How Long Does it Take to Lose a Blackberry in Beijing?

The height of early-August Beijing style.

The answer to the question above? In my case, considerably less than 24 hours.

This was a happy development, because when I went to the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, it took a good two weeks before I managed to leave my cell phone on a bus and then spend an entire Saturday taking obscure train routes up into the Alps to some remote bus depot to recover the precious mobile device.

In Beijing, figured I'd get that adventure out of the way right quick, leaving my brain cancer device in the back seat of the first cab I took. Brilliant. My sympathetic co-workers concentrated on taking photos of me as I dropped to the pavement and assumed a sort of deranged fetal position. Somehow, through the mercy of our Washington Post translator, we called the cabbie and he met us back where he had dropped us off within 45 minutes. I probably didn't give him a big enough tip.

Other highlights from a day of pre-Olympic sightseeing:

* Half-shirted men. This is big. In several ways. And occasionally tough to stomach. To cool down, the stylish trick for fun-loving men who want to look hip and modern is to sort of scrunch their shirts somewhere north of belly button but south of breast, allowing perhaps eight-to-ten inches of bare torso to luxuriate in the open. The amount of skin can increase for the particularly fashion-forward, as pictured above.

Men really ought to adopt that look back home. Ray King, especially.

My favorite military unit, besides SnortNavy and SmokeMarines.

* Chinese tourists wearing t-shirts with inscrutable English captions. "Can you ride a wheel?" Not completely sure. "Fashion girl you will always have a special place in heart." Great to hear. "Do your best even though whatever." Couldn't have put that one any better. "GameTeam" Sure, as long as we GoTime? "Mouth Love You." Sexy. And my personal favorite, "Curly Sue How Many Flappermove?" Um, seven?

* American chain restaurants. Pizza Hut, KFC, T.G.I Friday's, Starbucks, and McDonald's, all in one morning.

* Tom Boswell. Bright white shoes with bright white socks. Live it, love it. But more fanny pack, please.

* Some cab drivers who seem unfamiliar with the fact that many acres of gleaming new Olympic fake villages have been dropped in their midst. Like, our cab ride to the Forbidden City? Twenty-five minutes, zero frenzied gesticulations with folded maps, and 28 Yuan. Our cab ride back to the media center, which is located in the middle of newly built and super shiny OlympicLand? About an hour of driving, several mid-highway windows-down conversations with other cabs, a phone call from the cab driver to his English-speaking friend, all manner of folded-map gymnastics, an unscheduled mid-highway pit stop to discuss (pictured below) and seventy-one Yuan.

Our cabbies, discussing what to do. In the middle of the highway.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 3, 2008; 12:50 PM ET
Categories:  Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cover Your Mouth! Smog!
Next: Signs of the Games: Foot Massage Club

Comments

Can the Post send you to South Africa for the World Cup as well?

Posted by: sitruc | August 3, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Can the Post send you to South Africa for the World Cup as well?

===

now THERE'S an idea!

Posted by: littles | August 3, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Agent Steinz,
start lobbying now to make the wizards European preseason trip...the question to ask most european basketball fans ..Do you Know Daren Jenkins? answers will vary by language but all will translate to NO!!!

Posted by: i got work | August 3, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Look for me at the DC United game with my half shirt on.

TheSportsAffiliate.com

Posted by: thesportsaffiliate | August 3, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I have plenty of good ideas that I'd be willing to share if Comcast got me into WC matches in South Africa, littles....

Posted by: sitruc | August 4, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

I can help sitruc in any way he would need were he to be sent to South Africa.

Posted by: B.A. | August 4, 2008 5:05 AM | Report abuse

Is that guy the Dead Tree Crew Ambassador to Beijing? I think so. The doughy physique and dull look in his eyes are a dead giveaway!

Posted by: Nice Wife-beater! | August 4, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

That's hot. Ok it isn't.

Posted by: Maggie | August 4, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

""""Chinese tourists wearing t-shirts with inscrutable English captions. "Can you ride a wheel?" Not completely sure. "Fashion girl you will always have a special place in heart." Great to hear. "Do your best even though whatever." Couldn't have put that one any better. "GameTeam" Sure, as long as we GoTime? "Mouth Love You." Sexy. And my personal favorite, "Curly Sue How Many Flappermove?" Um, seven? """"

I just burst out laughing.

I love the freebase army shirt too.

Posted by: Jeff V | August 4, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

if there was a curly sue shirt out there, then there may be an uncle book one too

Posted by: thigh master | August 4, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

that should read 'uncle buck', although their bootleg copies of the film may be called 'uncle book'

Posted by: thigh master | August 4, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

This post is too hilarious. Really, i'm reading this at work and i'm constantly laughing out loud. Of course no one in my office knows what im doing.

Posted by: Betty | August 6, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse