D.C.'s Second Mike Green

Not only did Washington just gain another sporting Mike Green, and another sporting Mike Green who plays defense: the Skins' new defensive back is in the process of changing his number to 25. That would be the opposite of the Caps' 52 Mike Green.

Green, meantime, is hoping to become 25, the reverse of the Caps' Mike Green, who's 52, and of course the press asked him about this synergy.

"The equipment guy made me aware of it," the Skins Mike Green said of the Caps' Mike Green. "And I actually told him that somebody Googled me and they're like, 'You play hockey?' and I'm like, 'No, that's not me.' I've only been to one game. I'm not familiar with it."

Someone told him about the reversed numbers thing.

"What a connection," he said.

/Cue Comcast SportsyNet promo with both Mike Greens facing each other in front of a mirror.

And now the Skins make the hockey blogs.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 15, 2008; 3:57 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vegas: Redskins Still Elite
Next: Samuels and Alexander: The College Years

Comments

is this going to count as a Redskins post or a Caps post, when you add up the rankings this week?

Posted by: odessasteps | October 15, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the Capskins
Hail victory...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 15, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Hold up, there are hockey blogs?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 15, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@ Nate hahahahah I'm laughing like it's 2005

Posted by: Ben | October 15, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@ Ben, I confess, I didn't get that one. "like it's 2005"? I am slow...

Hopefully you were celebrating the dumbness of my hockey blogs joke, which is really just another dumb "gosh, hockey has really receded from the mainstream sporting consciousness, hasn't it?" Lame, I know.

Ahem.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 16, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

@Nate: you got it.

Posted by: Ben | October 16, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Gotcha, Ben.

I confess, I'm one of those hockey fans whose interest (strong from the late '80s until then) plummeted as of the lockout/lost season, and I'm still wary... though I love the Caps and look forward to seeing them sometime out west. Maybe next year in Vancouver, that would be pretty nice.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 16, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@Nate:

If these Caps can't get you excited about being a fan, there is no hope for you. On ice, it's run & gun hockey straight out of the 1980s and no other team in the NHL comes close right now. Off-ice, if you've been following this blog you should know how entertaining these kids (and Gabby) are.

In any case yeah, I'm just a little weary of the "hockey is dead" jokes, which weren't really funny to begin with, nor did they ever get funnier in 50,000 subsequent variations.

Posted by: Ben | October 16, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Sure, sure, Ben, I love these new Caps, love Ovie, love Boudreau, etc. etc. And I'm not going to apologize for bailing on the league after the lockout -- the league has been run terribly. But I love the Caps and will see them in action one of these days (not as easy on this coast as it was in DC) and hope that means there's hope for me yet, in your eyes.

I also love how this bog is a magnet for hypersensitive sports fans, especially those with inferiority complexes about their entire freakin' sports.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 16, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Ha, I can't disagree that the league has been run poorly. Combine the incompetence with a run of bad luck (crappy markets winning the Cup, good markets out of the playoffs, a large gap between superstar eras) and it's been a perfect storm for a declining sport. I also firmly believe that it became the "cool" thing to dis the NHL and most journalists/bloggers did the lazy thing and latched on to the trend - huge pet peeve.

I generally don't care if the sport is dissed as long as the Caps survived. I was worried for a while there that they wouldn't.

Posted by: Ben | October 16, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

And Ben, I'm sure as hell not trying to pick a fight -- I cast the first stone, lamely, with that dopey joke yesterday. And it elicited precisely the response I thought it would. So the joke's on me, I guess.

(Really just working on my super-secret plan to ingratiate myself with Steinz by driving up the comment count on the Bog, since his "regulars" aren't much for extended conversation, and I think that bugs him.)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 16, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Right on, Ben, agreed that it did NOT look good for the Cappies, and seemed like any number of lousy things could happen... but, by golly, here we are now, smelling more or less like roses, and dreaming of big accomplishments come springtime... which is nice after so many years wandering in the desert...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 16, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm not trying to fight, but I couldn't let the initial joke slide. I judt couldn't. Friends? OK Cool.

Ah eff it I'm bored. Let's fight. You're a stinky vagina who likes little boys. Your turn.

Posted by: Ben | October 16, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Darnit, I stepped away just when it was getting interesting.

Ah hell, I can't lie to you, I'm a lover, not a fighter. And anyone weird enough to "get" the Bog is probably okay with me. Especially a Caps fan who sounds as reasonable as you do.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse