Gonzalo Martinez Has Curious Neck Hair

I often tend to exaggerate the importance of D.C. athletes in the wider world of sports. Like, if you asked me to name the most blog-friendly players in the NBA, NFL and NHL, I'd probably answer Gilbert Arenas, Chris Cooley and Alex Ovechkin. Surely that can't be the case. So maybe my judgment is clouded.

But still, I can't imagine any American metro area boasts two players from two sports who have gone more violently abstract in the images-shaved-into-their-heads category than D.C. First Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez, and now D.C. United defender Gonzalo Martinez, who appears to be preparing for tomorrow night's U.S. Open Cup Championship by paying homage to Kandinsky.

If anyone is particularly well-versed in the traditional Colombian art of abstract head art, please, explain. Regardless, the Charleston Battery likely don't know what they're in for, since there's no way you can afford a haircut like that on a USL-1 salary.

Images courtesy Behind the Badge.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 2, 2008; 11:57 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cal Ripken at the Mall
Next: Clinton Portis Has Eyes Between His Shoulders

Comments

I think I've seen this one before, it's the one where when you look at it one way it's an old lady, but when you look at it the other way it's an urn... or something... right?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 2, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Alberto Gonzalez was considering this style, but the Bog has caused him to think better of it.

Posted by: StetSports.com | September 2, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, I've missed the hard-hitting stories coming out the the Bog. Welcome back, Steinz.

Wasn't Martinez bald as of Saturday's game? I could've sworn he's been shaving his pate since he's been with DCU. Perhaps Olsen's sharing his "Rapid Hair Growth Foam for Men" with Gonzalo.

Posted by: Beaker | September 2, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

OK, I checked some pics of Martinez on DCU's web site. He's got hair, he just keeps it really short. He's looking a little shaggy in those pics above!

Posted by: Beaker | September 2, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Charlseton Battery is USL-2. That must mean that they REALLY couldn't afford that haircut.

Posted by: moreno4prez | September 3, 2008 7:08 AM | Report abuse

You should know better than to attempt to correct DSteinz, Charleston is indeed, USL Division 1.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 3, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse