Kornheiser Defends the Bandwagon

TWP file photo by Bill Snead.

As I've previously mentioned, many people have made mention to me of the B***wagon in recent days. Ok, mostly before the Rams loss, but still. People were sensing a level of excitement not felt since 1991, and so it was hard not to bring up those B***wagon memories, which are inextricably linked to the last Super Bowl for so many Skins fans.

I even made a half-hearted attempt to launch the Hoorayride, got the name linked on ESPN.com, and attempted to call and secure Tony Kornheiser's blessing (although we never spoke), before several co-workers convinced me to shelve it. Although it's still a great name.

(EDIT: I didn't mean to suggest that the following rant was directed at me. I don't think it was. I never even told Tony about the Hoorayride. And Mike Wise says he never asked Tony about the Bandwagon. Not sure who that leaves.)

Anyhow, I hadn't realized that some people actually explicitly asked TK for permission to re-launch the B***wagon. More than one person. And with typical good humor and a strong sense of self-aware kindness, Kornheiser actually discussed this issue with Michael Wilbon and Cindy Boren on Talking Points last week.

The short answer is no, we're not allowed to be enthusiastic this year. It's the kind of rant that really makes you wish Tony would come into the office more, so he could bring fellowship and cheer to all of our hearts over the communal entertainment mission we all share. And kids, never attempt to flatter your elders with imitation. Instead, go sit in a hole somewhere and die. You sleazeball.

A transcript:

Kornheiser: Let's roll. Let me just state something. It has come to my attention that a couple of people at the Washington Post, a couple of writers at the Washington Post, are attempting to hijack the Bandwagon. One of them said to me today if I was not going to write in the Washington Post any more, could he have it. Here is my answer: No. A thousand times no. You cannot have it. And I don't want to see any other sleazeball try to do it, and here's why. First of all, I don't write for the Washington Post any more because I was told my services were no longer required or even wanted on the writing end. Ok? And I accept that.

You know, but if you have any institutional memory at all, you understand that the Bandwagon is sort of my deal. Right? It's sort of my deal. Now we can talk about it all you want on this Web cast, is that what it's called, a Web cast? We can talk about it all you want. But if I find some sleazebag writer at the Washington Post trying to steal this, I mean, I would just hope people would understand: get your own idea, get your own deal.

There is a certain sanctity to that Bandwagon thing, in one of the greatest seasons ever had by any team in the history of the National Football League. Not the '85 Bears, but in the conversation in the Top 5 teams of all time, what the 1991 Redskins did. Lost two games by a total of three points. How's that? That's pretty good, isn't it? And then won the Super Bowl, won their playoffs convincingly, and did all of those things.

Wilbon: Let me just say this, let me come to your aid a little bit. You don't go take somebody else's theme. I don't even know who this is, I don't want to know, don't tell me, no, don't tell me. I don't want to know, I'm probably friends with him. But no no, no no, you don't take someone else's thing.

Kornheiser: That's right, that's piracy, that's intellectual property theft, that's what it is, am I right?

Wilbon: The Bandwagon is your deal, it's associated with you, so shhhh, don't do that.

Boren: And let me just say that this person did not come to me and ask me about this, because I would have said it's yours.

Kornheiser: More than one person

Wilbon: So is it possible that you didn't really get this right, is it possible nobody really wanted to steal it?

Kornheiser: It is impossible that I didn't get this right. Because the phone call came to me. That's the end of that.

Wilbon: No. Nobody can do the Bandwagon. That's it.

Kornheiser: You know what, even if were still writing, I would be teasing it right now, look, because those were, at Dallas, at Philly, impressive, but you know why I wouldn't roll it out yet? Because they lost one. They lost at Giants. They lost at Giants. Now, they come back home, they win everything else, they come back home, beat Giants? That's a different deal.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 15, 2008; 11:46 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Larry Michael's Latest Target: Ivan Carter?
Next: Portis on Alexander, Focus, Weightlifting

Comments

What a great photo.

Posted by: joeblazin | October 15, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"First of all, I don't write for the Washington Post any more because I was told my services were no longer required or even wanted on the writing end. Ok? And I accept that. "

Um - what? I know we haven't seen an article by Mr Tony in a while; you were doing those short pieces for a while too before completely stopping. But I guess I though (hoped) this was short term and that eventually you'd come back to the post.

I understand you have a lot of commitments (PTI, MNF, Radio) and probably some I am not aware of - so I understood you took a reduced role at the post. However, they didn't want you? I hope I am missing something in translation (maybe they said we don't want to keep paying you - do your thing with TV - then come back to us?)

I fell in love with sports, the washingtonpost and even reading growing up reading columns by Mr Tony and Mike W. You two are the best in the business in my opinion. I love PTI / love MNF (well I love that you are on it). But I, like many, miss reading your articles.

Here is hoping that at some point you come back to writing at the washingtonpost.

I really hope I missed something - and it wasn't just the post saying "See Ya!".

Posted by: PJP5 | October 15, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I wish he would go back to writing, because he was great at it. He really detracts from my enjoyment of MNF though, and I hope he gets canned.

Posted by: daveskin | October 15, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Did you steal his parking space once accidentally or something along those lines?

Posted by: B.A. | October 15, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

TK is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I heard that they were thinking about canceling MNF if he didn't return this year. Possibly the entire NFL season.

Posted by: twoeightnine | October 15, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

For a guy who takes every chance possible to publicly poke fun at people, Kornheiser has the thinnest skin imaginable.

Posted by: Mike | October 15, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"I'm probably friends with him..."

Out with it, Steinbog: are you friends with Wilbon?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 15, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

What a catty, petulent F***.

So Kornheiser refers to Steinz as a 'sleazebag'? Black Pot, you have a dark Kettle holding for you on Line 1.

My God, that Bandwagon thing was 17 years ago. It's about as fresh as a Vanilla Ice CD. Steinz, i agree with the D'bag, come up with something new.

Posted by: Preview And Submit | October 15, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I used to like TK. Now he's a blowhard who is overly impressed with himself. Cashing in on his fame from PTI, and stopped doing what he did best. Good riddance.

Posted by: FormerTKFan | October 15, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Just to correct Tony, since he's being such a jerk:

Actually, the 1991 team lost two games by a total of five points--the 1983 team, which lost in the Super Bowl, lost two regular season games by a total of three points.

I'm kind of tired of the bandwagon bit--but it's not like whoever would have used the gimmick wouldn't have credited Tony or something

Posted by: Fingerman | October 15, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Intellectual property theft? Hmm, did he have it registered and trademarked?

Posted by: charlie | October 15, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Simple solution?
The Bogwagon.

Take that, TK.

Posted by: Eric G | October 15, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting for a ride in the wagon Tony...You promised. (don't forget the baby oil & mayonnaise) ;)

Posted by: AJ | October 15, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow, if the post really has asked him not to write anymore that is complete stupidity on their part. that being said he comes off as a complete baby. he clearly would be credited, and here is a little fact for you Tony: no one actually cares about the bandwagon! its not that incredible of a thing. people are just actually excited about the skins for the first time in a years and are looking for one more affirmation that yes we actually are good. Call it the bandwagon, the hurray train, zorn wheelbarrow it doesnt matter.

wow what a child. grow up tk. i used to really like you (and want to see YOU break out the bandwagon). after reading this now i'd rather read any of the "sleazebags"

Posted by: Steve | October 15, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Tony needs to get off his high horse and shut the hell up

Posted by: G20 FdaCowboys | October 15, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't anybody realize that Tony's rants are mostly schtick? Someone asks him about the Bandwagon, he cranks the crankiness level to 11, and then rants for entertainment purposes. That's what he does. And I, for one, enjoy it.

Personally, I think Vinny Cerrato and Larry Michaels called Tony, claiming that they were LaCanfora.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Kornheiser claiming the bandwagon is like Al Gore claiming the Internet. Surely someone who so proudly and famously flaunts his English major credentials recognizes the absurdity of that.

Zealously hanging on to it makes him seem like a tired, old, bitter has-been. Didn't take him too long to turn on the Post either, huh? He took the buyout, didn't he?? So shut up about it already.

TK is turning into the sort of figure whom he used to rip all the time. Right in front of our eyes, and his own as-yet-untouched-by-plastic-surgery eyes. Oh, sweet irony.

Not surprising that Wilbon would weigh in too, since he knows where his bread is buttered - gotta protect The Franchise.

Posted by: terrdeac | October 15, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Did his Orangeness ever recover his stolen car? If not, whoever does have it might trade it for the bandwagon.

Ranking of Mr. Tony's skillz:

1) Internet show (gone forever)?
2) Radio show
3) Writing stuff
4) PTI
5) MNF

Posted by: RobinArlington | October 15, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

What a giant D*****bag TK has become.

This blog is one of the few fun things associated with sports at the WaPo anymore. Leave it to that braying jackass to pee all over it.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | October 15, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Idiots.

Kornheiser could probably CARE LESS about The Bandwagon. This is how he makes his mullah. Getting you people all hot and bothered.

You're buying it hook, line, and sinker.

Grow up, Mr. Tony's been doing this for years. It's why he's now king.

Posted by: Cart | October 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Oops.

Posted by: B.A. | October 16, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Are you people nuts? The Post asks TK to leave their paper and then you think he should be alright with the Post trying to sell papers with his shtick? Man, that is just wrong. I don't care how nice he was asked, the answer should have been "no." In fact, it takes a complete lack of tact to even ask to use the Bandwagon.

Posted by: DC | October 16, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse