Signs of the Games: Forget it, Jake

I hope I'm not somehow being offensive here, but I just don't quite get this one. I see it every time I take a bus ride back to our office from the water polo natatorium and/or handball gymnasium, which is more frequently than you might think. It's part of the Chinatown Shopping Center, which, in an odd twist of fate, is actually located in China?

So I ask, what's the opposite of an oxymoron? Is there any place in our country that would call itself "U.S. America United States Town?" Outside of Manassas?

And just to satisfy my proud Beijing readers, here's a photo taken near the hotel where the U.S. men's basketball team is staying. The sky, you'll note, is blue. Again. Two days in a row. Making the Sports Smog title a bit problematic. Again. Maybe we should re-name it the Beijing Sports Athletics Competition Collection of First-Person Offbeat Olympics Anecdotes Olympics Blog.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 16, 2008; 10:59 AM ET
Categories:  Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olympic Athletes Bartering for Knock-Off Clothes
Next: Judo's Mark Mangino

Comments

Change the title all you want, but this is a bog not a blog.

Posted by: sitruc | August 16, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Mall of the Americas?

Posted by: af | August 16, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, whoa, WHOA, Steinbog, why you gotta crap on Manassas?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 16, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I think the word you're looking for is redundant.

Posted by: Giannicolus Jones | August 16, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the sign really says. Perhaps the person who translated the sign to English was the same bloke who came up with "hand shredded ass meat".

And what's at the top of that pole to the left? Are those giant telephone handsets?

Posted by: Tofudebeast | August 16, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I guarantee there's a town in Texas called U.S. America United States Town.

Posted by: twoeightnine | August 16, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, what's with dissing Manassas? Even if it is Nova's armpit...

Posted by: Rob Iola | August 16, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse