Gil Updates Blog, Aiming for Xmas-ish Return

Happy times. (By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

Gilbert's third surgery pretty much mandated a return to the blogosphere, and it came just a few minutes ago, with well over 2,000 mostly knee-related words from Gilbert. And, as usual, I make an immediate retraction of my cynical pessimism in favor of amused and nostalgic sympathy. He pretty much put it best in this passage, one of several with a similar tone:

For my fans out there, this is the true challenge. From the coach telling me that I couldn't play on his varsity team, to not getting any minutes in college to getting drafted No. 31, that's all minor compared to what I have to come back from now. It's going to show what kind of will power I do have. I'm somebody who's gone through three knee surgeries within 17 months. As fast as my stardom came, my knee tried to take it away from me.

Most of it is just variations on that theme, with promises to continue working out his younger teammates (including Linton Johnson, whose last name he doesn't know), but there are two more pieces of must-read information.

* All this is speculation, of course, but Gilbert's wished-for time-frame is a bit later than previously reported. "I know time frames are dicey, but they said anywhere from mid December to January 1, I'll be back by then at 100 percent," he blogged. "I should be, if everything goes well. So that's the Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza present I'm hoping for. I've done been in crutches for so long that I hate the word 'crutch.' "

He also blogs that he's only two weeks behind the schedule he would have been on without surgery. I still say no better time to return than Dec. 25 at Cleveland.

* Also, just to show us he still has it, Gilbert includes one nugget of the sort he might have included back in the early days, when all was oxygen tents and jersey-gymnasiums. "I'm sitting here with my knee up high and elevated and I'm dribbling a basketball," he blogged. "I have almost 42 basketballs in my house. I got one in the toilet, I got one in the pantry....When I'm bored, that's what I do, pick up a basketball. I love basketball."

I don't doubt this one bit. But "almost 42?" Is "almost 42" a better descriptor than 41? For shake-your-head-and-smile purposes it is, and that's the whole point, no? Good to have you back in the blogosphere, Gil. Now tell us some more jokes about sharks, and remember, Christmas night in Cleveland. Maybe you can convince Pecherov to dress up like Santa.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 18, 2008; 9:45 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Ovechkin's Hair Cuttery Day
Next: Halo, Monopoly and David Beckham: The Quavas Kirk Interview

Comments

"I make an immediate retraction of my cynical pessimism in favor of amused and nostalgic sympathy." - -

Yeah, cuz I was about to kick yo ass Dan. I'm like "what the fuc_ is he doing/saying?"

Please don't be like those other writers...

Posted by: Bridge | September 18, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

read my books, then you'll the answer behind "42".

Posted by: Douglas Adams | September 18, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Seems like a nice guy but how much longer can he have.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 19, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't ever want to hear about or see Gilbert Arenas ever again. He was never that good to begin with and is just holding the wizards back. He single handedly is going to get EG and EJ fired this year. We should have let him go when we had a chance. All I have to say is I told you so.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I knew I could find Alex here looking for Bonita!

Posted by: Nathan | September 19, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert has an injury, and thus is the worst person in the world, and the Wizards are doomed to be horrible for eternity.

Posted by: Knee jerk fan | September 19, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Greetings Dan,
Great article on Caron B. - South Africa. Fast forward: E-mailed Mike Wise following his op ad of 9/18. Clearly, not upset with Gilbert with respect to his health but no excuse for not providing advance notificantion to current or potential season-ticket holders of his predicament. Nowwithstanding, Wizards marketing department was fully aware; yet, the motto is get those renewals regardless of how the team will be struture. Based on preponderance of evidence: used.

Posted by: KL | September 19, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Arenas is the Wizards Jaromir Jagr. A break the bank signing that will put the franchise in dire straits for YEARS. Abe Pollin may have done some good things for the city, but he SUCKS as an NBA owners. As a matter of fact, I fully expect the Wizards to fall behind the Caps in fan interest and attendance this season.

Posted by: Joe | September 20, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse