Many Tattooed Skins MVP

(Quick programming note: I'll be on Washington Post Live today from 5-6 on Comcast SportsyNet. Presumably we'll spend most of the hour discussing the Nats. Katie Carrera will be with me on set. The real schedule includes Redskins, Ravens, NFL and Terps talk, plus highlights from Jim Zorn's press conference and the unveiling of The Post's new high school football Top 20.

Also, progressive sports writer Dave Zirin--a frequent collaborator with Etan Thomas--will be doing two local readings this week to promote his new book, "A People's History of Sports In the United States." Tonight there's a talk at the Shirlington library at 7, followed by a signing at the Shirlington Busboys and Poets; Wednesday night there's a 6:30 pm event at the D.C. Busboys and Poets and 14th and V.)

Anyhow, so there was a diehard Skins fan and University of Delaware grad with all sorts of Skins wackiness shaved into his head yesterday. But was there also a diehard Skins fan and University of Delaware grad with sorts of Skins wackiness tattooed onto his body yesterday? Why, yes. Yes, there was.

This was Fran Farren, 45, from Newark, Del. (That's New-Ark, thanks very much.) While interviewing him, I was moderately distracted by the man to our left vomiting incredible amounts of, well, vomit I guess. That was my first clue that the regular season had arrived in Landover. The second was Fran's body, which he has turned into a temple of Riggo and S-Tay and graphically bloody revenge exacted on the NFC East.

These six Skins tattoos were amassed over a period of five years. The image above came off a painting of Riggo. The Native American unleashing a bloody attack on the Eagles helmet was designed by his tattoo artist, as were the anti-Cowboys logo and the pic of Riggo as the Tasmanian Devil. The 21 ribbon and the Skins logo both came off the Internet.

Just when you think you've seen everything, you see a cartoon Riggo sharing skin with a bloody tomahawk. Good show, Blue Hens.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 15, 2008; 1:29 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shaved Headed Skins MVP
Next: Today's Top Five: The Devil Wears a Broncos Jersey

Comments

"Presumably we'll spend most of the hour discussing the Nats."

Is it possible for a person to be a troll on his on site?

Posted by: Inquiring Minds | September 15, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Man, have I got an idea for this guy:

You know that Indian (/Native American) shedding a tear for the environment (that 70s commercial).

Well, a tat of that guy, except that his tear turns into a thousand daggers going into the heart of Eli Manning.

Optional: class it up by giving the Native American a monocle...it might not hurt to have him holding a snifter of brandy either.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | September 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Native American and Brandy? Come on TruthAboutIt! That is soooo racist.

Posted by: No likey the Fire Water | September 15, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Fran's my boy and we tailgate together everygame. I'm just surprised he doesn't have all of the Lombardi trophies tattoed on his back yet.

Posted by: G20 FdaCowboys | September 15, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, I really hope the pic of Riggo pulling away isn't supposed to be his game-winning TD in the Super Bowl, because that was against the Dolphins and not the Cowboys.

Posted by: JP | September 15, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Just because of a harsh reality turned tragic stereotype doesn't mean that a Native American can enjoy an adult beverage now.....what's next, telling white guys they're not allowed to dance anymore?

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | September 16, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the image of Riggo breaking away originally had a Dolphin helmet on, but I hate the Cowboys much more than the Dolphins so I change the logo. Sue me.

Posted by: Fran Farren | September 16, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse