Expanding the Redskins Rap Genre

Bog contributor Lindsay Applebaum:

Redskins-centric rap enthusiasts, meet Incwell, a rising star in a blossoming genre that includes Chris Paul and my MoCo homeboy Wale, a Mark Ronson protégé who moonlights as a Caps-centric rapper.

Anyway, here's a sampling of Incwell's lyrics from this week's song, Redskins Flag.

Yeah, I said it
Let me speak for the record
Our offense is balanced and our defense is reckless
We hustle like every play is life or death
This is the NFL
Any day you might get [something that rhymes with death]
So I [need a translator, please]
Homie, be serious
Portis on it, too fast, too furious

Complete song is here:

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  October 31, 2008; 1:44 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Discuss Matchbox Pizza, Crazy Relatives
Next: Jim Zorn on Facebook

Comments

Any day you might get slapped.
So our head's on a swivel...

This is awesome by the way. Keep the Redskins rap coverage coming.

Posted by: fsmoot27 | October 31, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

You have totally underestimated the breath of Wale's sports references. Here are some quotes for you:

"Home of the Terrapins, beware of the Gilchrist" - "Let's Ride"

"I switch the game up like Manning at the line/I roll from the dome like I'm playing for the Lions" - "Nobody"

"I cannot mess with the charges, I'm Ryan Leaf in this ish/I'm more like Eli with mine, and I don't need me no order...My name is Wale Folarin/Freeway and Mr. Carter/You are no longer giants, you are so Tiki Barber" - "Big Spender" (freestyle)

He was also the first to reference Michael Phelps, way back in 2005. Wale drops the best sports references in the rap game today. Period. End of discussion.

I'll listen to Incwell when I get home from work and YouTube isn't blocked.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | October 31, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Lindemann forgot a good Wale sports reference:

"Doin' it for the Capital/Wale, Ovechkin...More like Lindros/Flyer than the rest of them"

Posted by: gocaps2 | October 31, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I figured we had already covered that since Bonita referred to it obliquely in her prefatory remarks. But you are right that it should be highlighted again.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | October 31, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Nice one on the Wale name drop, although I doubt being aligned with MoCo would be tight for his street cred.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | October 31, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Wale has come under fire for his MD origins. Cf. "Eye No DC" and "I Will" especially.

I am a huge Wale nerd.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | October 31, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to disagree with Lindemann777, The Ambassador is pretty amazing with his sports references. Although it's not specifically local (sorry, Lindemann opened the door with Wale quotes re: Barber).

Here are some samples:
A-m-ba-ss-a-d-or
"If was a Colt you'd allow me to look to Payton"

Big Words
"...The difference between Tiki and Ronde but from a divine way..."

One-Two
"When the issue of paying for sins comes up even Giants jet
In the Garden they say, "Knicks that", in Shea they say, "We ain't met"
A blood sport with such a display of skillz
Cause even in Buffalo they know they can't pay the bills"

But as far as local sports related rap goes, I LOVED the Pro'Verb piece Dan did with the Wizards. That was awesome:

Lil' LeBron got to run to his pops;
Like "Daddy, he was making fun of The Roc."
What's next, he gonna get a Diss track from his mom;
Will Beyonce go and sing a track for LeBron?"

Posted by: trolly_time | October 31, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Man, that aint nuthin! Check out my boy Chris Louis @ http://www.redskinsheads.com/blog/52328/20321

Posted by: Redskinsheads | October 31, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse