Jim Zorn Has Guts

The man with the moxie. (By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

When you're sitting there watching Jim Zorn go for yet another fourth-quarter fourth down--this one a fourth-and-a-long-one at the Philly 38 with the two-minute warning approaching--there's only one word that enters your mind. It's not, sadly, a word that the Washington Post is fond of using in this particular context.

Some might call it guts. Some might call it intestinal fortitude. Some might call it Chutzpah. I figured I should ask the players what THEY call it, figuring they know the euphemisms better than I would.

"Oh man, coach showed he had a big [rack of shawls] right there," Fred Smoot said, although the phrase actually rhymed with [rack of shawls]. In other words, so much for that theory. I asked a few more players to describe Zorn's moxie, and, like me, they struggled to find the properly appropriate word.

"For print you want me to tell you, or you want me to tell you my honest feeling?" Casey Rabach asked. I asked for his honest feeling. "[Palsy]," he said, although the word he used actually rhymed with [palsy].

"Dude, that was a [fall's-doubt] move," Chris Cooley said, although the phrase he used actually rhymed with [fall's-route].

Can't anyone talk about that call without going below the belt? Well, sure. And the players, overwhelmingly, liked the call. Obviously it's easy to like a call when it succeeds, but they also liked the swagger that decision displayed.

"I think it was the right move," Cooley said. "I think a lot of guys don't [go for it there], but I think obviously with what we've seen with Z-Man, I think you gotta know he's going for it there."

"It was great, a great call," Carlos Rogers said. "That's the play of the game. Why not? We had momentum. And it worked."

"Clinton called that play, he wanted that play so bad," Rabach said. "He asked [Zorn] to give it to him and it's the same play we scored that four-yard touchdown on. He had faith in us, we had faith in him and he ran his [behind] off."

"Big play, big play," Demetric Evans said. "Zorn is a guy that's got everything rolling, so you know, why not? That was a perfect opportunity to take that shot, and for us it worked out. That was a heck of a call....We had the momentum, they didn't have any more time-outs, and being an aggressive coach like Zorn is, you have to make those calls when you're playing to win."

"I'm glad he gets paid to make the decisions," Kedric Golston said. "It was a great call, for him to have the faith in the offense to get those yards, and it was great execution."

"It just shows a lot about our coach," Chris Samuels said. "He believes in us, and he's a gutsy guy, and we like that,"

I told Samuels what Smoot had said, and he laughed. Apparently Smoot had already tried out the "big [rack of shawls]" line in the locker room, more than once.

"You know what, I didn't want to say that," Samuels said, "but Fred did say that and I thought it was so funny. In the locker room, he said [Zorn] had....man, I ain't gonna say that."

Finally, someone has a little respect for the language. But it all does bring to mind Les Miles, who was depicted in this famous X-ray, which might be in poor taste but does get the point across.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 6, 2008; 10:53 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Watch Daniel Snyder's Excitement
Next: About Those Philly Fan Egging the Team Bus

Comments

Enjoy it while it lasts you dummies. The Giants will bring these pretenders back to earth.

Posted by: Yuri Lipitzmeov | October 6, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Saw some Skins at Current in Dupont at around 12:30 last night. Saw at least two Bentley's, a Rolls and a Green Lamborghini double parked on Connecticut Avenue. I'm pretty sure the Lambo was Carlos Rogers' (license plate: LILDIRTY22). They even had a police car directing traffic *around* the double-parked cars. Even DC police pull out the red carpet for a winning Redskins team!

Posted by: Kyle | October 6, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley doesn't need to be talking about [fall's-out] in regards to anything.

Posted by: Chris in SS | October 6, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I believe "Showin' Cooley Who's Boss" is appropriate here...

Posted by: Rob Iola | October 6, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Kyle- doesn't Landry drive a green Lambo? Thought I read that somewhere (likely here).

Anyway, gotta love the giants fan in the first post. The Giants did indeed already beat the Skins. I guess time will tell if you're right. In the meantime, you should probably stick to a different Post.

Posted by: Grant | October 6, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I love Joe Gibbs but he almost never wen't for it on 4th and short. Last year we had a 4th and short against the eagles at Fed EX with the lead and something like 1:30 on the clock. Joe punted and the Eagles drove down the feild to win.

What Zorn did was not so much gutsey as smart! He plays to win instead of playing not to lose! BIG DIFFERENCE!

Posted by: donmac | October 6, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

YURI

Do you know what a football is? Go back to to Seberia and buld a mud hut.

Posted by: donmac | October 6, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

BALLS

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | October 6, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

the word that applies here is "scallops" -- check out the revolution:

Posted by: wrapped in bacon | October 6, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

And we laughed at Cooley for taking a picture of his Johnson?

This Bog entry is like an episode of South Park.

And I love it.

Posted by: StetSports.com | October 6, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

My Jim, what a huge Coin purse you have.

Posted by: ImIdaho | October 6, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The word you are looking for is rabachs.

Jim Zorn has rabachs.

Posted by: dcsween | October 6, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

One of those "has become synonymous with" words.

Posted by: dcsween | October 6, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

the what the giants please the only reason we lost was the offense was still getting settled in they couldnt score a td on us 16 points we face em now itll be a blowout believe that our dbs had a chance of intercepting manning thrice even when we struggled the giants barely beat us cant wait cus we gonna get it talking bout pretending our D owns Manning even he knows it

Posted by: eriahn | October 6, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I love the euphemisms. Well-executed, sir.

Posted by: Lindemann | October 6, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse