Redskins Post-Game Quotes

I spent just a minute or two in the Redskins locker room, since I had to write a Giants sidebar for the newspaper, but here are some of the Redskins quotes that were passed around by the Giants and Redskins PR staffs. Note especially the massive difference in tone from the head coach: no more "fighting our guts out," no more "I'm so proud of these guys," no more "everything out there was my fault."

Santana Moss:
"I mean, we just sputtered a lot....Sputter here, sputter there. Our drive at the second quarter was started by the special teams getting us good field position."

Jim Zorn: "We sputtered from the first play. We sputtered around for too many minutes and too many plays for the first half....I think there were errors, even on the first play. W'ere going to see that the play could have been successful with protection, with route running. We failed to come off the receiver and got really stuck on the receiver that was in the first part of the read.

"I'm trying to tell it how it is. We failed at that particular play and then we got stuck and got sacked....But after that it was really frustrating....After we got going I felt like we could move the ball. Unfortunately, the thing that got us was not converting those third downs. We did have several opportunities to convert and we ended up in fourth and inches on several drives and we had to punt. That's what we had to do."

Jim Zorn: "My first game was very frustrating. I feel like we've learned where we need to improve tonight. If anything is positive out of it, it's got to be that. We're going to see on video where we can improve. We saw where we're at offensively, and I think if I was trying to look at the cup half full, that would be it. I don't know if the cup has any water in it right now, for me."

Jason Taylor: "No, I am not 100 percent, but I have played this game for 12 years and you are never really 100 percent. I get up out of bed in January and March and I am not 100 percent. The knee -- it is what it is. I got hurt and I am trying to battle through it and give this team what I can."

Jim Zorn: "In the running game I thought we were strong. Clinton ran hard and we got some good things going there, and yetwe can't run every down in a ball game. We've got to be able to throw the ball, we've got to be able to protect, and those are the things we need to improve on."

London Fletcher: "As far as energy goes, I don't think that was an issue. I think it was more so how we hurt ourselves. I'm just speaking defensively, because I can't speak about the offense. From a defensive standpoint, there were a lot of opportunities for us in the first half to make plays on third downs, and we did not. Even in the second half, we missed some turnover opportunities."

Jason Taylor: "There are a lot of good things that we did. There are a lot of things that we did poorly and need to correct, particularly on third down. That starts up front with us."

Santana Moss, on the fourth-quarter drives: "We were trying to run the two-minute. I mean, there was a penalty here, a missed opportunity there, a negative run here....And when that stuff happens you can't really run what you want to run. That's basically where we stood. You saw it, we saw it, and now we've got to fix it."

Anthony Montgomery: "It wasn't about us being too tired or being out there for too long, we just didn't make the plays that we needed to."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 5, 2008; 12:36 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Prediction Battle of the Network Stars
Next: Media Responses to the Skins Loss

Comments

Mr. Steinberg,

You cannot use these quotes. "Real" reporting is not your primary business.

Posted by: Danny Boy | September 5, 2008 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Ok here my take on my new Washington Redskins.Feels like a almost good season is about to happen. Almost isn't good enough anymore! Its time for these young players to really put some passion into the game! Stay out of the clubs and v.i.p rooms and start putting up some wins.Im not fallen for the self-pitty coments after the game to smooth everything over enough is enough win some games or let the cheerleaders play!!! Oh just to let people Know at the eary part of the seasons, Jason is not the quarterback for us! I know the is a lot of money invested in him but please don't wait until its to late, then you bring in Collins who will then have to try to hard, and look bad at doing it!PUT TOOD IN THE GAME DUH! The team will look a whole lot better instantly,just like they did last year duh!duh! Get the big reciever rookies out there, put Moss in the slot,PUT SOME FREAKING BIG BODIES OUT THERE TO GO UP AND GET THE BALL, THE LEAGUE REQUIRES BIG RECIEAVERS duH,DUD,DUH!!!!!!!!!! You picked them up in the 1st round why? To put them in the game!!Ok, I'm calm now.Redskins get better please win a SuperBowl before I die, Thank you you number 1 fan.

Posted by: Jeremy Smith | September 5, 2008 6:02 AM | Report abuse

It's beginning to look a lot like 5-11, everywhere you go...

Posted by: StetSports.com | September 5, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Call me crazy, but it would sure help Campbell a hell of a lot, if had a receiver taller than 6 foot, who could catch a 7-8 yard slant. Seems to work so well for Plaxico and Eli

Posted by: Rashad | September 5, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins aren't going to do anything of much interest this year. They might be good next year, if Snyder can see that long into the future without firing anyone.

Posted by: Lindemann | September 5, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

LaRon Landry:
"Where did that truck come from?"

Posted by: Nathan | September 5, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

landry: please lower yourself and wrap your arms around jacobs......

once again, you are not shawn taylor.

Posted by: mike bx | September 5, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

thats wrap your arms around jacobs legs....

Posted by: mike bx | September 5, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry. Why couldn't Thrash catch the TD pass at the end of the game? It wasn't tipped. It was thrown right to him. WTF!!

Posted by: blinded by the bobble | September 5, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

One thing to remember is Coach Gibbs went 0-5 his first crack at head coach. I am still a Zorn believer.
I'm a little frustrated with Campbells inability to scan the field quickly. Either he's taking to long to make his reads, or he is locking in on one receiver. If he continues to fail to find the open receiver, Zorn should bench him. He throws a beautiful long ball, but the short stuff is killing him. Teams will continue to blitz the Skins until they prove they can get the ball out quickly. Colt is probably the best QB for that on this team.
I lost count of the blown blocking assignments. (Certainly Cooleys worst outing I've witnessed). Expect more blitzing until they get this fixed.
Have to give the Giants some credit though. Jacobs running over our safeties is real highlight reel stuff. Put a 44 jersey on him and see who he reminds you of. Shame our safeties were put in the position of making those tackles. Aren't there 9 bigger teammates getting paid to stop that stuff up front? Offensive coordinators ask for this stuff for Christmas.
Overall the defense played well, keeping the score low while the offense....Their inability to counter the blitz will make or break this season.

Posted by: Krooz | September 5, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

While I have no faith that the Skins will be better than a 7-9 team this year, I love the weekly histrionics of all NFL fans. Win a game, and you're going to the superbowl. Lose a game, and you're destined to lose the rest of the games.

I could talk myself into some positives if I want to. If you want to hear the apologist Skins fan viewpoint, EB from the Junkies is always there for ya'.

Gotta wonder a little about the Giants too, couldn't get the ball in the endzone, 3 FGs... No clue why they turned the page on Jacobs stuffing it down our throats, that was moronic to change.

@Bobble, that ball was clearly and obviously tipped.

Posted by: ckstevenson | September 5, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow, remember when the Washington NFL franchise was 2-0 in preseason? (Yeah, preseason.) Ah, the memories.

Posted by: Naf Salad | September 5, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Krooz had part of the story right by mentioning the fact Gibbs started out 0-5 and then turned it around. You have to allow Zorn time to build this team around his system. Im not giving up on this year with 1 loss either. Dont forget those Superbowl Giants who beat us last night started their season last year 0-2. I am discouraged by Jason Campbell and his issues finding receivers. I know he hasnt had an offensive system for any legnth of time but Im starting to think he might not have what it takes to be a great, consistent quarterback. I hope im wrong.

Posted by: Dane Vartabedian | September 5, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm really getting tired of people making excuses for Campbell - Especially Campbell. He's supposed to be a pro - - he's getting PAID to be a pro. He's "tensing", he's "waiting too long", he's "locking-on", he's "delaying". BULL - - - He's "CHOKING". He's been around long enough now to have overcome the rookie tendencies. If he can't cut it - - bench him. Perhaps a little time on the sidelines will get his attention. If it doesn't then scrap him. Funny how last season the O-Line didn't adequately protect Campbell. Collins went in and suddenly the O-Line looked "All Pro".

I can only wonder what Coach Zorn REALLY thinks about his starting (staring to do what??) QB.

BLACKJACK-21 Leesburg, VA

Posted by: BLACKJACK | September 5, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Perfect descriptor from both Moss and Zorn ... sputtery.

Posted by: dcsween | September 5, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

What a joke of a professional team.... JC is not an NFL QB. OLine averages 100 years old and the DLine looks like a bunch of linebackers in a 3 point stance. It was like watching a JV team playing a Varsity team.. Danny-boy and his disco buddy Vinny have royally screwed this team up. I bet Greg Williams is smiling this morning.... Lastly, Gibbs is just to blame for the mess as Vinny. Gibbs is the one that called the shots the last three years... hall of shamer....

Posted by: fedup | September 5, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Everyone off the bandwagon like always? See you all during the playoff push at the end of the season. Bus isn't picking up you haters. Die hards only!

Posted by: Hater | September 5, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to think we could turn everything around very soon. The reality is our ownership filled the coaching staff (for the most part) with rookie and/or unproven guys. Another week or 2 like yesterday and good luck getting the players to buy in to their plan. If we struggle against NO, its gonna be a long season!
P.S. The media coverage of this team sucks and magnafies this teams every move to a point it is destructive. Good work guys.

Posted by: Tony Piccinini | September 5, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hater | September 5, 2008 4:11 PM

=====

shut up.

Posted by: guy incognito | September 7, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I've been a diehard Skin's fan for over 40 years; w/o a doubt I can say JC isn't the QB we need to win right now! Todd Collins' pro experience and ability to articulate X's and O's is in the stratosphere compared to JC (a very likely, but clearly unconfident QB)...if Brett's experience is still being put to use in NYJ, I believe the most educated/diehard Skin's fans would prefer to watch TC at QB, so JC can learn from a proven "winner" and pro ready to play w/confidence when given a real shot...team managerial politics aside, we've got the talent and the Skins' play better and more inspired overall w/TC at the helm!!!

Posted by: LMJ-Skins4Life | September 8, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse