Standing Up For Skins Tix

If you've listened to (corporate-plug) ESPN980 today, you likely heard about the (corporate plug) Bank of America promotion at Union Station, featuring diehard fans of the (corporate plug) Washington Redskins standing up for 24 hours with their hands resting on a giant (corporate plug) Bank of America jersey for the right to win two season tickets to the (corporate plug) Washington Redskins. It's kind of like those dance marathons from the '30s, except there's with less Depression, more corporate sponsorship and lots of bottled water.

The basic rules: No sitting down, no taking your hand off the giant jersey from noon today until noon tomorrow. You get 10-minute breaks every five hours. You can make one 30-second phone call. Some (corporate plug) Bank of America employees might bring you occasional bagels and cookies.

Brian Kimmer's standing-up footwear.

One of the competitors brought pistachios. Another got a (corporate plug) Auntie Annie pretzel during his first break. A third thinks this might help her quit smoking. A fourth thinks his wife will bring food.

"No food," said the fifth competitor, 42-year old Brian Kimmer of Burke, the senior member of this quintet. "You've got to stay strong. If you eat food, you're gonna have to go to the bathroom. If you drink, you're gonna have to go to the bathroom."

"I think I'll eat cheese," said 27-year old Daniel Bowers of Rockvilile. "Get constipated."

Just before their first break, I asked how they felt. They all claimed they felt great.

"Does it make it a better story if we're tired?" asked 28-year old Eric Kempton of Millersville. "Because I'm miserable. My feet hurt."

Eric Kempton spends his break on the ground.

"My feet hurt too, I'm not gonna lie," 26-year old Ryan Henry of the District said.

"Palms are sweaty, legs are a little achy," 25-year old Kristen Reamy of Alexandria said.

But whatever. There's still 19 hours to go, and things will probably get worse at, say, 4 a.m., when they run out of the "how many Redskins games have you been to" and "what's the best Redskins game you've seen" topics of conversation.

"Very quiet," Kimmer said, when I asked what they expected it would be like in the middle of the night.

"Smelly, because no one would have showered," Bowers said.

"Delirious," Henry said.

"I'm sure my feet will hurt even more," Kempton said.

"But I'm sure the city life will keep us awake," Reamy predicted.

"Watch out for the homeless people and the pigeons," Bowers recommended.

"I need you here to hate," Reamy shouted out to a Cowboys fan friend of hers. "I feed off the hate."

When I left, around 5:30, the supervisors and the nutcases were discussing exactly what they'd do for exactly how much money. Assuming these ticket packages are worth a couple thousand dollars, I guess it's worth standing up for 24 hours, except for this catch: If more than one of these nutcases last 24 hours, the season tickets will be awarded to the winner of a trivia contest.

Regardless, all five thoroughly plan on being here for the duration. So if you're in the Union Station neighborhood around dawn and you feel like looking at weird people standing up for 24 consecutive hours to win Redskins tickets, they'll be here.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 10, 2008; 5:35 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Boudreau's (D.C.) Acting Debut
Next: Morning Look: Caron Butler's a Fashion Model

Comments

Classy, Alec.

The obvious strategy in these contests is to immediately start singing a horribly cheesy song the moment the contest starts (Eye of the Tiger comes to mind, but I'm sure there are better options), and continue singing that song over and over and over until you drive all the other contestants crazy.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Are these people morons? You can buy tix in the parking lot for $10. Skins tickets are the biggest joke in town nowadays. Thanks, Danny.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | September 10, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Wachovia reigns supreme over Bank of America.

- M. Cheeks

Posted by: StetSports.com | September 10, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Horrible censorship.
At least I don't post anonymously.

To paraphrase: It's easier to stand for extended periods of time when you have a healthy balanced diet, and exercise regularly... I hate how PC this country has become.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 10, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

a little less Depression maybe.

Posted by: stumped | September 10, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm out of town. Can someone show up at Union Sattion and give these guys / girl some munchies today?

Posted by: Rocky | September 11, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Standing up for an extended period of time for tickets to see paint dry (see Skins anemic offense)? What a deal!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

24 hours of torture all to win... 8 games of torture.

Posted by: Kev | September 11, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Is there no limit to the number of idiots willing to make money for this owner?

Posted by: Foolishmortal | September 11, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Well, it certainly wasn't 24 hours. I saw Steinberg and these 'fans' around 5:30 last night as I went to catch my train. Arriving this morning at 8:30, there was no sign that anything had even been happening. No giant BOA sign. No standing 'fans'. And definitely no Steinberg. Update please!!

Posted by: Shawn | September 11, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

This contest was extremely hard fought.

Posted by: Joe | September 11, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

If Zorn was managing the clock, time would have run out at about 2:00 a.m.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | September 11, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I was one of the contestants and it was a blast. We (the contestants) all like the Redskins and stand by them no matter what. Yes, there were many other routes we could have taken to get tickets, but in the end it was about showing our support for the team. We stood there for 19 hours (finished about 7am Thursday morning) before deciding that we should all go to as many of the games as possible. All five of us came together and decided to split the winnings.

Posted by: Eric | September 11, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I completely agree with Eric. It is easy to look at this on its surface as a stupid contest, but throughout it all, the people I competed against were deserving just as much as I was of the tickets. In the end, it wasn't about winning or losing as we were ALL winners already, but it was about people from all different places, coming together, helping each other and even pushing each other certainly to our limits. Although, the prize were the tickets, the real prize was being around the other 4 competitors!

Posted by: Ryan | September 11, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

*waving* Hi Ryan and Eric!! Ditto! We are all winners and truly showed what being a Skins fan is all about - coming together in times of need! :) Thanks for standing there and looking stupid with me! Couldn't have had any better company! HTTR!

Posted by: Kristen | September 12, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse