The Final Week of the Olympics

Thomas Boswell, asleep.

I was going to make a late-night post with some quotes from the U.S. women's soccer team, but then I listened to the tape.

"We know it's going to be a complete dogfight the whole entire time, and it's going to come down who wants it more," Heather Mitts said of the upcoming final against Brazil.

"I have a feeling it is gonna be back and forth, but we're gonna have to try to settle down and play our game and keep possession as well," Shannon Boxx said.

"We're just trying to take it as just a normal game," Natasha Kai said. "And going into the final, I think there's 11 of us that this is going to be our first final in the Olympics, so there's a lot of excitement, a lot of nerves. We're playing Brazil and they're a great team, so it's going to be a great match."

Yeah. That's right. I've got nothing. It feels like we've been here for 37 weeks, that my entire muscular system is made up of sauteed kale, that Coca Cola runs through my veins and little vertebrae-shaped Visa cards support my spine. As you can see, some of my co-workers are feeling it as well. At one point in a recent afternoon, four of them were asleep in our office simultaneously.

And now I must go watch the Swedish women's handball team.

Barry Svrluga, asleep.

Sally Jenkins, asleep.

Amy Shipley, asleep.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 19, 2008; 12:42 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Inside Heather Mitts's iPod
Next: Inflatable Kangaroo Aussies on TV

Comments

you are a soldier dan, did ya ever chek out the track cycling or was that too nerdy even for you? OR will we get awesome gold medal coverage? Stay on target.

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

There needs to be a WAPO edition of "Goodnight Moon."

Posted by: odessasteps | August 19, 2008 2:20 AM | Report abuse

The games are a marathon for everyone who has to work at them. Being fall-over tired goes with the turf.

Now is the time to stretch and start seeing what exhibition sports you can cram in... heheh

Posted by: Nym | August 19, 2008 5:44 AM | Report abuse

Have a search to submit, http://olympiantips.blogspot.com/

Posted by: girish | August 19, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Can I get a job at the Post? I get yelled at when I sleep at my desk.

Posted by: ahern | August 19, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Don't you people have hotel rooms to sleep in?

Posted by: Ron | August 19, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Bucket. Warm water.

Posted by: Rob Iola | August 19, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

That could also be the Nationals' Press Box.

Posted by: Kim | August 19, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Can I get a job at the Post? I get yelled at when I sleep at my desk.

------ahern

They don't care anyway

Posted by: bike | August 19, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

How come Boswell rates a mattress, pillow, and actual sheets?

Posted by: babsy1 | August 19, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Boswell is George Costanza!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I really dont get what this has to do with schudeling this stuff and these people need to be away that is why there is nothing on here about what i asked for.

Posted by: jeffery lowery | August 19, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

MaN IF YOU CANT HACK IT DONT SLEEP IN THE BOX SLEEP OUT IN THE TRUCK OR CALL IT IS UNCALLED FOR AND ME ARE RELAING ON THESE PEOPLE TO GET THINGS TO US ABOUT THE OLYMPICS THAT CRAPPY MAN DO YOU JOB. I DO MINE WHAT IS SO DIFFERENT ABOUT YOU. DO YOUR JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jeffery lowery | August 19, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted by: re: J Lowery | August 19, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

You learn a lot watching people sleep.

Boswell likes it in tight places.
Svrluga does it with his shoes on.
Jenkins curls up in the fetal position.
Shipley can do it anywhere.

Posted by: Carson | August 20, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse