoos

Posted by: i got work | August 27, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

You all do hate the Nationals.

Posted by: Mike | August 28, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Everyone hates the Nationals, Mike. Manny Acta hates the Nationals. President Bush hates the Nationals. The players' moms hate the Nationals. The Lerner family hates the Nationals. The Nationals hate the Nationals. And you hate the Nationals.

The sooner you admit it, the sooner we can start healing.

We'll get 'em next year...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 28, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

who cares about baseball anyways, it's only fun when you watch it drunk at the game.

Posted by: MNMNT | August 28, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Let me ask you something ... can anyone here tell me what inning it is?

Posted by: Miller High Life delivery guy | August 28, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

China was hard. The picture of Boswell asleep beneath the table said it all. Steins, may your reunion with your family and your time off be refreshing and restorative! May the "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, close bosom friend of the maturing sun, Conspiring with him how to load and bless with fruit the vines which 'round the thatch eves run" befriend and bless you and yours!

Posted by: flynnie | August 31, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steinbog, the f__king Olympics are over! How bout reporting on sports happening on THIS continent?

I hear something's about to kick off w/the NFL.

Posted by: What? Who? | September 1, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse