Fred Smoot Thought He Was Batman

Fred Smoot, after his head-first third-quarter hit. (By Preston Keres - TWP)

Some of this may have appeared in today's actual newspaper coverage, but since I got the quotes, I feel ok re-using them here.

NFL head injuries are obviously no laughing matter. But with Fred Smoot, it's hard to find anything that's of no laughing matter, and so the jokes about his head-first bell-ringing hit on Patrick Crayton late in the third quarter led to some post-game laughs, especially from Smoot.

"You know, I was out of there for a minute," he told me. "I thought I was Batman. You know how you get when you get your bell rung?"

I've got one career concussion to my name, but I never thought I was a superhero. So no, I guess I don't know. Jim Zorn, any thoughts?

"I thought he was back in Ashburn when he got up," Zorn said. "I think he thought he was on the practice field."

"I did," Smoot agreed. "Then I looked up and we were in Texas Stadium, so it was time to play some football."

Smoot wobbled halfway across the field, kneeled back down, then wobbled onto the sidelines, where the cobwebs cleared. Teammates began to check in.

"I just asked him was he all right, that's all I needed to know, we had to play," Carlos Rogers said. "He just looked confused, but by the time I talked to him he was all right."

To test him, Rogers showed Smoot numbers on his hand. "He knew what numbers they were," Rogers joked, "so he was pretty good."

I asked Smoot whether he knew what the score of the game was right after the hit. "I wasn't worried about it," he said. "I was worried about just getting back and being there to play a little football."

So I asked again whether he knew the score of the game right after the hit.

"I was clueless," he said. "You could have called me a blond."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 29, 2008; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Look: Jim Zorn Stays Medium
Next: Redskins License Plates Get More Creative

Comments

LOL...

Cerato just called him "Colon Cowherd"

Posted by: joeblazin | September 29, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

LOL...

Cerato just called him "Colon Cowherd"

Posted by: joeblazin | September 29, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The original football Batman:

Posted by: EdTheRed | September 29, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

cowherd is eating his crow right now on the radio . . . so sweet

Posted by: the wnba | September 29, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

1. Nothing a Smack bar wouldn't have cleared out.

2. Since when did Cerrato become a lightening rod for calling out sports personalities.

3. News is still printed in papers?

Posted by: StetSports.com | September 29, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

All this talk about Smoot getting his bell rung not being a laughing matter isn't entirely true. I hit the ol' rewind on the DVR and sure enough Freddie sure enough didn't strap up his helmet on the play before having it removed by Crayton's legs. So it's all on him. Too many of these dummies run around w/o protecting themselves properly. They're supposed to be pros. I love Smoot, but I have no sympathy for him.

Posted by: Spagball | September 29, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Glad we can make light of it now -- head injuries are no laughing matter, and this "bell rung/cobwebs" nonsense is a vestige of the manly man rugged athletic mentality of the past, before we knew how seriously these injuries affect these guys.

But I was wondering how Smoot would have addressed Steinbog in that particularly addled moment... if it's "Day" on a perfectly lucid afternoon, what on earth could he have come up with with a recently rung bell?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 29, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse