Breaking Down Portis-vs.-Brian Mitchell

Hater? (TWP file photo by John McDonnell)

Having now listened to most of the Portis-vs-BMitch radio wrangle about three times, I feel better qualified to offer a few thoughts. I was gonna make this My 26 Favorite Things About Portis-vs-B.Mitch--that's how much it filled my heart with glee--but that seemed a tad excessive. So we'll cut Portis's number in half.

Thus, presenting My 13 Favorite Things About Portis-vs-B.Mitch. And please, go listen for yourself.

1) The not-at-all disguised references to a possible physical confrontation between the current running back and the former running back. Like, when I heard this part, I didn't think things could get better:

Mitchell: Listen to me, I will be truly happy if you lead the Washington Redskins, I will be the first man to praise you, but don't think you can come on this air and talk trash to me like I'm gonna back down. I talk about football, bro.

Portis: You think that I'm gonna back down? I ain't gonna back down.

Mitchell: If you ever want to go to that area, that'll be the wrong thing you do. Believe that. Believe that.

I believed. I believed they had reached their confrontational summit. But then they scaled yet higher, when Mitchell later asked Portis why he never raised his concerns to Mitchell's face.

"If I feel like I want to steel (?) steal (?) you when you first open up, so why would I put us in that position, instead of walking off and leaving it and hoping today we CAN talk," Portis said. "Because the way I felt at the time that I saw you, if I would have tried to talk to you, then me and you probably would have been in a scuffle, so instead of going through that, I kept it moving."

2) As the above question mark indicates, there were a lot of words in this discussion that I didn't understand. So it became a vocab game for curious (white) bloggers. Like, when Portis accused Mitchell of being seditty, I learned something. Thanks, guys.

And when Portis said "This is what I'm gonna tell you about Portis: Portis pocket's straight, my man, my pocket's gonna stay straight," well, I had no idea what he meant. Still don't. Sorry.

Hatee? (TWP file photo by Tracy A. Woodward)

3) Along the same lines, I did some quick calculations on how many words Smokin' Al Koken--arguably the least black member of the panel--uttered during the heaviest parts of the conversation. Let's see, carry the 1, divide by six.....yup, that would be zero.

4) And carrying over from point number 2, Portis's use of the third person was both extensive and terrific. It peaked with this tremendous exchange:

Portis: What you go on TV and say, what you sit on your radio show and say, 'Portis need to shut up?' Portis gonna keep talking.

Mitchell: You keep talking. Keep talking, bro.

Portis: So the fools saying Portis need to shut up, they can kiss Portis's ass. I'm saying that. Ain't nothing gonna change, my man.

Also: Kiss my bumper, just kiss it.

5) The blatant homages to the Oh yeah? Yeah! verbal battles of yesteryear. Classic example:

Portis: Because all those comments over the years, bro, they're really starting to add up.

Mitchell: They can add up.

Portis: That's what they starting to do.

So there.

6) The petty slaps upside the head of under-the-breath one-upmanship. Gotta be dang satisfying to land these blows, especially in a forum where free space was often hard to come by.

Mitchell: Clinton, I'm gonna tell you like this bro. I always talk. I'm an analyst. I analyze positive and negative. If you can't handle the negative....

Portis: You're a hater, that's what you are.

Or how about this one?

7) The many diminutive forms of second-person address. I counted at least five usages of "bro," at least five usages of "my man," one "young man," one "boy," and one "homie." There was a definite shortage of "dudes," though. And "young fellas."

8) The John Thompson interventions, Coach calming down the young'uns. They were rare, but they were sublime.

"Y'all youngsters, calm down," he said one time.

"Let me tell you this, and you and Brian both need to calm down. I'm gonna take out the whupping stick on both of y'all," he said another time.

"I'm not gonna let either one of y'all stop the other one from eating, I'm gonna get my whupping stick out in just a minute," he said a third time.

And most wondrously, "I want the two of y'all to cut this crap out," Coach ordered. "Both of y'all are guys that we're both proud of, and when you see one another, eat a sausage sandwich, sit back and put your toes up and laugh about this crap. Both of y'all are too competitive and that's what's being reflected here. Ok? Listen to this old man now, I'm 67 years old, going into my 68th year, and I ain't gonna worry about this crap that y'all talking about and y'all ain't gonna worry about it either, so let's get over it."

9) When Portis got all metaphorical and lost me. I've listened to this passage probably a half-dozen times, and I just don't know what he meant.

"I ain't found nobody in this city that's gonna praise me," he began. "They're gonna hold me in the fire and everything. I don't mind going into the fire, I don't mind burning, because when I come out I'm gonna throw some water on me and I'm gonna cool everybody off. I don't never pay attention to that."

10) Thinking back on all the angst when Mr. Snyder bought up SportsTalk 980 and turned it into ESPN 980, I'd say the primary concern was that the station's personalities would be neutered by their burgundyhood.

Sure, the jury's still out, but 980 spent the rest of the day yesterday hyping this throwdown like the Washington Post hypes its Sunday Jobs section. This was Redskins vs. Redskins. And it would be hard to argue that Brian Mitchell was spinning the corporate line when he offered to "step to" the team's franchise running back. I mean, Michael Westbrook once did that, and no one praised him.

11) Directional talk that had the strange effect of leaving me more disoriented.

"One thing you've got to understand Clinton, what you say, you say it out front, I say it out front," Mitchell argued. "Hating is when you talk behind people's backs."

Then, later.

"Brian Mitchell said before you came on this show--and I'm telling you this behind your back--that he respected the hell out of you for coming on the show," Thompson told Portis.

From now on, I'm only telling people things behind their backs. Until today, "I'm telling you this behind your back" was a Googlenope. Deservedly.

12) Portis's explanation as to why he decided to make his weekly radio appearance on this particular program.

"Man, I grew up a fan of the Georgetown Hoyas, when you had Mourning, Mutombo, and everybody else, so to me, this is an honor for you to have me on your show," he said. "Just like you said, I could be on any other radio station, but to have the opportunity to be with a legend, a man that you can respect, a man that's gonna shoot it straight....If I'm wrong, you gonna say I'm wrong. If I'm right, you gonna say I'm right. You ain't gonna kiss up to me, you ain't gonna [say], 'Oh, Clinton Portis is the greatest thing walking" because I'm on air with you. If I need to be criticized, you can criticize me, and I can take that as a man."

Never knew he was an old-school Hoyas fan. Would it be too much to hope for him to wear a throwback Broadnax shirt to Ashburn one of these days? Or maybe a Boumtje-Boumtje? And if Craig Esherick gets a radio show in this market, will C.P. be his featured guest?

13) The feeling, however fleeting, that we lived in someplace like New York or Philly, where sports are obsessions and fans are brutish and short and the media are bloodthirsty vultures and every interview hints at violence and hatred, tickling the dark and delicious portion of our souls that mandates we still run toward the crowd whenever we hear the words, "Fight! Fight!"

(More opinions available at The Player Hater's Ball, Krem's Sports Blog, Stet Sports Blog, the DC Sports Pulse, the D.C. Examiner, Pro Football Talk, and most likely Ladies Home Journal and Tupperware Today.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 17, 2008; 8:14 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caron Discusses His Trip to South Africa
Next: Morning Look: Caron Butler's New Shoes

Comments

Mitchell keeps saying that he mixes the good with the bad, yet the first thing out of his mouth was "I see you after one nine-yard run running to the sideline, breathing."

This directed towards the RB who led the NFL in carries last year and a guy who gives his all, running, blocking, catching.

Mitchell is truly a hater.

Posted by: Ted | September 17, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I believe when CP was saying that his "pocket's straight," he was saying that he's doing well financially.

"Oh stewardess, I speak jive."

Posted by: Ben | September 17, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I believe Mitch criticizes Portis more than he praises him, but it's always fair.

I think the problem is the way he says it/delivers his message. He's too brash and confrontational. Others criticize Portis too, like Andy, Steve, Al Koken, & Doc but they don't say it the way Mitch does.

Portis just needs to stop letting it get to him, just play his game.

I think the critics are right for the most part, he's too impatient when reading his blocks and he talks too much. He should let the game do his talking.

Posted by: joeblazin | September 17, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

f- bmitch

Posted by: jonthefisherman | September 17, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I must say I haven't used "steal" that way in a long time, but that's a childhood favorite.

Glad to see CP taking me back to my youf...

Posted by: BucktownSkinsFan | September 17, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Brian isn't coming off very well.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | September 17, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Steal, to hit, as in "Imma steal that bama in the face."

Posted by: Alex | September 17, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Steal: verb - to jack or punch someone, usually in the facial area, or perhaps a quick blow directly to the sternum

Sentence: You betta watch out, else I'm gonna steal you in yo' face, joe.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | September 17, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

You guys can believe this or choose not to. But my friend works at a local area golf merchandise store, and he says he sees Brian Mitchell every so often and they have talked a bunch. My friend has told me that Mitchell has told him he thinks Portis is gay, and has called him a homo. ( I don't think he is, I am just telling you what my friend has passed on to me.) So it sounds like Brian Mitchell is a hater, and maybe he is hating for his own personal beliefs. Just thought I would share this with you since it seems Mitchell has had a problem with him for some time now.

Posted by: LooseCannon | September 17, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I guess I'm in disagreement here with the other guys posting. I really feel like Portis came off like a petulant child. I mean seriously, it IS B-Mitch's job to analyze. Portis should understand that and freak out about like he did. He really came off as unintelligent and like the prototypical, egocentric, modern-athlete.

I also thought it was interesting to hear BMitch reference the "crowd you run with" to Portis indicating that Clinton may be hanging with the wrong people or something like that.

And John Thompson's commentary was so dang funny, and oddly direct. You gotta love him.

Posted by: TrevorG | September 17, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I think I've heard all the jive lingo, but "pockets staying straight", at first sounds like having nicely pressed pants, but straight here means good/fine/cool. So I get it now, however, having nicely pressed pants could also mean that you're pants are really expensive and look pressed, not to confuse the issue.@#%$#%$^@$

B-Mitch is horrible, flat out, he's our Emmitt Smith on radio. Great football career but he is horrible on the radio, borderline unlistenable.

Having said that, CP needs to not pay attention to the media. Who cares. Play your game. Score some TD's and help this team win.

Posted by: JSchon | September 17, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

i gotta side with clinton on this one cuz hey...bmitch isn't gonna take us to the playoffs this year

Posted by: patrick | September 17, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LooseCannon | September 17, 2008 9:29 AM

WOW, wouldn't surprise me though...

When's the last you've seen Portis in public/paparazzi with a female?
I seem to think the same thing bout T.O.?

...but it could just be nothing, but it wouldn't surprise me

Posted by: joeblazin | September 17, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Loose Canon's post strikes me as made up because of hearsay.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

TO IS gay

He almost got beatup in the Philly locker room for wearing his spandex in the hot tub

Posted by: InTheKnow | September 17, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I found it all amusing and agree with both sides on certain points. I do find it amusing that BMitch is criticizing Portis for being tired on the hottest home game in history. Plus when was BMitch ever an every down back like Portis is? I mean he was strictly a kick returner, 3rd down back, and emergency qb. I wouldn't say he's hating but I'd say his criticism is wrong on Portis getting tired.

Posted by: Matt M | September 17, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Dan:
When Portis said "This is what I'm gonna tell you about Portis: Portis pocket's straight, my man, my pocket's gonna stay straight," he either meant he's not going to be caught, or please pick up my dry cleaning tomorrow.

Posted by: Tony | September 17, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Well he did just have a kid with his girlfriend. Not that it proves anything either way. I know plenty of gay people with kids and I know plenty of straight people who have been gay. When was the last time you saw B Mitch with his family?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

WOOOOOW...

"Portis pockets are straight" simply means that he's paid, regardless of what B Mitch says, he's gonna go out and collect his.

I think these two dudes are one in the same. Hot headed, defensive, but also, dam good backs. I dont know what angle B Mitch comes with in reference to Portis, but he does seem to have it in for him over any other skins player that may have had a bad series, play, or game.

Posted by: ACE | September 17, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it has to do with the fact that Clinton Portis could replace him in terms of one of the most famous RB's in the teams history? Portis will probably beat Riggo's rushing record for the Skins by the end of next season.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see portis stomp the hell outta bmitch. Seriously, I can't listen to that guy. Portis is the man. And I'd wager dollars to donuts that a guy with a stripper pole in his house is NOT gay, not that I care.

Posted by: WrongDog | September 17, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

In terms of that metaphorical statement he made, he simply meant that he's always the one that catches heat for the redskins "lack of..." when they lose. He's used to that and it's to a point that it doesn't even phase him anymore. All he does is keep doing what he does, leave it on the field, and uses his play to douse all that heat and criticism.

Posted by: ACE | September 17, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"it IS B-Mitch's job to analyze."
--------------------------------------
Posted by: TrevorG | September 17, 2008 9:30 AM

I agree with that statement, it is his job. I've watched B. Mitch 'analyze' on pre and post game shows for over two years. The dude has an agenda -- whether its to hate on the redskins or just to try and seperate himself from some the of the more complacent or optimistic views on the Skins -- and it looks like orange hatorade. B. Mitch isn't doing his job, he's running his mouth. He's one angry dude, thats for sure.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I have to say I think both parties could have handled themselves in a more mature fashion. I also understand that passion takes over sometimes, and you have to have a level head when you are speaking passionatley about someone or something.

B. Mitch is a great analyst! He speaks the truth whether you like it or not. Clinton feels like he is taking it too personal, but really is he? I mean if you are going to take the Pre-season off so to speak, then you need to ball for real when the season comes. Where are the break away runs we used to see when he first got here? It was clear that he was not in shape until the end of the year last year.

Bottom line, Clinton should just take it as constructive critisism and show everyone on the field that he still has it. When he does that, B. Mitch nor anyone else can say anything to him. Ball or go home is the name of the game.

Posted by: dgospel33 | September 17, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I pay both of them... AWKWAAAAARD!

Posted by: Dan Snyder | September 17, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Since 2004 Portis leads all backs in touches. Portis is the last guy on the team that I would ever question about effort. BMitch is straight up wrong and is definitely hating. How is this "analysis" of anything? Talk about the offensive and defensive schemes. How many times we were in man vs. zone, how we are disguising the blitz, etc. These unwarranted personal attacks just show how bad BMitch really is.

Portis is my hero!

Posted by: Skinsfan | September 17, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell is awesome haha this is good stuff.

Posted by: Dagger | September 17, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

That was pretty awesome.

Nobody is surprised that Mitchell is a loud mouth though, right? As a player he was always shooting his mouth off, players...coaches didn't matter.

I don't know that he has an agenda or is bitter at the Skins, though it comes off that way, he's just an ornery dude.

Posted by: prophet | September 17, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

B-Mitch is full of B-Mitch. That's his problem.

Posted by: 53Fan | September 17, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

FINALLY something worth listening to and talk about on DC Sports Talk!

Portis is a talented PUNK and B Mitch is the best thing EVER to happen to this sorry sports town.

Posted by: caphcky | September 17, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

By the way,I strongly suggest a hot club---interracialchatting.com---which is a dating service for whites and blacks to find their interracial love.Hot and sexy,maybe you will like it.Share with you,sign up for free and look at the hot pic~

Posted by: leialun | September 17, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

HI CAPHCKY!!!!!

Posted by: Boston Sux | September 17, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Hi caphcky!

Posted by: caphcky likes men | September 17, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I don’t mind when analysts do their job, but B. Mitch just comes off as a jackass. But you can also tell when someone is hating. I mean how the hell is Mitchell gonna say that Portis has horrible conditioning? Did we ever see B. Mitch play every down in a game? Did we ever see B. Mitch run up the middle of that line (who doesn’t block the middle very well) on almost every running play? Have we ever seen B. Mitch carry the ball 20-25 times a game? NO!!

B. Mitch was a damn kick and punt returner and a 3rd down back when he was still playing. Portis had the most carries out of all the backs in the NFL last year, played all 16 games last year even when he was hurt, got almost 400 receiving yards, and 1,200 rushing yards and 11 td’s from one of the worst blocking O-lines last year. Oh yeah I forgot, helped the Skins reach the playoffs. Now tell me, has Brian Mitchell ever given us that kind of effort and numbers to back it up? Again the answer is a big fat NO!!! Brian Mitchell was never given that kind of responsibility because you guessed it, he couldn’t cut it as a QB (he played in college as a QB)or starting running back in the NFL.

He has no room to talk. He’s just hating because he doesn’t like the fact that Portis gets paid the way he does and actually does a decent job at it. Brian Mitchell never came close to the type numbers Portis puts up… EVER! He dreamt of putting up these types of numbers and receiving the same accolades Portis is getting right now. He’s just hating because someone else is giving/gave us these types of results and stats and it’s not him. To top it all off and to make matters worse for Brian Mitchell, Washington DC LOVES Clinton Portis! And it eats away at him knowing that Portis is loved while being the player that B. Mitch dreamt about being. That ladies and gentlemen is the definition of hating.

Posted by: Mike Piczon | September 17, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

email me at sportsblogger@aol.com

I'm gay for football talk.

Posted by: caphcky | September 17, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I think both of those idiots share the blame for some of the best live radio I've heard in a long long time! Kudos to both the Coach and Smokin' Al for not butting in too soon and letting it go.

I could not stand B-Mitch when he first got on the air. Just like most former jocks converted to TV/Radio personalities, I heard way too much of the "back when I used to play....."

Nobody cares for that stuff and it's probably what shortened Joey T's run on MNF. But to his credit, he has gotten much better.

As for the great running back that sometimes disguises himself as a media clown, he should not get into embarrasing himself in public on the radio like that ever again. I can understand how he feels but he was so emotional that he was all over the place. He said "I don't care" but obviously he does. He said "I don't listen.." but obviously he does. He should just get over it, take it in stride and take it out on the field. Do the best that he can do and be happy with that.

Would I pay to see that fight? Damn skippy! My money's on B-Mitch though.

Posted by: Great Radio! | September 17, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

1. I've haven't been exposed to this much negro linguistics since "Their Eyes Were Watching God."

2. Brian Mitchell is an old, washed-up, wanna be media type. He adds no flavor to the analysis or discussion of the Washington Redskins as currently built.

3. John Thompson's whupping stick hasn't been brought out since the days of Victor Page. I don't think D.C. is ready for that kind of wrath.

Posted by: StetSports.com | September 17, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

i like big black men

Posted by: caphcky | September 17, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Regardless of the truth of it, or the motives, you've got to admire how Mitchell quickly came up with this classic comeback:

"Portis: I guarantee you I'm one of the top conditioned players on this team, and you can ask coach, you can ask anybody else.

Mitchell: I don't need to ask coach, I see you after one nine-yard run running to the sideline, breathing."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Thompson hit himself over the head when he called Clinton Portis "one of our most precious athletes".

B-Mitch is the one of two media members in this town (George Michael being the other) that won't sugar coat anything. I hope being in the same studio with Koken he'll rub off and All will become less of a candy *ss!

Posted by: caphcky | September 17, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Gee, what a surprise: two tools associated with the Washington NFL franchise.
Considering they both speak in public frequently they should worry less about what the other is saying about them and worry more about things such as, say, their relatively low level of English-speaking ability. (And please take Santana Moss with you to English class, too; thanks.)

Posted by: Naf Salad | September 17, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Gee, what a surprise: two tools associated with the Washington NFL franchise.

Posted by: Naf Salad | September 17, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

VIVA 26!

Posted by: laxbigj | September 17, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

It's real simple; if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Posted by: harleydude1997 | September 17, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think it's funny how Portis can offend his teammates, but when someone brings up his name in a negative way he gets offended. What goes around comes around. Love you b-mitch!

Posted by: Dagger | September 17, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm still laughing...

This has to be the funniest thing in the WaPo.com - ever!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Pockets straight means Portis is getting paid in a major way and he isn't ever worrying about his pockets being empty.

Posted by: Zack | September 17, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

hey caphcky, did you just give george michael a complement? hahah that guy is the absolute worst. However, I do love the Redksins Report, but only when Tony, Wilbon, and Dupree are on. Michael just sits there and is optimistic about everything, how can you say he tells it like it is? He has no idea what is going on, ever.

Posted by: skinsfan | September 17, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

LOL...skinsfan;

I think you should probably call you cable company...you would love the Redskins Report even more, if you actually could see it!

Posted by: caphcky | September 17, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't know anything about sports.

I'm a Bawstan fan and hate everything about DC

Posted by: caphcky | September 17, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Caphcky hates the Caps

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

everyone knows that Portis is the most overrated back in the league. If he learned to speak a little English he'd do a better job reading the playbook and notice that the running plays for him entail him to keep running after initial contact to pick up more than 3 yards a carry.

Posted by: big O and Dukes | September 17, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

CP is the most overrated back in the league who never shows up for the playoffs either as a Bronco or Redskin and apparently, cannot tolerate criticism. However, he does wear funny costumes for the rubes.

Posted by: Skins43 | September 17, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I am as wide as the ocean is deep.

Posted by: Caphcky's Anoos | September 17, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I just LOVED the way John Thompson told them both to settle down. He must have felt like a junior-high coach again.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | September 17, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I like BMitch a lot, but he shouldn't make it personal. See this from the Wash. Times on 9/6/02 (I don't know how the case was adjudicated):

A police officer filed an $11 million lawsuit claiming Philadelphia running back Brain Mitchell assaulted her and team executives covered it up.

Karen Haley claims she was romantically involved with Mitchell for four months and during a date at the player's penthouse apartment in September 2001, she told him she contacted his wife. Mitchell became angry and "put her in a half-nelson, a head lock and shoved her onto the bed and twisted her right arm behind her back," Haley's attorney, Steven S. Melitzky, said.

She since underwent surgery on her arm, has been placed on light duty and is "in danger of never fully recovering, which puts her career in jeopardy," Melitzky said.

Posted by: Cal | September 17, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I've heard better on a street corner in Southeast.

Posted by: Jay | September 17, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Mitchell cheated on his wife...AND beat up a girl cop in Philly...I don't believe it, Mitchell please say it ain't so...How are you ever going to rebuild your rep. in time to make the HOF with your buddy and fellow upstanding citizen, and the moral compass of this generation...Mikey Irvin...if the Hall of Shame, I mean Fame would take that loser I'm sure they'd take you too. Good luck!

Posted by: Say it aint so...B-itch | September 17, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Mitchell is wrong. His job is to analyze, but he comes across like a low life street thug and he HAS had it in for Portis. There are things about Portis that should be criticized, but Mitchell's thuggish approach is what caused this whole thing.

Posted by: Joe | September 17, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Portis = starting running back in the NFL
Portis = paid

B-Mitch = special teams player and OCCASIONAL 3rd down running back
B-Mitch = has to work

Shut up B-Mitch, your jealousy is transparent.

Posted by: disillusioned previous B-Mitch fan | September 17, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Have people forgotten Mitchell is damn near 14 years older than Portis. Mitchell was making plays with the Skins then Eagles long before Portis was even in college. I'm a Skins fan. I remember Mitchell being an intricate part of that Joe Gibbs bruising Offense.

What Mitchell is saying may be taken harshly, but if Mitchell would have been given a RB coaches positiion (like the former Ernest Byner), then he wouldn't say anything different. Mitchell speaks from a successful running back's perspective who lasted in the NFL for a number of years.

I like Portis and the man is still in his prime, but let's give a little honesty to the fact that Mitchell is going to critique Portis because he respects him and because that's his former position. He knows how that position works, and he knows how to carry the load.

Matter of fact Mitchell was a RB and Special Teams player.

All respect...Portis is a great player, but let's not discount Mitchell. In this case it's best to respect the past players. If Art Monk criticizes Santana Moss. Moss ought to listen. If Darrell Green criticizes Rogers, Springs, Horton, etc...They ought to listen.

They were cookie cutter players, and they have SB rings and longevity to prove it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

correction,

There WERE NOT COOKIE CUTTER PLAYERS.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Under Joe Gibbs, the most B-Mitch ever rushed for in a SEASON was 81 yds, and never even had more than 100 yds combined rushing and recieving.

The most he rushed for EVER in a season is just over 300 yards.

He was a special teams player, and has jealousy issues.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Intricate part of Joe Gibb's offense... lol

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

If B-Mitch criticizes Portis, he ought to listen? Why does Portis not fumble nearly as much B-Mitch did?

B-Mitch is qualified to criticize Rock Cartwright and Randel-El for kick returns, that's about it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

If Brain Mitchell (one of my favorite all time Redskins) was on this team he'd be doing exactly what Clinton Portis is doing or at least I hope he would be. This team talks a good game (Chris Samuels tops the list) but rarely delivers. Winning takes that extra commitment and thanks to Clinton's comments before the Saints game we saw it. Now hopefully they can maintain it.

Posted by: hz9604 | September 18, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Bmitch - aka Silky Johnson, the most diabolical hater this side of the Mississippi

Posted by: Bumpy Johnson | September 18, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

he probably wants to cut Obama's n#tz off too

"MOTIVATION, Better get on yo job, tell'em, haters get on yo job, (Motivation)
buster, get on yo job, tell'em, haters get on yo job, (Motivation)
Haters better get on yo job, tell'em, haters get on yo job, (It's motivation)
Sucka dude, get on yo job, if ya, hatin' get on yo job"

Posted by: Bumpy Johnson | September 18, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

more ignorant white people in sports trying to be hip.

Posted by: white people | September 18, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Portis, 2 rushing touchdowns inside the 20 haven't seen that since I dunno when, and He is out of shape? Focus on the truth and Celebrate the victory, I can't remember when Mitchell ever did that in a game as a Redskin. Why is he talkin negative after a win? If there was another station I would turn it to that when Mitchell came on.

Posted by: BOC | September 18, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

BMitch need to worry about the Redskins changing offenses every year before criticizing a starting RB on the 'skins. I guess if he was ever a starting RB in the league he would know that. Special Teams guys should never criticize starters.

Posted by: SC | September 18, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Brian, It's bad form to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Posted by: Corey | September 18, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

brian mitchell is still mad that how owner daniel snyder let him go from the team. he was told by a reporter.

Posted by: fa | September 18, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

B-Mitch and Portis both got some good news.
They were able to save money on their car insurance by switching to Geico.

Posted by: Distinct one | September 18, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Young men,

Everybody should just eat a sausage sandwich, sit back and put your toes up and laugh about this crap!?

Posted by: sh*ts and giggles | September 18, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"Pockets" is another term for money

Posted by: David Lomax | September 18, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes.. I am a hater. My life sucks and all I got is this sports radio gig. I hate Clinton cause he gots the money, the honey and the fame. I am nothing but a looser who is player hater....

Posted by: Brian Mitchell | September 18, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I love this, why they are fighting the Cowboys are sharpening their game, and they will beat the hell out of the skins!!!!

Posted by: Jason Voorhees | September 18, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

awww...c'mon redskins fans love you both...save the hating for the cowboys next week!

Posted by: john | September 18, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Mitchell would whup Portis' ass. All you children hating on Mitchell clearly never saw the man play. He was a beast. Was he the most talented player ever? No. But he showed up to play, played hard, played well, and was a damn good kick returner.

Posted by: SkinsFansAreDelusional | September 18, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Portis is truly an idiot...
Yes he get's paid, they all get paid sick amounts of money.
You can take the punk from the hood...
But you cant take the hood out of that punk...
Don't forget NFL fans...it was Portis that supported Mike Vick in the early days and said to let the man fight dogs if he want too...then later had to apologize.

Posted by: John Johnson | September 18, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please tell me why black people pronounce the word "ask" as "ax"

Posted by: Matt | September 18, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

quite an interview when you need an interpreter to explain whats being said--and the interview is in english!!

Posted by: ed | September 18, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Why do white people pronounce asterisk (*) as asterik?

Posted by: W.E.B. DuBois | September 18, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

About Brian Mitchell from Wikipedia:
He was well known as a kick returner, and is the NFL's second all time leader in total yardage (23,330), thanks in large part to his 14,014 yards from kickoff returns and his 4,999 punt return yards. Both are NFL records. He also rushed for 1,967 yards on 388 carries (avg. 5.1 rushing yards), caught 255 passes for 2,336 yards, recovered 20 fumbles for 14 return yards, and scored 29 touchdowns (4 kickoff returns, 9 punt returns, 12 rushing, 4 receiving). His 13 special teams touchdowns are also an NFL record. His 9 punt return touchdowns are 2nd behind Eric Metcalf (10). He is also one of only four players to record four seasons of over 2,000 total yards, (the others being Marshall Faulk, Dante Hall and Tiki Barber) and missed out on a fifth by only five yards.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

How many NFL records is that? I would say he's qualified to comentate on whatever he wants to in regard to football.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I read the thing 3 times and I still don't know what the conversation was about. Why didn't these guys make it past the third grade?

Posted by: HooDat | September 18, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Why do white people pronounce asterisk (*) as asterik?

Posted by: W.E.B. DuBois | September 18, 2008 3:19 PM

------------------------------------------

now that is funny!!

Posted by: steve-o | September 18, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

MLK would be turning in his grave if he saw the progress his people have made since his death. Unbelievable that there are more sports icons than not out there that can barely speak in complete sentences. What a shame that our society is so accepting of ignorance. Unbelievable.

Posted by: Homie | September 18, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Portis is a bum. So is Brian Mitchell. So is every Redskin, come to think of it. When the Cowboys play you guys this year, Jerry Jones is going to steal Dan Snyder in the jaw, son!

Posted by: Tom Landry | September 18, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

straight pockets means he is not goin to do ne thing that jeapordize his money .being that the "pockets" is wereone would stash their money.

Posted by: mexiking | September 18, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Steinberg hasn't been in the US long enough to catch on to the colloquial terms used in the cites. If "my pockets are straight" confuses you, I strongly suggest that you head back to Israel where every speaks perfectly.

Posted by: DC Black Person | September 18, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

After hearing these two talk its hard to imagine any college ever letting these two bozos on the campus to be anything other than a janitor.

Posted by: gammacoon | September 18, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

glad to see people go to college , graduate and talk like that. o well, make the money while you can i guess.

Glad to see turmoil in the deadskins locker room and field. Great recipe for success!

Posted by: bob | September 18, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Washington Redskins fans should be worried that the face of their franchise is a poorly spoken thug.

Posted by: Steve | September 18, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Mitch had a good enough career 2 critique Portis its his job but 2 single out 1 play he went 2 the sidelines on.Hate thats just what it was ,im sure when Mitch played he got winded just like most of the players all-time in the NFL.Portis has carried the ball 4 20-25 times a game 4 years.So untill he takes off plays on a regular basis Mitch needs 2 open his eyes and c this instead of criticizing Portis 4 1 play .Even with me being bias (Canes 4 life)I watched Mitch he was a great kick returner and the people on here might not know this but again he should let go the personal attacks.Portis is 1 of the best backs in the game bar none!!!!!

Posted by: nicholas4961 | September 18, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know that their is anyone on this team that plays harder on Sundays than CP. The is an absolute beast and will do anything with his body to make a play. He has stated countless times that when he is on the field its all or nothing. If BM doesn't believe that by watching him play then he doesn't know what he's looking at. BM has always been and will always be a baby. I do appreciate the things he did for our team but don't expect the outpouring that DG and AM got in Canton when BM gets there. Won't even be close.

Posted by: Mike F | September 19, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

This is coming from a guy "BMitch" that carried the ball 388 times in his whole career whiched spanned 13 years. Portis carried the ball almost that much last year!!!! I just don't understand Bmitch's hating on Portis totally lame

Posted by: dan | September 19, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Rod Smith called Portis out for being a selfish player after the Broncos lost to Indy in the 2003. Not a good sign when Rod was one of the most unselfish players and hardest workers in football All Portis cares about is getting paid. He actually thanked the Broncos for getting him paid in his first press conference with the Redskins. To be honest, Mitchell was right for calling out Portis for his lack of conditioning. He was a main reason for the Broncos lack of consistency on offense when he was here. Everytime he made a run over 20 years, he would always tap his helmet to be taken out of the game. He has all the physical tools to be a great player but he has a mind of a 12 year old. He’s more interested in riding Pastor Troys jock and making up ridiculous characters for his Thursday press conferences, then making sure he’s in prime condition for the season. If I’m Dan Snyder, I’m asking him to take a paycut or else. Portis can’t and won’t accept the responsibilities to be a leader for his team.

Posted by: Jay from Denver | September 19, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell is a fake Redskin, he talked trash the entire time he was gone and thinks that he can put it behind him with his one day retirement. Snyder should have told him to go retire as a Giant or Eagle, he was a loser player and was a product of having multiple oppurtunities. Of course you can take 14 kicks back for touchdowns if you do it 1000 TIMES, random chance will give you that. Special teams is all about blocking and he would be nothing without that. The sooner he gets off the air the better, I can't stand listening to this clown, or Zaban(sp) either, bring back Riggo.

Posted by: John | September 19, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

you can tell neither one of these guys have much of a vocabulary... i can't understand 90% of what they are saying and the stuff that makes sense doesn't because they don't even know how to use proper english. just proves some schools just want talent instead of giving educations

Posted by: peopleareignorant | September 19, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Not that either one is right or wrong....but both these guys went to college....RIGHT????
I am not sure where B owel M ovement went, but it sounds as if... the U stands for....

U aint gettig no edgumacation HERE!

Posted by: Solze | September 19, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Bmitch is a hater! He wasnt half the back Portis is and needs to recognise that. QUIT HATIN

Posted by: jimmy | September 19, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Just to elaborate on what portis was saying about "stealing you" , when said like that it in slang it means to knock some one the Eff out, learned that one from spring hill lake, greenbelt from back in '89. To elaborate more, after some one punches you some one else will come out of nowhere and say "Man you just got Stoled on"

Posted by: seanpugz1983 | September 20, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

and oh yeah, B-Mitch, ya knew nickname is B-itch'd cuz thats what just happened. He wasn't even our main running back any of the years he was on the redskins. He was mainly a punt and kickoff returner and he still fumbled the ball more than Portis. Leave the haterade alone, its not good for ya, because you can't judge clinton portis, lest you judge your own damn self.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell is B Mitch? A dude that played football many yers ago, seriously who cares about that? Tell that idiot to stop trying to turn Skins fans against their own runing back just so he looks good. Grow up Mitch

Posted by: gwatz | September 21, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

T.O. is ROMO's HOMO

Posted by: baker51 | September 22, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

brian mitchell is just jealous. CP is the bread and butter of this team. Sorry mitch its not the nineties anymore. Your not a good analist and to tell you the truth you were never to good at running back. you stuck around cause you could return kicks. Stay off Portis or he or i will steal you in the face, Hater! HTTR Portis steal the cowboys this week

Posted by: chad | September 23, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse