Daniel Snyder and Jim Zorn Celebrate, Loudly

The two most important men at Redskins Park issued two of the most noteworthy post-game grown-man celebrations in recent memory, which, by the standards of NFL media members, is about three weeks. But still.

First, owner Daniel Snyder, who treated this Week 4 victory with all the calm detachment of a Wall Street trader watching the bailout go down in flames while freebasing espresso-laced chocolate corn syrup. Except with more sweat. (Watch the video at Mister Irrelevant.)

"We're physical!" he bellowed, playing high school gym teacher for possibly the first time in his life. "We play physical, we win!"

And while Snyder played the part of coach, the actual coach, Jim Zorn, was busy playing the part of Cub Scouts pack leader, spurring his men on with an inspirational post-game chant of...."Hip Hip Hooray?"

"That's what he does," Santana Moss said of the post-game cheer. "Not weird at all. Everybody has their own little thing, and that's his thing, and I'm down for it. If you're Hip Hip Hooraying, you've got something to Hip Hip Hooray about. So I'm down for it."

I swear, he'll have these guys building Soap Box Pine Wood Derby cars before the season is over. When the proprietor of Homer McFanboy told me about this Hip Hip Hooraying, I was still stuck in Dallas, so I asked my colleague Paul Tenorio to query the coach on this post-game treat. And the head man delivered, in classic Zorn Star style.

As noteworthy as these post-game cheers: John Clayton's post-game hair.

"It's a long history of that cheer, because when Chuck Knox came to the Seattle Seahawks, he gave the old Hip Hip Hooray," Zorn told Tenorio this afternoon. "And I thought, you know, 'This is very old school, really old school.' Like, Hip Hip Hooray? But it kind of fired me up.

"And when I was a player, I thought when we were doing this, 'What's wrong with old school?" Yeah, let's go. Hip Hip Hooray! And so I enjoyed that cheer because I just enjoyed that enthusiasm Chuck Knox had when he led that cheer. And I sort of just carried the banner, if you will, through being a coach....We only did it once in Seattle. We won the NFC Championship against the Carolina Panthers in 2005. We were going to the Super Bowl and I had to have that cheer in the locker room after the game. We gave three cheers for Mike Holmgren, you know what I mean? It's kind of a special cheer for special games, anyway, in my mind."

A jolly good fellow, this one. Can't wait for the Naughty by Nature re-mix. And it turns out that Oregon State also reps the Hip Hip Hooray. Anyhow, the dogged Tenorio managed to ask several other players what they thought about the cheer.

"Everybody was happy, it was a big win, the last win at Texas Stadium," Marcus Washington said. "We done the Hip hip Hooray, but after the game that was the first time we've done it. It was very exciting."

"It's a little bit old school," Malcolm Kelly said, piling old school atop what was already old school last century. "Whatever he want to do. That's up to him.....I'm not for it or against it."

Asked if he had ever heard of a team celebrating with three cheers, Kelly laughed again.

"Not in the last 20 years," he said.

Added Anthony Montgomery from a few lockers over: "As long as we Hip Hip Hooraying, I'm alright."

And huzzah to that.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 29, 2008; 3:02 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Khary Campbell Had a Baby (Before Kickoff!)
Next: Chief Zee's Successor?

Comments

That's it. Twenty-three skidoo. Twenty-four,
twenty-five skidoo.

Posted by: C. Montgomery Burns | September 29, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

You gotta track Coach Knox down and get a quote on this... c'mon, Bog, make it happen!

Maybe an old-timer-off between Knox and Bum Phillips... now I'm getting greedy.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 29, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

At least Snyder wasn't on the sidelines as was the other owner.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 29, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

please tell me you got a shot of the sound guys Imperial Mustache right after danny boys cheering....

Posted by: theraph | September 29, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Maybe that works in Dallas after a win, but its not going to work in Iowa after a loss in the caucuses.

Posted by: Howard Dean | September 29, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

You had me laughing out loud all by myself at: "playing high school gym teacher"

And it got even better.
(It was that good old we just beat Dallas at home, giddy laughter...the best kind.)

Great post, Stienbog.

Posted by: Stumped | September 29, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I anxiously await Larry Michael's take on this.

Posted by: UMD's Burning Couch | September 29, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I am I the only person that remembers 3 CHEERS FOR THE REDSKINS AFTER A WIN DURING GEORGE ALLEN ERA.

Posted by: Tommy McVean | September 29, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

No Tommy, you're not the only one who remembers. You beat me to the post by about 15 minutes. It was mega-corny even back then...

Posted by: Truke | September 29, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Actually the whole hip hip horray thing brought back memories of George Allen beating Dallas or whomever else back in the day and doing his post game 'Let's have 3 cheers for the Redskins' . . . seen it many times over the yrs with Allen leading the OTHG in all that sorta stuff. Old school sure, but not out of place in a Skins victory over the Boys

Posted by: Garry | September 29, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

even hip hop hooray is old school....

Posted by: naughty by nature | September 29, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Mr. Steinberg is not old enough or even versed in Redskin's history to know that George Allen would celebrate in the locker room with a similar cheer. It would be followed by the players chanting, "and he is a horse's ass" (referring to Coach Allen)

Posted by: JT | September 29, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the shout out, Mr. Bog. Keep it up and maybe we won't create www.firedansteinberg.com.

Posted by: Homer McFanboy | September 29, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Let the Danny have his moment. I think Jerry Jones was the 12th man on the field on that 3rd down play.

Posted by: Up the Gut | September 29, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

It's pinewood derby, and it's Cub Scouts.

;^)

Posted by: worstSeat | September 29, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Guilty as charged on the history lesson, although in fairness to me, Jim Zorn didn't know about that either. Plus I'm not sure I was born at the time, and if I was, I definitely didn't live anywhere near D.C.

Regardless, it's a cool bit of symmetry, but Zorn said his own hip hipping had nothing to do with George Allen.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | September 30, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg,

You look like Dr. Evil's uncle...what do you mean you weren't born then? Seriously, don't try to act young...you look old...really old. Good luck at the "Old Man" Awards...i hope you win.

Posted by: errr | September 30, 2008 4:24 AM | Report abuse

Who does the hip hip hooray cheer anymore?

The head coach who went to Texas and stole one from the best team in football, that's all.

He installed a great game plan and deserves the game ball for the playcalling.

HTTR!

Posted by: Redskins Faithful | September 30, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Other things the Redskins should say after a win:

"Excelsior!"