Redskins License Plates Get More Creative

The slightly profane Redskins-themed Virginia license plates shown in this space last week were creative, but, apparently, hardly unique. Apparently, a whole generation of Redskins fans grew up watching some R-rated version of Bumper Stumpers, and has responded accordingly.

Please continue to send images of your Redskins-themed license plates to this address.

And we start as we finished last week: seeing how many NFL-themed phrases can be improved via use of the letter F. Here, "Romo" and "Danny" are joined by "Phily." This one's from Charles McCormick.

And in truth, the letter F isn't necessary when discussing the Eagles. Not at all. Witness the plate of Travis Rechenbach, whose feelings about Philadelphia have made him a road-side attraction.

"I get tons of laughs when I drive by people with this," he wrote me. "It's almost like I'm a celebrity on the road because of all the flash bulbs when I'm driving. People pull up behind me and snap shots of this all the time."

(Eagles fans, it should be noted, have figured out ways to use the Redskins license plate against greater D.C.; for more, read last year's item on the Player Hater's Ball.)

Then there are the political statements, like this one, below, from Len Pasquarelli Shira Goodfellow.. The problem is, events can overtake such political statements, as in this case. So now? Regrets?

"Had we only know within six months of getting the plate, Monk would be voted in....we would have gotten it YEARS ago," Shira wrote to me.

Luckily, Shira has friends in outdated political campaigning, including Peter King Jason Long.

"I originally had your basic Redskins plate randomly generated by Virginia's DMV," he wrote me, "but then I saw Shira's plate, and it convinced me to change mine (that, and I was sick of people asking me 'What's 1355RD mean?'). As Shira said, had we known what powers our license plates had, we would have done this years ago."

From political passion to emotional attachment, as in this one from Nikki Hill. "Remembering my favorite player, Sean Taylor," she wrote me.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 29, 2008; 11:06 AM ET
Categories:  NFL , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Smoot Thought He Was Batman
Next: Khary Campbell Had a Baby (Before Kickoff!)

Comments

Art Monk thinks this is all a little too flashy.

Posted by: StetSports.com | September 29, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Anyone notice how all of these clowns are from VA?

Posted by: tmc | September 29, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Probably because VA vanity tags are extremely cheap. Only $35 a year. VA also borders DC. But other than that you are brilliant TMC. Keep it up!

Posted by: Capt Obvious | September 29, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

tmc wrote:
Anyone notice how all of these clowns are from VA?

That's because Maryland won't allow things like EGLSUK on their plates. A friend tried to get "GOHOOS" (for UVA) on his plate and they rejected it for being too much like hooters (as in boobs).

Posted by: Cheez | September 29, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

thats because Maryland sucks

Posted by: VA is for lovers | September 29, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Cheez - that was my admittedly poorly stated point. MD and DC must actually screen what people write on vanity plates. Because as a MD native and current DC resident I can attest to the fact that 'skins fans from these jurisdictions are no less obscence and offensive then our VA bretheren. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong with some photos or someone else will be back to call me an idiot again, who knows ...

Posted by: tmc | September 29, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Saw a few that said such horrendous things as LOSERS, and SUCKS.

These are actual plates that sport the redskins logo on them (from VA), obviously purchased prior to the Skins current WINNING SEASON!

I wonder if they will change their plates now.

TMC - isn't it illegal to post a person's DL - as they can be traced by people who have access to Motor Vehicle records?

Posted by: AmandaGirl | September 29, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm still thinking of a cute abbreviation for "Eagles fans are scum of the earth wifebeaters"

Posted by: Kev | September 29, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Go skins fans!
PS
Moss Man = Cowboy Killer!!

Posted by: ivg | September 29, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't discount the $35 point from Capt. Obvious either. You don't do a creative plate unless they can figure out that you're talking about the Skins. As I moved from MD to VA (for school and job purposes) I was astonished as the sheer number of specialized license plates. They are cheap.

Posted by: Andy | September 29, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

License plates recently seen at the DTC tailgate:

FSOAP