Today's Top Five: Shilling for Jeff George

Lindsay Applebaum here. You may know me as the proprietor of the now-defunct Crowd Noise. Probably not, though. Anyway, I'll be hanging out here sometimes, especially on Fridays. I'll try to not overstay my welcome, but I know I'll end up becoming that hippie on your couch who eats all your chips and watches your TV and never leaves. Sorry about that in advance.

Good things on the Internet today:

1) The Kansas City Star's Jason Whitlock has no shame. Why else would he plead with Patriots coach Bill Belichick to sign never-was Jeff George? Hmm, maybe it's a good idea. Maybe George's first eight failed attempts at being a quarterback were just a fluke! (Mister Irrelevant)

2) The Buccaneers have made it easy for the laziest and most easily-offended of "football fans" to tattle on other spectators: just text for help. "On Sundays, fans dealing with abusive spectators can text (813) 277-6501 with their problem and location, and a security or law enforcement officer will arrive," reports the St. Petersburg Times. Can I report something now? Jason Whitlock is championing Jeff George, and frankly, I'm offended. (With Leather)

I'm sure Jason Whitlock has the seven-part Jeff George version. (MyJetPackJersey.com)

3) A walk down memory lane with the Caps while you wait for hockey season (only one business day away). (On Frozen Blog)

4) Something for the lonely and confused Brett Favre fan: a "Jet Pack" jersey. (Deadspin)

5) Fred Smoot has a "blurple" 1963 drop-top Impala. And really, why wouldn't he? (The Redskins Blog)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  September 12, 2008; 2:49 PM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This Week's Oddsmakers Top 25 (30)
Next: Terps Pull Upset, Cal Pulls Upchuck

Comments

I'm sure that Whitlock's column was supposed to be satire. I don't think he's actually serious about Belichick getting Jeff George.

Posted by: Joran | September 12, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Joran, I'm fairly certain it was not satire.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | September 12, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Jeff George may have zero football IQ, and be completely immobile, but he does have a serious cannon. I also seem to recall him single-handedly carrying the Vikings into the playoffs a few years ago.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 12, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"...but I know I'll end up becoming that hippie on your couch who eats all your chips and watches your TV and never leaves. Sorry about that in advance."

Hey Lindsay, his name is Paul and he's my brother. But you can sit on the lounge chair next to the couch.

Posted by: Dan Levy | September 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh, how could it be anything but satire?

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | September 12, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

We look forward to you becoming defunct on this blog as well...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

This might be the key clue:

My coach in fourth grade, Mr. Neeley, couldn’t believe it when I brought in my own playbook two weeks into my first little-league season. I wanted to diversify our passing game and add some zone blitzing to our defense. Mr. Neeley couldn’t grasp these complexities in the mid-1970s.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | September 12, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Welcome (back) Lindsay.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | September 12, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, welcome Lindsay Applebaum to the Bog.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | September 12, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Jeff George is still alive?

Posted by: G20 FdaCowboys | September 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

It is satire. If you can't see that, try reading Whitlock a little more often. Expand your horizons, Applebaum-san.

Posted by: Shawn | September 12, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Fine, it's satire. You all win (it's not satire -- he loves Jeff George).

Thanks for the warm welcomes/welcome-backs. And Dan, can you grab some beer while you're out? Your brother and I drank all of yours.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | September 12, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back to the sporting Internets, Bonita. Don't be a stranger.

Posted by: Lindemann | September 12, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Dan, they just showed a clear shot of Jahvid Best barfing while on the ground after a hard hit in the Terps game. Sounds like just the right material for this blog.

Posted by: Jason | September 13, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse