Alex Ovechkin's Hair Cuttery Day

Ovechkin's hair getting touched up with chopsticks.

"So why, with the money you make as a professional hockey player...why would you go to Hair Cuttery?" Alex Ovechkin was asked during the video portion of his day of Hair Cuttery promotional work.

"I don't know," Ovechkin answered. "Because I don't have lot of places to go."

The interviewer asked him to describe his preferred Hair Cuttery cut.

"I just go to her and I say, 'Short,' " he explained, as about three dozen onlookers giggled.

The chain of hair shops will soon launch a Hair Cuttery-Ovechkin microsite at OvieStyle.com; Ovechkin was asked how to describe his own sense of style.

"Easy style," he said. "No pressure. I'm not model."

Finally, a reporter re-asked Ovechkin the key question of the day: why, with dollar bills spilling out of his pockets, did he go to the Ballston Commons Hair Cuttery last year, leading Ted Leonsis to blog about it, leading the Washington Post to publish an item, leading to this sponsorship deal.

If virtually everyone at today's shoot seemed more intrigued by the Ovechkin ad campaign than the slightly impatient Ovechkin, well, that might have been the case. Ovie has other sponsorship deals--his clothing line with CCM, various hockey accessories with Elite Hockey, a deal with Hype Energy Drink and a one-time arrangement with Scotiabank, with several more deals on the way--but considering he's the best player in the NHL, it struck me as a fairly modest sponsorship portfolio.

"It wasn't really his goal, to be the face of a company," said his business manager, Konstantin Selinevich. "He's never been somebody who wanted to be a poster boy, a walking billboard. All he cares about is family and playing hockey."

"I don't like when people call me star or superstar," Ovechkin said while the PR cameras were running. "I don't like that. I just play hockey. That's it."

Still, after marketing agent Bruce J. Zalbe pointed out that Ovechkin had already given Hair Cuttery his implied endorsement in the Post item and that he might as well profit from the situation, Ovechkin signed up for this deal, which will feature ads on Metrobuses, and Metrobus shelters, a mobile billboard outside Caps games and slogans like "Alexander The Great Haircut" and "Most Valuable Hair."

So on this day he was a poster boy during a shoot at TBC Advertising and Public Relations's Fells Point studio, a former oyster packing house. He had his hair trimmed by Sharon So, the creative director of Hair Cuttery's parent company, who described his look as the "beach/surfer look" and said his longer bangs compliment his facial features. He posed for photos while So periodically used chopsticks to touch up his look.

He followed the directions of the creative team; "Tough! Sexy! Mean!" shouted out TBC Chairman and Creative Director Allan Charles. "I'm just throwing words out," he joked. Ovechkin told the promotional camera that he doesn't understand the NFL, doesn't like politicians and doesn't care what music he listens to, and he told reporters that he would rush back to Ballston to watch the end of the Caps rookies game as soon as he was done.

During a break, I asked him what sort of hair style he would be employing this season.

"Pink and red," he said. "When we go to the playoffs, pink and red."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 18, 2008; 6:01 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sports Reporters Crush Vinny Cerrato
Next: Gil Updates Blog, Aiming for Xmas-ish Return

Comments

Best player in the NHL?

One season at the top, when the previous MVP is injured does not make you the greatest player in the NHL.

Posted by: Mark | September 18, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Ovie can do virtually everything Crosby can, but Sid can't do half the things Ovie can.

Crosby is a great player, but isn't nearly as physical, isn't in the same league as a goal scorer, and can't grind. No knock on Sid, he's a great guy to build around, but if you were going to pick the best all around NHL'er, its OV.

Posted by: Ivy League | September 18, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Mark, that's all you have to say about the story? The point is, Ovie is just a great kid. Like it or not.

Posted by: Puckster | September 18, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Yes, that's all I have to say. I enjoyed the story, and I love Alex... I just think it is ridiculous to suggest that he is the greatest player in the NHL, when clearly, he is not. Sid's point totals make that clear. That's no rip on Ovechkin, it's just the facts.

I'm a Caps fan, but I'm not homerish enough to suggest that he is "the best". We're the only city who believes that he is (minus me).

Posted by: Mark Again | September 18, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Mark - Actually there are a bunch of other people that think that way about OV. Its called the Pearson award, awarded to him by his peers.

Yea calling someone great is subjective, but Ill take OV over any other player in the league. The kid wears his heart on his sleeve, and he doesnt pull and weak BS, like crosboy.

Posted by: TJ | September 18, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Mark we really believe you are a caps fan. Fact of the matter is, they are different players. Ovie is the more complete player, crosby is likely to get more points because of his position (i.e., responsible for racking assists. Look at the scoring races over the years, it is almost always a center who leads in points.

Even Gary roberts, who played with crosby, said ovechkin is the best two way player in the league.

This comparison is starting to get annoying, they are two completely different players.

But if you are going by who does more things better, you would be a homer not to give that to Ovechkin, i.e. the most complete player.

Physical Game Ovechkin
Goals Ovechkin
Shot Ovechkin
Assists Crosby

Posted by: O-V-P | September 18, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mark, I actually wasn't trying to start this argument or to be a blatant homer. Was just using "best player" as a substitute for "reigning MVP," which might not be fair to the injured but also doesn't strike me as particularly crazy. I wouldn't argue if anyone wanted to call Kobe Bryant the best player in the NBA based on that MVP trophy in his house.

As for the merits of your argument, let's just call it a tie.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | September 18, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I think Ovy beats Crosby in entertaining interviews too--by a lot.

Posted by: Fingerman | September 18, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for being our eyes and ears at this sort of thing. It's stuff like this (especially the part about "I just play hockey. That's it.") that make him so easy to root for, and a boon for the team. Not to mention taking the time to skate with the rookies at camp this week. Unreal.

Posted by: Goat | September 19, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

God Damn, how can you not love this kid. If Ovie had sprained his ankle in a game, like Sindey Crosby, he would have gone back out on the ice, intentionally sprained the other ankle so that they were even, scored two more goals, and missed one of his howitzer missiles wide right just to teach the boards a lesson not to screw with him.

Posted by: Caveman | September 19, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Only real hockey fans and non-embittered Caps (how did they earn their name "Choking Dogs" again?) fans know that both Ovie and Sidney are both phenomenal talents in their own ways, and that we should all be lucky they are both playing in the same era so we can witness their wondrous talents simultaneously. Sid has unbelievable vision, hockey smarts and awareness, and hands of silk, Ovie has ferocity, exuberance and unparalleled finishing ability. Both different, both excellent, grow up-

Posted by: puck dude | September 19, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Ok so I think this is my new favorite Ovie quote "I can't remember what I was thinking," Ovechkin said. "I just go to the mall after practice because I have big hair.". Still can't believe the Hair cuttery picked Ovie to be their spokes-model, cracks me up everytime!

Posted by: Puddin_An_Semin | September 19, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

im with canveman on this one.

Posted by: capsfan | September 21, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

im with CAVEMAN on this one

yay ov. hes the best and you all know it

Posted by: capsfan | September 21, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

hilarious!

Hardcore pens fan here...Ovy is freakin awesome.

lets not get into a crosby/ovy debate.

they are the 2 best players in the game hands down, different, and both possibly all-time greats.

lets not attack each other's favorite player, lets just enjoy that fact that we are witnessing both of these kids grow up.

Posted by: neophool | September 21, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse