This Week's Top 10 WaPo Sports Stories: Olyhuh?
In which we learn the answer to the question: should I, along with 12 other Washington Post employees, really be in Beijing right now? Answer? Get me on the next plane to Ashburn!
No no, I shouldn't be so cynical. The Games have hardly begun, and once the athletics ramp up, our readership is sure to follow. Meanwhile, the Redskins season has already been going on for....wait, what's that? They haven't started yet either? Oh. Right.
Well, on the bright side, Beijing has much more interesting architecture than Ashburn. Also, much more impressive smog.
(Newcomers to this blog who are only here to read about the Olympics: each Friday, I list the Top 10 sports stories and columns from our Web site over the past week, Friday through Thursday.)
This week's list:
1. The Post-Fame Celebration, by Jason Reid. Redskins game story about the team's 30-16 win over the Indianapolis Colts in the first exhibition game of the year.
2. It Doesn't Take Long for Zorn to Look the Part, by Jason La Canfora. Redskins sidebar from the same game, focusing on Jim Zorn's head coaching debut.
3. Outspoken '06 Medalist Cheek Has Visa Revoked, by Liz Clarke and Amy Shipley. Olympics news story on China acting to keep Team Darfur co-founder Joey Cheek far away from these Games.
4. A Gunner and a Target, by Jason Reid. Redskins feature on Jason Campbell and the pressures of being a starting quarterback in D.C.
5. Zorn Tries to Whip Rookies Into Shape, by Jason La Canfora. Redskins news story on Jim Zorn scolding rookie wide receivers Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas for their lack of conditioning and casting doubts on their prospects for playing time.
6. Hayseed Turned Diva, by Mike Wise. NFL column, arguing that Brett Favre--like past-their-prime athletes before him--will damage his legacy with his late-career stint in New York.
7. Packers Trade Favre to the Jets, by Mark Maske. NFL news story, the morning after the Packers finally ended the Brett Favre soap opera.
8. No Looking Back, by Mike Wise. Redskins column about the wild weekend in Canton, advising Jim Zorn to blaze some new burgundy trail into the future.
9. At Last, No Debating Their Hall Pass, by Michael Wilbon. Redskins column on the well-deserved pending Hall of Fame inductions for Art Monk and Darrell Green.
10. Partners in Grime, by Sally Jenkins. Olympics column on all that's wrong about these games, from the air quality to the political clampdown to the corporate profiteering.
August 8, 2008; 3:29 PM ET
Categories: Caps , D.C. United , Media , NFL , Nats , Olympics , Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Man the Olympics Are Weird
Next: Beijing Embraces Hibachi Lifestyle
Posted by: UMD's Burning Couch | August 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: JDP | August 8, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: PTBNL | August 8, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: UMD's Burning Couch | August 8, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kim | August 8, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Fingerman | August 8, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: F5 | August 8, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Rob Iola | August 8, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.