Portis vs. B-Mitch

Brian Mitchell crushes Clinton Portis regularly on ESPN 980 and on Comcast SportsyNet. Clinton Portis regularly hears the criticism, despite the fact that athletes aren't supposed to be paying attention to the media. The soup was getting ready to boil over. Today it did.

Here was one highlight from today's Portis appearance on ESPN 980's John Thompson Show, with Portis responding to Mitchell's comments about Portis's comments, more or less:

Portis: We got some haters, and there's one on this show. He's so caught up in whatever I do and being negative about it. Man, I really want to know what's going on....There's a man on your show who can't keep my name out of his mouth, it's always the negativity."....

Mitchell: "The next time I see you, I'll step to you."

Portis: "I'm a grown man, you're a grown man....All your comments over the years, bro, they're really starting to add up."

What a week, and it's only Tuesday! By the next segment, here's what John Thompson was saying: "Some of what was said, probably by both of them, didn't necessarily have to be said in this forum." Then fans started calling in and passing judgment; one said Mitchell sounds jealous.

"Brian Mitchell is jealous of no one, let's get that straight," B-Mitch said. I was waiting for him to offer to step to that fan.

Fun fun fun. By the end of the segment, there was some sort of mild reconciliation.

Portis: As far as B man, I didn't bring to mean that to your show, it was just really bothering me....I'm gonna leave it alone man. I'm gonna leave it alone....it's squashed on my behalf."

B-Mitch: "We ain't gonna ever be super tight....The closer I get to you the harder I'm gonna be on you."

Coach Thompson: "It's called respect."

It's called great radio! Next week, Mark Brunell vs. Steve Czaban, please!

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 16, 2008; 3:39 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeSean Jackson Goofs, Cooley and Kornheiser Apologize
Next: Caron Discusses His Trip to South Africa

Comments

b-mitch irritates me.

Posted by: choefosho | September 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

B. Mitch was a great Redskin. I was always a big fan on the field.

I met him about 6 months ago, and I'm not much of a fan anymore.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 16, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The interview was a classic, I think both had good points

Posted by: joeblazin | September 16, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

full transcript!!!

Posted by: hmmmmm | September 16, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah full transcript!

Posted by: dolph | September 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

What does "I'll step to you" mean?
Sorry, I'm a little too white (or old) to know.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

B-Mitch is a great guy who calls it as he see's it. On this one he got it all made up. He's so critical of CP that you might think CP owes him something. Some student's study all night to pass an exam while some just go thru the basic points for refreshment and get the A's. Come on B-Mitch stop picking on little bro.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

FULL TRANSCRIPT!!!!

Posted by: G20 FdaCowboys | September 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Full transcript would be WAY too long, they're supposed to post the Audio on espn980.com soon

Posted by: joeblazin | September 16, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

How about Andy Pollin vs. Every Caps fan. He's certainly said many god-awful things about us over the years.

Posted by: FS | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FS | September 16, 2008 4:25 PM

I can arrange Andy to fight both of you.

Posted by: Andy Pollin's Mgr. | September 16, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I listen to B-Mitch and he's just rambling, jumping around from one point to the next as his co-hosts shoot holes in his nonsense arguments. But...eventually he stumbles across a solid argument that makes me nod my head in agreement and think, however briefly, that he might actually know what he's talking about.

Then he spends another 15 minutes throwing crap against the wall.

Posted by: prophet | September 16, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I can arrange for you to not be an A-hole.

Posted by: Andy Pollin's Mgr.'s Mgr. | September 16, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if I can appropriately explain "step to you" to the white/old guy, but I'll just say that the proper reaction would be to "raise up" and then perhaps remove your shirt and spin it over your head like a helicopter.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | September 16, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree before making a comment we should here the whole thing. B-Mitch could have just been keeping it real, and it went wrong.

But to be honest B-Mitch was never the player CP is.

He was one of my favorites, I know. But the guy could never ever crack anyones starting line up. But very talented. It's like comparing CP to Rock Cartwright.

Posted by: Buttoned Lips | September 16, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Step to you means:

Mitchell: "The next time I see you, I'll step to you."

Translation: the next time I see you, I will say it in your face>

Posted by: The answer | September 16, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Mitchell is absolutely atrocious on the radio. Laughably bad. Portis should feel free to point that out next time they step to each other. Turnabout is fair play, right?

Posted by: Stalk Much? | September 16, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

if portis had bmitch's attitude, he'd be a beast. if bmitch had portis' talent, he'd still be playing. if bmitch sucked on the air just a little more, he could get a seat next to Emmitt on espn.

Posted by: rashad | September 16, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I want to agree with Mitchell. I hate the stupid costumes, the constant whining. But how can you hate a guy that throws blocks with the ferocity of Clinton Portis? He's a football player. And so was Mitchell. I think they have more in common than either of them would want to admit.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

1. When did Brian Mitchell get the juice to be referred to as B-Mitch?

2. When did Brian Mitchell get the juice to refer to himself in the third person?

Posted by: StetSports.com | September 16, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Agree, I think he is "hating" too much on Portis...He also "hates" on Gilbert Arenas during the playoffs and all. To me it's jealousy that he didnt get paid like them, but he doesnt/didnt have the talent.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Mitchell is such a loser. He's no analyst, he sounds like a guy with a grudge. For whatever reason he has a grudge against the Skins, maybe because they don't do it like the Skins of his era, but who cares, MITCHELL let it go, your time is over.

It's always, I KEEP IT REAL, I'm hardcore...whatever! Mitchell you're no tough guy you were a special teams standout...yes I said, standout...you were great on teams, but you were a below average football player otherwise. No doubt, Doc and the Fatboys (Homer Simpson lookalike Czaban and the other ugly fat guy) will staunchly defend their buddy Crybaby Brian...

DOC Walker a great game analyst and decent radio personality, can't seem to make a point without bringing up the old days of Redskins football or the New England Patriots and how the skins are NOT the Patriots...well newsflash...their are 30 other teams in the NFL that aren't the Patriots.

Radio guys and media folks, go ahead and take the easy way out and defend your boy Bri-Bri, like you did lavar when he was dead wrong and like you did with the disgruntled kicker who shall not be named...any chance to bash the guys that are now wearing the hometeam colors...

Doc you are a great analyst, but your loyalties are questionable. Mitchell you are a poor analyst, and you are loyal to nonsense and glory days gone by, and your fake bravado is wearing thin...and the two fatguys...please someone open up a Krispy Kreme, so these two can have something to do and put a real analyst on full time - Kevin Sheehan (sp), does a decent job, give him a shot to carry a show solo.

HELP WANTED, PLEASE! Whoever owns the 980 station give us a choice of radio programs, we are held hostage in this area between awful music and music stations and awful one-side sports coverage. These guys suck, they are extremists, extremely against the team or extremely with the team (when they win). How about some blance or better yet some actual analysis, with less opinion. But since we have no choice in this area, they are all we have, until Portis beats Mitchell down and he gets fired from yet another Radio show...

You know there's trouble when Koken is the calm voice of reason. But as a former Carroll Lion and Georgetown Hoya grad, I love John Thompson and he is absolutely untouchable.

Posted by: Help Wanted | September 16, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | September 16, 2008 5:09 PM

LMAO!!!

Posted by: Andy Pollin's Mgr. | September 16, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Yea I agree with the person that said espn 980 sucks! I hate how those two idiots Czaben and the other)replaced the great John Riggins show!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

You "homers" are sick. B-mitch calls it squarely and farely, skins fans don't want to hear the truth. You want pomp but no circumstance. Portis is a good back, but you guys rely too much on stats. This area is too ultra-conservative and it shows in your sport teams. You're starting to sound and look like Met fan, and you're better than that. September 28th can't get here fast enough. If I was a free agent, I'd never sign with this team. You dogged Brandon Lloyd, and dude is doing his thing in Chicago. It's a known league fact that the skins want choirboys and boyscouts to lead their teams. Everyone one else wants Men!

This is all.

Cowboy Fan!

Posted by: RealDeal | September 17, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Well if a Cowboy fan is on B Mitch's side...

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | September 17, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 10:56 PM

I love Riggins, but he just couldn't carry a show on his own, he's not a radio personality. He's great as a guest and more fair with critizism and giving the team credit, but not as a full time personality.

Czabe and Pollin see things more objectively and are not "Homers" like some others (like Larry Michael & Riggins when he had his own show).

Posted by: joeblazin | September 17, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who watches or listens to B Mitch regularly knows he's totally bitter towards the Redskins.

Posted by: Jason | September 17, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I don't feel B Mitch is hating on Portis, Come now, Portis is always complaining about practicing or playing in preseason games, sometimes the way CP talks he sounds like he's above the team. Portis is paid alot of money to do his job, just do it without complaints.

Posted by: TJ | September 17, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I think there is plenty of criticism to spread around.

I tend to agree with Mitch's take on Portis, I like CP as a back but he's got a primadonna streak in him that is very unpalatable.

At the same time, B-Mitch is totally a hater. He was one of my favorite Skins, but he's bitter about being shown the door at FedEx and felt pushed out by Snyder b/c his locker room presence was too big and rebellious. Not only that, but no one else I have heard on the radio responds with so much defensiveness and insecurity when his POV gets challenged. It's annoying because you want to hear some good back and forth on the radio. Unfortunately B-Mitch is one breath away from becoming an ESPN-blowhard in the vein of Sean Salisbury and Stephen A. Smith where he just shouts people down who disagree - that schtick gets old after a while.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

b mitch sucks.

Posted by: dan | September 17, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

loved mitchell on the field - really tired of him on the radio though.
26 FOREVA!!!

Posted by: laxbigj | September 17, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell is a punk. After he left he SPECIFICALLY joined the Eagles so he could exact revenge by beating the Redskins. Benedict Mitchell should be run out of town. That, and he is a talentless hack sportscaster. Traitor now profiteering on his old skins job. What a loser.

Posted by: Zap | September 17, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Mitchell was critical of Portis and is still broadcasting on 980? How can Snyder let that continue?

Posted by: Skins fans in WV | September 17, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

fellas im a skins fan so is B Mitch lets not forget he has more pride than us fans he won a Superbowl with the team and now looks at what he sees from an objective stand point. He is the ONLY one to go on record and call the team out when they need to be called out, and give them credit when credit is due. In my opinion we need someone like him to coach the team instead of a soft character guy who doesnt know what hes saying to the media, but this is Danny Boy's ship so thats not gonna ever happen! LETS KEEP ON KEEPING IT REAL keep on B MITCH

Posted by: bill | September 17, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Last year Mitchell was irate about a fan questioning his bitterness towards his former team (Skins) B Mitch says he tells the truth and if you don't like it tough. Being critical is good I think Doc Walker is critical without being personal. B Mitch, fans have the right to question your motives based on how much you go against the Redskins in your comments. Tone it down get some balance or these fans you feel have no football sence and think your so called truth telling is not appreciated will have you working high school games in Fairfax. Keep your job by understanding the fans and the players only matter. One last comment on the cowboy fan "Win a playoff game loser".

Posted by: gerald | September 17, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"gerald": Use a direct-address comma, loser.

Posted by: Naf Salad | September 17, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Stepping to means wanting to fight you, so if you're stepping to somebody you'll get in his face so you can fight the other person.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to side with Portis. I've never liked Brian Mitchell as an analyst. He is always looking for the negative and thinks too highly of himself.

He was a great punt returner and an average REAL player. He should criticize someone more on his level like say Antwan Randle El... who is an average punt returner and a good player.

Maybe he can "step to" Durant Brooks and have a conversation, but if I were Portis I wouldn't pay him any mind.

I Love The John Thompson Show... long time listener... first time commenter.

Posted by: Dave | September 17, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Thats what I'm talking about. Heat it up!

Posted by: KRule | September 18, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I am not sure if the Redskins have any affiliation with Mitchell anymore, but they may want to look into the fact that one of their ex players wants to "step to" their franchise, $15M/yr stud running back. If Mitchell was suddenly doing play-by-play radio announcing somewhere in the middle of Iowa, we all might be better off. Except people in Iowa. I would rather Mitchell kept it "less real" in his asinine analysis- tell us the good things about our team. Focus on the positives. Otherwise, go be a play-by-play guy for the Cowboys or something. Leave CP alone- he is our franchise.

Posted by: EK | September 18, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

They should both put on white t-shirts, be sprayed with water and then fight like women... freakin pansies!

Posted by: King Daddy | September 18, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

CP is a prima donna and should have been checked. I am not a Redskin Fan but listen to both Doc and B. Mitch and they both can be critical and exhibit over the top praise to the team and its personnel. If the Skins lose, they both talk as if they are the worse team in the NFL and if they win, they are Super Bowl bound and every player is a Pro Bowler. It is because of this I have never been a fan of the team because all of their fans feel the same way. The only level headed people on 980 are Andy and Steve because they at least can be causiously optimistic about the team without claiming the title after every win. Doc's implying that his co-host was a Pedofile during the Olympics was the last straw for his show for me. That was uncalled for and not good radio. He needs to grow up just like CP.

Posted by: VA born and raised | September 19, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

from B-Mitch to gettin' B-itch'd how it feel, cuz you just got stoled on.

Posted by: leave the h8erade alone | September 20, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse