Skins Fans Want Dallas

When Barry Svrluga and I wandered onto FedEx Field's playing surface on Sunday, past the cheerleader with her arm in a sling (injury report?) and past the two guys repping Chris Horton (see above), we heard fans in the end zone chanting something as the final seconds ticked away. "We Want Doughty," we initially thought they were saying, but then realized that, duh, it was "We Want Dallas! We Want Dallas!" Over and over and over. (See below.)

It continued for a good long while, and it was impossible to miss. The chant made the lede of a Redskins.com story, and also the Washington Post A1 story:

As the day grew late and victory had been assured, a clamor rose in the stands behind FedEx Field's northwest end zone yesterday afternoon. It started small, buried in the throats of the heartiest few, the truest of believers and then slowly wafted into the afternoon sky.

" We want Dallas! We want Dallas! We want Dallas! " It bounced from seat to seat, row to row, until it had blossomed into a minor roar.

Now, this is clearly nothing new. If this brief-but-classic clip of stomping RFK fans yelling "We Want Dallas!" doesn't make you nostalgic for football on East Capitol Street, you've spent too much time drinking Crown Royal on Arena Drive.

But still, all this Dallas chanting makes me think of something Clinton Portis said to John Thompson last week: "There's a man on your show who can't keep my name out of his mouth."

See, if you Google Redskins and "We Want Dallas," you get more than 2,000 returns. If you Google Cowboys and "We Want Washington," you get 60, and none are about fans chanting. The top return for a "Dallas Week" search is that Washington Post story about the Cowboys, although you also come up with stories about Eagles fans looking forward to Dallas Week. The top return for "Washington Week?" A link to Gwen Ifill's Web site.

I still enjoy scenes like the one below, of Washington fans streaming out of FedEx Field last week while chanting that "We Want Dallas" refrain. And the Skins are the NFL's biggest underdogs this week, 11.5 points worth, so the enthusiasm is understandable. Still, for public perception purposes if nothing else, you never want to find yourself occupying the only side of a rivalry.

(To draw an analogy, imagine you're a high-ranking business executive and you feel like a certain local news gatherer is picking on you. The absolute worst thing you can do is spend every moment of the day talking about him, letting the world know just how obsessed you are with this one particular person, while he maintains a cool and detached silence. Right? Ah, forget it.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 23, 2008; 1:29 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Larry Michael Sides With Vinny Cerrato
Next: Brian Mitchell Reacts to the Reaction

Comments

Washington's too hard to say. No chant wants that many syllables.

Posted by: Giannicolus Jones | September 23, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys fans would chant if they actually, you know, knew anything about the team they "rooted" for. With front-running, fair-weathered clueless shmoes like 'Girls fans, I'd be impressed if they even knew the Washington Redskins, New York Giants, and/or Eagles existed.

Posted by: Ben | September 23, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this will help a bit:
"""
T.O Was on a radio show in Jersey today and said that he felt he played a Big role in last nights win. He said he knew he wouldn't get many looks because of being triple teamed and tried to be effective in other ways. He wanted to be there to block and lead the way for his teammates to score. He said he is so proud of Miles and it has been an honor for him to watch him grow into the receiver he was last night.
He also said as proud as he was of Miles next week he plans on duplicating last years Redskin game. He said he will be disappointed with 3 TD's... He said he is going to train all week even by himself and with the team and that double and triple coverage will not stop him. He said that Jason has some wrinkles that will help T.O shed those extra defenders if Washington takes the same approach GreeBay did.
The jocky asked him what he thought of washington's secondary and he yelled out "I WANT SPRINGS!"
Oh yea and they asked him if he was upset last night and T.O said yea of course I was upset! Upset with my self. I knew I wouldn't have many chances and the ones I did get I felt like I blew them. I apologized to Tony and the team and told them I would make up for it next week.
"""

Posted by: BluCollar Redskin | September 23, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Dan I didn't pick up on the analogy, do you have any links I can follow to get a better understanding?

I mean, if I were a high ranking business executive I'd probably just buy a radio station and put other high ranking executives on the airwaves in an attempt to drown out differing opinions. Then I might also have my employees go on the air and call for fans to get the reporter fired... but that's just me.

Posted by: Mustachio | September 23, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Of course we know those teams exist, Ben--we've beaten them numerous times en route to our five Super Bowl wins. Wow, aren't you even paying attention? Or are you another Washington-area fan who waits to puff out their chest during the preseason, proclaiming your beloved Washington NFL franchise to be "Super Bowl-bound"? C'mon.

Posted by: D-Fan | September 23, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Putting your hand on the opposite shoulder of your buddy while taking a pic?

Very gay.

Posted by: Gravypan | September 23, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

We witnessed the cheerleader get hurt. It was around the end of the first quarter. They were doing their little dance thing when all of a sudden this particular Little Lovely came off the field clutching her shoulder in very obvious pain. I offered to go to the field to console her, but my wife wasn't to "keen" on the idea ... OH WELL ... Do the cheerleaders have a injured reserve!?

Posted by: Monkman63 | September 23, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Who says chivalry's dead? Monkman63, you are a true gentleman to offer to help the scantily clad hottie--I mean Washington NFL franchise employee. You are to be commended.

Posted by: Arlington Pimp | September 23, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

D-Fan:

As a literate Cowboys fan with a computer and internet access, you're in the top 5% of Cowboys fans knowledge-wise already.

And for the record, pre-season sentiment in the 'Skins fan base has been pessimistic the last several years. If there's anyone doing unwarranted chest-thumping, it's the Cowboys fair-weather losers coming out of the woodwork just when its QB is becoming tabloid fodder. God I can't wait until Sunday. A RECKONING IS COMING!

Posted by: Ben | September 23, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I just love how confident all you skins fans are , sounds just like Green Bay Fans last week. Then Dallas brought them to reality.
I hope you don't give up on the Skins season after the game is over. Especially considering your only the 4th best team in the division out of 4 teams.
After Dallas is through beating you up, Philly will be inline to do the same thing. Then you will be 2 and 3 , and the season will be over again.
Its going to get real ugly !
Thats Ok ! you still have the Nationals !

Posted by: Phillip | September 24, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Ben, why do you keep calling us fair-weather, skins fans are in the dictionary under the meaning fickle. Sorry for using that word it means the same as fair-weather, you probably couldnt read it with that pig nose on! I remember when Marty was your coach my friend took me to a game and Fedex field was half empty when they played the chiefs, what is that?? You just beat two mediocre teams that never won anything and are used to losing at home, why are you so pumped to play a better divisional team on the road. Two weeks ago you clowns wanted to start a rookie QB and bench cambell, now after a few check down passes your ready to take on the whole NFL. Really, who is the ignorant NFL fan here!!! Skins fans win one or 2 home games against bad teams and they are planning a trip to a superbowl. We (the rest of the league) are laughing at you!!!

Posted by: Joe Gibbs | September 24, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Great banter between the lovable losers in Washington and the greatest team September has ever seen. Two thoughts for you all:
1). Show up and win in the playoffs when it counts and you too can win a championship like the Super Bowl Champion NY Giants.
2). Giants fans will be pulling for a Redskins win and a bloodbath. I'd prefer Tony Romo leaving on a stretcher so let's make that happen

Posted by: NY in DC | September 24, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Dallas is going to mutilate the Redskins. This won't even be funny. Actually, yeah it will be.

Posted by: thelandryhat.com | September 25, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse