These Olympic Stands Sure Are Full

Yeah, this is somewhat of a cheap shot, or shots, I guess. During the above photo, it was raining lightly in the ninth inning of a U.S. rout over the Netherlands. We had already sat through a rain delay of well over an hour. But it wasn't really that full before the rain started, and when I snapped this photo it was hardly raining at all. And probably one-third of the people pictured were related to U.S. players.

The bottom photo was taken midway through the fourth quarter of an Australia rout over Iran. Iran vs. Australia in hoops is probably not a marquee ticket, even in a close game, much less a 40-point Aussie demolition. And some of these seats are reserved for members of the "Olympic family," which means they're not actually sold as seats.

So, there's that. And tell me I'm being unfair. But still, I went to two sporting events thus far at today's sold-out Olympics, and this is what I saw.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 14, 2008; 6:29 AM ET
Categories:  Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Evander Holyfield at Club Bud
Next: USA Baseball Wins, Bizarrely

Comments

I don't think that you're being unfair. I've really enjoyed your coverage of the Olympics so far. Not quite as entertaining as Turin, but I don't think that the material is quite as good (no cheese and fewer obscure sports).

Posted by: Sherry | August 14, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Isn't this like the standard MLB "it's half empty, but let's play the paid attendance game" thing, where somehow there are 44k in "paid attendance"?

Tickets are sold out, but no one is going to (a lot of pu-pu platter) events? Makes you wonder who bought the tickets, or who the Chinese government gave them too...

Posted by: ckstevenson | August 14, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Ticket Master's "Best Available" option failed miserably again. I still want to know how I was able to get a ticket behind the Orioles dugout on the night of a game, but Ticket Master told me the best available in the park was in the upper deck down the right field line.

Posted by: Jarrod | August 14, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I guess that some companies buy a lot tickets as a group. They use these tickets as a gift to their business partners or employees. So many people have the tickets of the games they are not interested in or don't even know. It is their freedom to decide not to show up.

Posted by: mond | August 14, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

What do you want to say? Is that an issue? So you think the stadium should be full just because it is the Olympics? People aren't forced to watch the match if they aren't interested in it. People may change their schedule after buying the tickets....

Posted by: runner | August 14, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

For basketball: fourth quarter! Aus rout over Iran! No fun, no fans.

For baseball: do you see the rain-coat? Fun drenched. And hell, baseball, isn't that's exactly why IOC take it out of the Games?

For Dan: it's all your faults. We can't send in any thundersticks due to your fierce criticism.

btw, Dan, can you get me any tickets for basketball of China vs Germany on Saturday? Of course, on a decent price. My wife wouldn't allow me to watch a game above RMB 1000. TV is more than enough for you and it's just RMB 18 per month, she would say.

Posted by: Chinese translator | August 14, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

how come people didnt go to see a crap game aussie vs nuclear-powered Iran become a issue.
Jesus,Dan ,dont u really have nothing to say about this Olympics??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Posted by: outternet | August 15, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

And, SO sure u r not in the gym cheering for Shawn, shame on u

Posted by: outternet | August 15, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse