Jay-Z Talks About DeShawn

Jay-Z and LeBron at this week's benefit for the LeBron James Family Foundation. (By Andy Kropa - AP)

Still using my "this happened during the Olympics so it doesn't matter that I'm a month late" excuse....

Did you catch Vibe's Special 15th Anniversary issue last month, featuring the exclusive interview with Jay-Z? Thankfully, the Vibe interviewer saw fit to ask Jay about DeShawn Stevenson and LeBron James, which, I believe, is the first time I've seen Jay explain his famous involvement in that playoff series.

All the somewhat confusing punctuation is Vibe's.

Vibe: Speaking of roundball, much has been said about your stake in the New Jersey Nets and your relationship with LeBron James. You even made a dis record aimed at Washington Wizards guard DeShawn Stevenson defending LeBron. How do you define your relationship with him?

Jay-Z: I had no intention to talk about the DeShawn Stevenson thing. I seen him beatin' the [expletive] out of LeBron, and he really couldn't do nothing. I really wanted to inspire [LeBron]. I sent him the ["Blow The Whistle (freestyle)"]. The song wasn't to be released. I sent him the song to get him amped up. I do [expletive] like that. I hit him on the BlackBerry all the way through the playoffs. There's a big trail of e-mails that we have where I'm almost like a coach on the sidelines for him 'cause...that's my little brother! I'm giving him advice, even outside of "Take the ball to the elbow and shoot." The psychology of what's going on: That's my role in his life."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 11, 2008; 2:44 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's Top Five: Elijah's Meltdown and Kornheiser's Car
Next: Portis Advocates Deep Balls, Insurrection

Comments

To quote one Nasir Jones, f*#k Jay Z.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | September 11, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Looks like yet another owner/coach giving LeBron advice? Wow

Posted by: Coach Jay-Z | September 11, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

No wonder the Cavs couldn't get past the Celtics. Jay-Z's offensive philosophy is horrible!

Posted by: StetSports.com | September 11, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I wish we had bloggers when Can-I-bus and LL Cool J were battlin'!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 11, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

If Dan Snyder was texting T.O. during the playoffs, Roger Goodell would put a hurting on Snyder's wallet. Why is David Stern asleep at the wheel on this one?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Crybaby

Posted by: PapaJohns | September 12, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

The relationship between Jay-Z and Lebron is obviously friendship before business (which would seperate it from good old fashioned tampering), but Jay-z needs to get it straight that he is not Phil Jackson and he has no business telling Lebron ANYTHING about basketball. Who knows...maybe it'll help the Wiz beat down the Cavs this year.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 3:31 AM | Report abuse

Jay-Z is on LeTravel's jock so hard, it's embarrassing.

Posted by: Obvious | September 12, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

jay-z is the greatest rapper of all time but does anyone really care about this?

Posted by: steve | September 12, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Exactly! I give Lebron his due but this is Wiz country and no one gives a flying frig about Lebron or Jayzee. What's up with Gil and his rehabbing of his knee? When does preseason practices start? Those are the kind of thing we Wiz fans care about. Not Lebron!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

LOL when will wizrads stop losing

Posted by: Wizards pwned | September 12, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Steve- jay-z is NOT the greatest rapper of all time or even today. I think Naz proved that....

In addition Tupac, Biggie and Rakim were also better than Jay-z.

Posted by: ETHER | September 12, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse