Larry Michael Sides With Vinny Cerrato

When I heard that Larry Michael would be discussing Vinny Cerrato's allegation that Jason La Canfora made some sort of allegation to an NFL PR person, I was trying to figure out what Michael would say. Would the host of Redskins Nation--a program that airs on the same Comcast SportsyNet channel that features Washington Post Live--have a laugh at the stir caused by this area's newest radio host? Would he marvel that, on the day after such an important win, so many fans were buzzing not about football but about sports talk radio and blogs and the role of the media in modern society?

Would he reassure viewers that cooler heads would soon prevail? Meditate on the hurt feelings that can result from conversation-through-blog? Take the high road and ignore the issue altogether?

"The Sourcerer has stepped over the line in his hate of the Redskins, and I'm being serious!!" Michael said, previewing his upcoming segment. "That's coming up next, on Redskins Nation!"

Aha. Gotcha. He would instead continue to refer to La Canfora with a ridiculous nickname, issue overwrought rhetoric, attempt to rally support behind his employer and urge fans to contact La Canfora's, all after a catchy tease.

The Redskins Media Empire may loathe Jason La Canfora, but they sure aren't shy about exploiting him for content. They should at least give him a line in the media guide, under "Enemies" or something. I hope Jason never leaves The Post, but if he does, there's gonna be a lot of empty airwaves flying out from Ashburn. Maybe they can instead review some of the team's greatest playoff wins of the 21st century.

Here's Michael's speech, which will likely go down as a shining example of American oratory:

Time for the Source Meter, folks. I mean, it is on red alert. And right now the question i have to ask you, is should the Sourcerer now be known as the Tamperer? Just unbelievable. The Sourcerer has crossed the line this time folks, and I'm giving you the story that Vinny Cerrato related on his Monday radio show on ESPN 980. And this is the truth, so listen to what I'm gonna tell you, and you can make your own determination about the Sourcerer and the hate.

Actually it goes beyond hate, because apparently after Vinny's show on Friday, the Sourcerer picked up the phone and called the NFL to try to quote, "turn the Redskins in," because of comments made on the show by Adam Schefter, who was a guest, and comments during this radio show. This borders on the absurd, and it's certainly unprofessional.

Who elected the Sourcerer as an NFL policeman here at Redskins Park? He's got nothing to do with the operation of this football team. Ok? He's not looking for weapons of mass destruction or anything like that, all right? And he picks up the phone and tries to bust the Redskins on an allegation that doesn't even come close to the definition of tampering. Vinny read on his show the definition of tampering today. You make your own determination.

You're talking about a guy who is covering a football team and is inserting himself, trying to insert himself, into the operation of the team. I don't believe that's his responsibility, ok? And so the hate is really nothing. This is beyond hate, ok? This is unprofessional, and if you're a fan out there, I would let the guy's employer know about this, to be honest with you.

Because usually I do this tongue-in-cheek. But after I heard this, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He has nothing to do with the operation of this football team, ok? And if he's sitting there waiting for someone to say something so he can drop a dime to the NFL, you tell me if Redskins Nations should read his articles. You tell me if Redskins Nation shouldn't be up in arms over the Sourcerer today. It's got my blood boiling, ok?

Because the Redskins right now are doing the best they can under a new head coach. It's pro football. This town loves the Redskins. This is a Redskins town. And to have a guy covering the team who hates the team, has a personal agenda against the team, is totally unacceptable, all right?

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 23, 2008; 12:29 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This Was a Pretty Good Year For the Nats
Next: Skins Fans Want Dallas

Comments

JLC was wrong. Your defending him is no different than Larry siding with Vinny.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael is such a tool and Redskins Nation is top five worst shows of all time..."Oh my god the sourcerer did this and then he did that, and WHO CARES"

Posted by: unreal | September 23, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I miss Frank Herzog.

Posted by: Ben | September 23, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, if a pillar of the journalistic community like Larry Michael thinks La Canfora stepped over the line, then it must be true.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

this is so absurd. larry michael makes ME want to hate the Redskins. So many of the characters surrounding this team are behaving like children (including michael, cerrato and lacanfora).

Posted by: sunnyman | September 23, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I hate to keep playing the same old song, but this all goes back to Danny The Yard Gnome.

He has ruined the team, polarized the fan base (it was never like this when The Squire owned the team) disrespected and gouged his "customers" and continues to retain clown like Larry Michael while trying to control all media about his team.

So sad.

Posted by: bethesda | September 23, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Stop being a tool, ok?
Stop saying OK, ok?
Thanks.

Posted by: shut up larry | September 23, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame he did that, very un-called for. I don't agree with what LaConfora did, and I think he should move on from the Skins' beat, but Larry crossed the line in return, two wrongs don't make a right, and just gave fuel to any LaConfora defenders, what an idiot.

I must say though, that if the WaPost is actually trying to provide "news" on the Redskins, how can that be done well with an individual who has alienated himself from the organization he is being paid to cover? From a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense.

A WaPost explanation to this would be nice, but entirely unexpected.

Posted by: BluCollar Redskin | September 23, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

this rant sounds like it is straight from the republican playbook. show mock indignation about something trivial, something so horrible you cant believe anyone would dare discuss it...yet keep talking about it.

correct me if i'm wrong, but JLC didnt actually publish (in the paper or online) about whether vinny was suspected of tampering, correct? he just asked a question of the league and got an answer. the answer didn't lead to anything, so he didnt write about it. the only reason this issue is seeing the light of day is that vinnie is talking about it and now larry is piling on.

no doubt this is a well thought out strategy from the skins pr department to get JLC off the beat and get some lap dog to do their reporting. more evidence that snyder owning a radio station is a bad idea. vinny and larry's shows should come with a disclaimer that the view expressed are solely those of the redskins and that the hosts are paid by the redskins, lest anyone think otherwise.

Posted by: Sounds familiar | September 23, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Objective, unbiased reporting is one thing. Call NFL offices is another. There are over 81,000 sites online which address NFL tampering rules. It would've been easier for JLC to simply google the rules instead of calling the NFL offices to "inquire." While I don't particularly have an opinion on JLC one way or another, I'm not buying the excuses being provided for him. Anyone who calls what he did "investigative journalism" needs to step back and look again.

Posted by: Fushezzi | September 23, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

LMAO

Posted by: Kid Bro Sweetz | September 23, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

bethesda @ 12:45 PM is exactly correct. It really is sad how Snyder has polarized the fan base.

Posted by: bethesda @ 12:45 PM | September 23, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

well, if anyone would know about someone being "unprofessional," it's baghdad larry.

Posted by: odessasteps | September 23, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

With this latest rant Larry Michaels seems to be doing a pretty good impression of Bill O'Reilly

Posted by: 4 Real | September 23, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I'm glad my favorite team is, depending on who you ask, the 4th or 5th most important pro team in town.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 23, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fushezzi | September 23, 2008 12:53 PM
_________________________________________

Do you want reporters to rely on the internet and google for their information, or go straight to the source to get the most official answer possible? For my money, I want my news to come straight from the horse's mouth, not the internets.

I think its responsible reporting on JLC's part, and I think its great that SteinBog is defending his own.

Posted by: JS in L'Enfant | September 23, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

OKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKKOKOOKOKOKOOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOOKOKOKOK

Posted by: OK | September 23, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Plus, Larry Michael looked and sounded like a petulant child last night when "reporting" on the "the Sourcerer". That was nowhere near objective or professional television. I was embarrased watching him rantlast night. I imagine JLC sitting back and giggling over how silly Larry Michael and Vinny are looking in public right now.

Posted by: JS in L'Enfant | September 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

95% of the time I find myself in complete agreement with any anti-Snyder/Cerrato position, but they're right about JLC. He's turning into the Skins' version of Mariotti- except he's a beat writer, not a columnist. And this last episode is just surreal. The fact that I've started turning to a newspaper owned by a cultist nutjob and published by a bunch of right-wing nutjobs for day-to-day Redskins reporting speaks volumes.

Posted by: Fozzie1 | September 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JS in L'Enfant | September 23, 2008 1:10 PM

Isn't this "Straight to the Source?"

Posted by: Fushezzi | September 23, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

It amazes me that with a 2-1 record and an optimistic outlook on the first half of the season, everyone's talking about Jason LaCanfora again. He's an awesome reporter who tells it like it is. After losses he's critical, and after wins he's positive. Why do people like Vinny Cerrato and Larry Michael have to keep making a big deal out of nothing, just to vilify Jason LaCanfora? Nobody cares.

Posted by: Nobody Cares | September 23, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, one employee of the Redskins supporting another employee of the Redskins. Will wonders never cease?

Posted by: TMU | September 23, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

JLC should be transferred to another assignment. I do not say this because Larry Michael ( aka I kissed #ss and got Herzog's job ) says so. I say this because he has lost all credibility with the organization he is supposed to be covering. How is he going to get the skinny on anything happening in the Redskins organization now ? Sorry JLC. I think you played your last hand on this one.

Posted by: VaBroker | September 23, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

time for jlc to pack up his ipod and get out of town.

Posted by: tugboat | September 23, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Everyone involved in this sound like children. The problem is, as an independent journalist, Jasno never comes across as an independent. Then he tops it off with an unsolicated call to the NFL telling them, in essence, that the team he covers may have tampered with another team, which in turn may have cost OUR team atleast one draft pick. How is this unbiased? I don't want a homer, just someone who can keep his personal feelings at the bar with the fellow Ravens fans.

Posted by: bishopj | September 23, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Fozzie on this one. I find myself more and more going to the right wing propaganda paper and redskins.com for my info. And it makes me really sad. JLC should be taken off the beat.

Isn't the point of a beat writer to use his insider status to get the dirt from the org he's covering? When all the info comes from execs of other teams, who's interests are being served?

Posted by: WrongDog | September 23, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael does suck, and his speaking out about this doesn't help, But JLA sucks even more!!!

Posted by: wstclair | September 23, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I forget Dan what was approval rating on your summertime rating of media people?

Posted by: Larry Michael | September 23, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Larry is great the way he defends us....NOT

Posted by: Dan Synder | September 23, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he wanted an on the record quote from the league office that could be used in a story, if it proved to be newsworthy, rather than something he found on google?

I don't know...but regardless it is the Redskins front office that looks the fool here. Again.

Posted by: prophet | September 23, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I am sure glad we don't have something called "Cowboys Nation" or a guy writing for the Dallas Tribune trying to get my team in trouble.

I have to get ready for the Redskins - peace out.

Posted by: Tony Romo | September 23, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The outrage over this seems pretty nonsensical. Reporter has a question over the applicability of a rule to a certain fairly unprecedented, and unusual situation. Reporter calls the public relations staff of the organization that administers this rule, and asks for a comment about whether that rule applies to that unprecedented, and unusual situation . Organization tells him that the rule doesn't apply. This seems to be fairly standard reporting practices.

The arguments against La Canfora's actions make no sense to me. The two lines of arguments (often coming from the same people) have broken down into two camps:

(1) The tampering rule so obviously doesn't apply, he should have known it from the text of the rule itself. Hence, La Canfora somehow had it out for the Redskins management by calling the NFL about it.

Assuming that the rule obviously does not apply, AND that La Canfora has it out for the current management, what does he gain by turning them in for a clear non-violation? Obviously, it would result in non-action, and La Canfora would know that. It seems more likely, if he realized this much, that he just wanted an authoritative quote confirming that fact.

OR

(2) This was, at least arguably (in his mind or objectively), an actual violation of the tampering rule, and that La Canfora put the Redskins in real risk of losing draft picks/fines by calling the NFL.

If that is true, then he is doing his job! Regardless of his motivation, in this hypothetical he had probable cause to suspect that team management was violating league rules, which is a major story that should be broken. Not at least following up on a story like that is what you expect from a Redskins employee, not a legitimate journalist.

Either way, the arguments just don't make much sense to me.

Posted by: DY | September 23, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

The energy devoted by the Skins organization toward hating the WP in general, and JLaC in particular, is hilarious. Meanwhile, Larry "Igor" Michael tries to tell us that the team will tell us the truth -- when the GM admits that he lies when it's in the team's best interests, as he should.

I'm not sure there's ever been a sports organization as paranoid as the Skins under the Danny.

Posted by: TMU | September 23, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato should be focusing on this years upcomming draft instead of doing radio,Larry Michael is the single worst play by play man on radio in the NFL(and no i've not heard all 31)Everyone indentified with Frank Herzog but Frank was not a homer just damn good at pbp and had a knack for getting it right, i used to turn down the tv and listen to Frank,Sam,and Sonny but since Frank left i don't even bother with radio.Larry is another one of Danny's "boys" who basically stabbed Frank in the back to get his job i guess what bothers me most is Sam and Sonny let him get away with it.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | September 23, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

JLC was wrong and you defending him is just as bad. He is worthless to Redskins nation and we should never let this die.

Posted by: Greg | September 23, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

dargremag,

i agree wholeheartedly with your point. however i do want to defend Sam. if i remember correctly Sam spoke out against the canning of Herzog at the time it occurred. Sonny on the otherhand said nothing.

The actions of Sonny on this and the Jeff George incident are the two reasons why i lost all respect for the man.

Posted by: pindar | September 23, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

If I'm not mistaken, Cerrato has been on the radio on two days so far, and on both days, he has brought up La Canfora.

Isn't it clear that one of the reasons Cerrato has been told to do radio is that the Redskins feel it is important to the organization to discredit La Canfora?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael is a tool, his bosses Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato are tools, and JLC just calls it as he sees it. Look at their track records. They speak for themselves.

Posted by: DC Fan | September 23, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael really is a butt-kissing tool. I'd swear that if Dan Snyder ran out of toilet tissue, good ol' Larry would offer his tongue as a substitute. Jasno made an inquiry to the League; that's no big deal. You'd think the guy had committed treason or something.

Even the name "Redskins Nation" is silly. The Redskins have a relatively small regional following. Outside of a 200-mile radius, you couldn't find five guys that could name more than four Redskin players. It's not like they're a glamour team like the Cowboys or the Patriots, teams that move the ratings needle for the NFL.

As much as Skins fans will hate to admit it, most of the hatred and dislike for the Cowboys stems from sheer envy.

Posted by: G-Money | September 23, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but JLC gives a pretty darn good Rusty Trombone. I should know...

Posted by: Spence | September 23, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't really matter whether JaLaCa was right OR wrong, if Vinnie didn't bring the subject up, none of the public would have never have known about it.

Vinnie is just making himself look silly over what should be a non-issue.

Secretly, JaLaCa and the Post are LOVING this publicity. JLC 1, Vinnie 0.

Posted by: charlie | September 23, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael is a clown who is employed to feed the Redskins propadanda machine. I am much more likely to believe JLC and the Post over Snyder and Cerrato. They are spinmasters.

All the people clammoring for JLC's head need to get a little perspective. This isn't life or death. Why is the assumption made that JLC did something wrong? Because it was spun that way by Vinny Cerrato. Who's to say he isn't just saying this to create controversy so they can make more advertsing money and slam the Washington Post in the process. I'm a skins fan but Snyder and Cerrato make me sick with the crap they pull. I believe they are liars and this is a prime example.

Posted by: SportsBlogRob | September 23, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Boooooo!!! Jason La Canfora was mean to my boyfriend!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

The problem is that this isn't an isolated incident. JLC has been ruthlessly negative in his coverage of a team that has made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years and has started 2-1 this year. He covers negative angles far, far more extensively than positive developments. I'm not the only person to notice this- it's clear to plenty of rational fans.

The way that Snyder and Cerrato treat fans, the media, etc. is disgraceful. JLC should not let that affect how he covers the personnel that really matter, but he does. Let Steinberg make amusing, insightful posts about what asses Snyder and his lackeys are. JLC shouldn't be constantly making it sound like the sky is falling when the team has been relatively successful on the field.

Posted by: Fozzie1 | September 23, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

i wish it was sally jenkins who did this. she needs her house toilet papered

Posted by: thigh master | September 23, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

My god, what a corporate shill. I didn't think my opinion of Larry Michael could sink any farther . . . I loathe Larry Michael's entire hack existence, and hope he gets fired, which will never happen because little Danny boy is all about taking care of his little corporate flunkies.

Posted by: Bucky Katt | September 23, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Regarldess of what you think about JLC, Larry Michael has simply reinforced every negative opinion about him byt he way he has reacted. He's a joke in the journalism community and among most fans. But hey, The Danny and Vinny must love him.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

No doubt the next words out of his mouth, as soon as he was off the air ... "How'd I do, Boss?"

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 23, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! This totally beats out Portis vs. BMitch! Go Larry, Go Jason!

Posted by: Glonn | September 23, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick of all the hate for our front office (Danny & Vinny) and anyone who supports them. I am mostly sick of the WP and all their sports writers and bloggers who have openly shown their hate. I am not in unison with every move the front office has made in the past but I think they've done a pretty good job lately, but nothing they do pleases the WP. If they pick up free agents WP says they don't draft enough. When they picked up 10 draft picks this year the WP was asking why weren't they going for any free agents. Apparently, according to the WP nothing the front office does is right or good enough. I for one am sick of all their hating and refuse to read, listen to, or watch anything WP until they change their tactics. Which I know won't happen because negativity gets attention (according to WP). I hope the Redskins go all the way this year and then let's see what kind of garbage the WP can come up with. I'm sure they'll find something or will stir something up.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm Canceling the post, they not only hate America but now the Skins? That's the last straw!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree more with that wise sage, Fushezzi. I think all newspapers, including the Post, should Google first, ask questions later. In fact, I think Post reporters should solely rely on Google for their information. Like Fushnezzi, I would rip the phones out of the Post's offices faster than it takes Jason Campbell to misread a defense. It's 2008, JLC! Why the hell are you still using such antiquated technology like a telephone, when you could be using the Internets? Stein, you could learn a few things from my man Fushezzi, too. If you would just open your mind, it will all become so clear to you.

Posted by: UMD's Burning Couch | September 24, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

"This is Larry Michael, broadcasting live from deep inside Dan Snyder's bung."

Has anyone actually ever watched that infomercial he runs on TV in the early hours? Shameless, isn't it? I never thought that anyone could possibly make Ron Popeil look sophisticated, but he's done it!

Posted by: Jamsonian | September 24, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

There's a whole lot of people in here who seem to think it's a reporter's job to be an ass clown of the team they are covering. Once you graduate from high school please show us what other major league sports city newspaper serves as a PR blowhard for the teams they are covering?

(hint: none)

Posted by: rickNmd | September 24, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Name This Man: A prominent Washingtonian takes over a position of power and influence, quickly surrounds himself with loyal lieutenants, becomes paranoid and delusional when his leadership fails, resents the Washington Post and sends his cronies out to attack them. Am I speaking about Dan Snyder or Richard Nixon?!? Can't tell the difference? Neither can I!!!

Posted by: Jamesonian | September 24, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Dan:
I think Jason is 100% right on the money. In addition, Larry Michael is a walking propaganda machine that has no right being the business. I saw him not too long ago at FEDEX Field and tried to say hello, he quickly walked by and didn't even turn his head...the guy even walks like an arrogant person who thinks he owns the world. I think Larry has some nerve making statements in support of Vinny. Why? What kind of authority is Larry Michael? If I was charged with a crime, do I want Jim Bowden as my lawyer, no! Once again, Dan Snyder needs to realize these people are hurting him. Like him or not, Snyder's a winner, whether in business or on the field. People need to respect him for that...however, I have no respect for his hiring practices!

Posted by: Nathan-Vienna,VA | September 24, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

As a Redskins fan, I don't appreciate someone trying to hurt my team by calling the NFL with some absurd accusation. I don't care who works for who, the bottom line is, LaCanfora tried to hurt my team. He is a Jerk for doing that.

Posted by: Kevin | September 24, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Larry is that little kid in school that kisses ass and always gets great praise from his teachers eventhough he sucks and none of his peers like him. What this is turning into with him and the skins propoganda network is truly sickening and for any fans out there that want to support a group like the skins management team says something about this area as a sports town. I hope fans around here rally around the caps this year -- fan friendly owner, great young players, exciting atmosphere -- you'll thank yourself down the line

Posted by: John | September 24, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

This is absolutely riveting radio/newspaper reading, I tell ya. Anything to distract from the game on the field.

Posted by: I Smell Burnt Smoot | September 24, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

A tree fell in the woods . . . but My Cousin Vinny was the only one there to hear it. Will Stuart Little buy the Post now?

He Hate Me

Posted by: CapitolBill | September 24, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Jason on this one. He was doing his job by asking questions to check out what he is being told. That's what reporters do. He didn't turn anyone in, he didn't take sides. If he found out the NFL had problems with the show, he would have reported it. If there's nothing going on, there's no story. Given that the NFL is so totally anal about everything -- see Feinstein's book on the Ravens for the length of towels players can have -- I'm sure someone in the Mother Ship monitors radio programs. Jason wasn't telling them anything they didn't know.

It's not Jason's job to be a fan, at least not a fan of the Redskins. His job is to be a reporter and he's doing a great job.

Larry Michael gets paid by the Redskins. If he had done anything other than defend Uncle Junior, that would have been news.

Posted by: Art from Olney | September 24, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Larry Michael is a PUSSY and he's never has a single indpendent thought of his own since ousting Frank Herzog!

He reminds me of a little dog that runs up and barks at you then runs behind his owner for protection. He's certainly NO FRANK HERZOG and the sooner he's gone the better for all of the Redskins fans who can't stand such a whimp in the radio booth!!

I've spent my whole time turning off the TV audio when the Redskins play all these years with Sonny and Sam since they started. BUT NO MORE. Sorry Sonny & Sam. You guys deserve a hella of a lot better.

Posted by: Harley-Jim | September 24, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I miss Frank
I hate Larry
I hate that every freakin channel I used to listen to on the radio is now owned by Danny Pretzel and I'm forcing myself to listen to hot 99.5...ugh
I still hate Larry

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"I hope Jason never leaves The Post, but if he does, there's gonna be a lot of empty airwaves flying out from Ashburn. Maybe they can instead review some of the team's greatest playoff wins of the 21st century"

Way to try to get support from the fanbase by adding this little backhanded assault...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Vinny made a mountain out of a non-subject. Larry Michael is a tool.
Frank Herzog was great, too bad Larry took him away from us.
Danny Boy trying to suppress dissenting opinions and reporting.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I loathe and lack respect for Vinny and the Belt Buckle Kid as much as the next guy, but I think La Canfora crossed the line here. As I understand it, a league spokesman said: “Jason La Canfora called our office and said that Vinny Cerrato was talking in specifics on his radio show about the Raiders’ coaching position. Jason wanted to know if that could possibly be a tampering issue.” Here is what Vinny said that caused the inquiry (or words to this effect): "Did Kiffin get on the plane to Buffalo?" Since the spat began, La Canfora has made his disdain for Vinny clear (Jason, hating Vinny is the fan's job, not yours).

It's La Canfora's job to elicit information, not to stir things up or get people in trouble. Going forward, I will have a hard time taking anything La Canfora writes at face value.

Posted by: doc | September 24, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

And you are all correct that Frank Herzog is great and Larry Michael is, as Ken Beatrice might say, "in a word, 'deplorable.'"

Posted by: doc | September 24, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Larry is such a suck-up.

By the way, the Skins' win over New Orleans was due to a depleted secondary because of injuries, and The Cardinals are still considered a Division II college team, and they had to hang on to win that one.

I hate the Cowboys with a passion, but they will reveal the REAL Redskins this weekend.

It Won't be pretty.

Posted by: ragnkjun | September 24, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michaels is a gutless turd and Vinny Cerato is an incompetent, bug-eyed freak. He's like Matt Millen... being best buddies with the owner really helps.

Posted by: Mike | September 24, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Lacanfora was WRONG WRONG WRONG although it is certainly predictable that all the slimy Posties would circle the wagons. The guy went out of his way to try to sandbag Cerrato. Regardless of whether LaCanfora's personal animus toward the Redskins is justified, the mere fact of that animus means he should be terminated from that beat. No ifs, ands or buts.

Posted by: JIM | September 24, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

While I'm definitely not a Skin fan I'm totally on their side on this one. Watch Steinberg and every other Post employee circle the wagons and stick up for Lacanfora at the same time criticizing Michael, etc., for doing the same thing. Hypocrites on the front page, editorial page and now the sports page

Posted by: Skin hater | September 24, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Gee the economy is in the crapper and this what people are worried about??? The Danny ought to be more concerned about how the real fans and other spectators are going to continue to afford to come watch this once respected NFL franchise.

Posted by: LO | September 24, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Both of them steped over the line. It's been said numerous times before but JLC's hate of the team has gone to far this time. It continues to leak into his reporting and what used to be an awesome blog has turned into a platform for character assination towards Vinny Cerrato and Danny Boy (not totally undeserved on Dannys part).

Larry Michael on the other hand is just annoying and personally I would rather the Redskins hire someone that doesn't patronize every move the team makes.

Personally I hate bias and both Michael and JLC are exhibiting two of the worst forms of bias I've ever seen. If anything Michael should have stayed out of this as the issue as it played out was between Cerrato and JLC.

I appreciate Steinberg standing up for his friend, a stand that I don't see any real benefit for Steinberg, which leads me to believe this post is a selfless act (unlike Michael who always comes to the Redskins "aid"). However I still stand by my view that JLC was in the wrong here.

The funny thing is that if you took RI without all the VC and DS schoolyard drama then JLC would be the toast of the town. However reporting on the petty issues that have leaked into JLC's blog continues to turn off readers across Redskins Nation. I wish JLC would be the bigger man, but unfortunately it might be to late.

Posted by: RIV | September 25, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse