DeShawn's Wardrobe Goes '80s

Highlights of my brief conversation with DeShawn Stevenson from earlier this week.

It starts with the massive series of tattoos he got last week that cover his entire chest and stomach: portraits of family members, a map of the state of Florida, a map of the state of California (complete with county lines), a basketball court featuring the sky (in honor of his daughter Sky), and the London Bridge, in honor of his youngest son, London.

A colleague pointed out to me that what is commonly called the London Bridge, and what is pictured on DeShawn's abdomen, is actually named the Tower Bridge. And granted, DeShawn's youngest son isn't actually named Tower. But still.

On his hair: "I've got a flat top, that's what I'm doing this year. Just the new thing. Just call it the J.R. Rider-slash-Kenny Smith. All year. No more beard"

On his wardrobe: "You know me, the season start, I'll be thinking about so many things, but right now it's just the flat-top. Oh, and I'm dressing different. I'm dressing '80s this year. You know, the bow-ties, the button-ups, the cashmere sweaters, roll the sleeves up, nice tight slacks, see-through glasses. Just wanted to do something different."

(His new wardrobe came from élevée, and he said it cost between $10,000 and $15,000, which he said was typical for a season-long NBA wardrobe. "That gets you ties, suits, the whole get up," he said.)

On the inspiration for his wardrobe: "Myself. I'm the new Dennis Rodman. Without getting in trouble."

On his new "2Family" clothing line: "I'm trying to push out 2Family, trying to get it out there, and hopefully it gets popping enough where I can start selling it. Right now we're making t-shirts, hopefully I can start making the hats. I have a lot of 'em at my house. What I'm trying to do, you know how you create the buzz? Try to wear them, then people try to say, 'Where'd you get them from?' You know, I don't want to put all my money into it and it doesn't sell."

[At the event where I saw him, his friend was wearing 2Family, but DeShawn was not. I asked why not. "I was," he said, "but I didn't want to be like brother and sister, matching."

On his birthday party plans: "I'm thinking about waiting until I'm 30 and doing a real, real big one. That's when I re-sign, too, so hopefully everything goes right, I re-sign back with the Wizards and throw a big party here."

On his music video career: "That was hilarious. All the Cleveland fans are writing negative stuff, but I did it just for fun. Sometimes basketball players don't have fun. It's the summer time. I mean, it was nothing degrading to anybody, doing anything stupid. It was an R&B song, no cussing. It was just funny, just a good time. Everybody liked it, so I might do it again"

On his sub-par lip-syncing: "I know, right? I didn't [practice], that's what made it funny. I just did it."

On the poster of himself hanging on the wall in that video: "Always. You've got to have confidence in yourself, because if you don't, who else is?"

So he actually hangs posters of himself in his house?
All my houses, yes. Who doesn't? Gilbert has posters. He has spray painted action figures of himself in his house, in his children's room: Like, he has DuckTales, Pink Panther, then him. Everybody does it."

On his crazy 2007-2008 campaign: "I think it's just the beginning. Being around Gilbert, I found a way to kind of market myself and use it to my advantage. Gilbert's a smart person. I'm not trying to do it to be stupid or anything, just create a buzz, and I think last year, I created a buzz. Now for me, [I can] just go out there and worry about my game now, and people are gonna kind of notice me."

On the playoffs: "The only thing I wish was Gilbert was healthy. Everything I said and did, I really meant it, and the team backed me up, coach backed me up. So the only thing now is we've just got to go out and play. We've got the team back, we've got the Big 3 back, so we've just got to go out and play."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 10, 2008; 2:29 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vegas's Week Two Power Rankings
Next: Bruce Boudreau's (D.C.) Acting Debut

Comments

I seem to having a bit of trouble feeling my face.

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Does this fall under, "Character," "Commitment," or "Connection"?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I just like to fast-forward to his little dance number at the end – look like he stayed up nights learning those moves.

“I'm the new Dennis Rodman. Without getting in trouble." - - - And hopefully without getting yourself into a wedding dress. I love Dennis, but that was a bit far…

Go Wiz!; Go Dan!

Posted by: Bridge | September 10, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Whoa whoa whoa...

SEE-THROUGH GLASSES?!?!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | September 10, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Character - Tell me he doesnt have it.
Committment - He's already talking about re-signing
Connection - Is he not connecting to his fans through this? Who doesnt like knowing that the players they cheer for are people with personalities.

Posted by: ccc | September 10, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I guess statutory rape doesn't count as trouble, then?

I can't to see DeShawn's sweet new 'do get beat by the cavs in the second round again.

I feel bad for Wizards fans everywhere.

Posted by: Milt Waverly | September 10, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

But will he be bold enough to wear an Art Monk football camp sweatshirt?

There is no 80's throwback without that item.

Posted by: StetSports.com | September 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Second...with matching burgundy and gold Zubaz pants!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 10, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

DeShawn Stevenson is a BAMA!!!

Posted by: Keino | September 10, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe Cleveland fans have anything to say. The Wizards are entertaining on and off the court. Cavs fans have to come over to the post website in order to find something to talk about. The Cavs are profoundly boring and lose in the playoffs one or two rounds after the Wiz. I'll take my team any day. I've never had more fun at a sporting event than last year at the Soulja Boy game in the playoffs. Go Wiz!

Posted by: Hobes | September 10, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

i wonder if Wizards equipment manager Rob Suller will need to buy a few pair of short booty shorts for DeShawns 80's style uniforms..man i havent seen a haircut like that since that terrible sideline reporter comcast had last season

Posted by: fanzofdray | September 10, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

ha ha ha

he got a tattoo of the wrong bridge.

oh my, that's up there with wrong chinese character tattoos.

definitely a bama

Posted by: FreeDC | September 10, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Caron and TO are poster boys for elevee. Check out the website Mens section.

Posted by: kdubs | September 11, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I must be desperate for Wiz news because I was far too excited to read about Deshawn's new wardrobe.

Posted by: Lou | September 11, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

@Lou
Man, I feel you! Getting this little something was almost better than that big 'O.' I was almost as worse as one of those “Herbal Essence” commercials…

Posted by: Bridge | September 11, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Ivan hasn't posted in weeks!!!!

Posted by: prescrunk | September 11, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse