This Week's Top 10 WaPo Sports Stories: RDSKND
When I started this feature about eight weeks ago, I knew the Skins would dominate our weekly compilation of most-read WaPo sports stories and columns, but I didn't imagine it would be to this extent.
The latest ignominy? A new WaPo link to the Redskins roster--the roster!!!!!!!--got more hits last week than any WaPo story about the Nats, the Orioles, D.C. United, the Terps, the Hokies, the Cavaliers, the Mystics or any other local or national team. (With just one exception: a feature about Howard's Ray Ray McElrathbey.) In fact, that roster received virtually the same amount of clicks as Michael Wilbon's column about Rafael Nadal, which received about 13 percent as much traffic as Wilbon's column on the Skins. I'll let you figure out which cost more: putting up a roster or paying Wilbon's salary.
in total, fifteen of our top 17 sports links last week were Redskins-based, and that was before their season even started. (The numbers are from Friday through Thursday.) From now on, I'm not blogging: I'm just printing Redskins player names and weights and letting the hits roll in.
Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Etc., until January, at the earliest. Current totals.
Most read topics:
1. Redskins (52 top-10 links)
2. Olympics (17)
3. Other NFL (3)
Most read authors:
1. Jason Reid (21 top-ten bylines)
2. Mike Wise (13)
3. Jason La Canfora (11)
4. Barry Svrluga (5.5)
(Joint bylines are given 0.5 credits.)
Anyhow, here's last week's list:
1. Still at a Loss, by Michael Wilbon. Redskins column about the final preseason game, a blowout loss to Jacksonville, which Wilbon says might be a sign of real problems.
2. Meet the New Boss, by Jason Reid and Jason La Canfora. Redskins analysis about the first season of the Vinny Cerrato Era, with a recap of Cerrato's history inside and outside the organization.
3. They're Still Catching Up, by Jason Reid. Redskins feature on the slow starts to the NFL careers of rookie wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly.
4. Left Chilled By Draft, by Mike Wise. Redskins column on the decision to cut Derrick Frost in favor of rookie punter Durant Brooks, which Wise says could be a referendum on Vinny Cerrato's personnel performance.
5. Jansen Bumped to Second String, by Jason La Canfora. Redskins news story, on second-year Maryland product Stephon Heyer supplanting veteran Jon Jansen as the Redskins' starting right tackle.
6. Jansen Could Be Demoted, by Jason Reid. Redskins news story on the possibility, soon to be realized, of second-year Maryland product Stephon Heyer supplanting veteran Jon Jansen as the Redskins' starting right tackle.
7. Redskins' Frost Doesn't Go Quietly, by Jason Reid and Jason La Canfora. Redskins news story on all 10 draft picks making the 53-man roster, with released punter Derrick Frost hinting that draft success was more important than sound personnel decision-making.
8. Springs Is 'Glue of This Defense,' by Paul Tenorio. Redskins feature on Shawn Springs being a shutdown corner, team leader and role model. Bad timing.
9. Final Rehearsal, Flat Performance, by Jason Reid. Redskins gamer on the final preseason loss, a 24-3 decision against the Jaguars.
10. Just Remember: One Game Does Not a Coach Make, by Mike Wise. Game-day Redskins column arguing that, no matter what happens in the season opener or in this season, Jim Zorn deserves a dash of patience. Good timing.
Posted by: Dead Horse | September 8, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Jamie Mottram | September 8, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: StetSports.com | September 8, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Firedanny | September 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: k | September 8, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | September 8, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: odessasteps magazine | September 8, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: marksman | September 8, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Fingerman | September 8, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Fingerman | September 8, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Lindemann | September 9, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | September 10, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.