Morning Look: Backstrom's Refrigerator Art

Backstrom's painting of Swedish goalie Johan Holmqvist, courtesy of Swedish Radio.

It would appear as though Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom was commissioned to create some artwork to be auctioned off for charity tomorrow.

While painting, Backstrom listened to Raffi tapes and ate grilled cheese cut into fourths.

I don't have too many details -- my Swedish is a little spotty -- but more can be found here.

The painting, I'm told, is of Swedish goaltender Johan Holmqvist, who looks to be carrying a shopping bag and hearting the number one. Not sure, though.

Now, if the Ikea people were smart, they'd get the copy machine going, crank out a few thousand of these puppies, slap a name on them ("höckey," maybe?) and sell them for five bucks a pop.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  October 9, 2008; 10:55 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Morning Look
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Touring Smoot's House, Part II
Next: Sage Rosenfels: Unleash the Fury

Comments

Is Holmqvist wearing a dress? Looks like funeral attire to me. Maybe that's where the heart and #1 come into play, he's lamenting the loss of his 1st love?

Or am I reading too much into this?

Posted by: Mustachio | October 9, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Dan,
That's a blocker pad not a shopping bag.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 9, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Once again Steinberg, you show why you're not worthy of professional sports in the area. Go back to your fantasy football draft and hanging out at Easterns with the Redskins. A shopping bag? What an ass.

That's obviously a goalies blocker pad, the one they wear on the stick hand.

Posted by: KelKel | October 9, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Renew! Renew!

Posted by: Rob Iola | October 9, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I wrote this post, not Steinberg. Also, come on! Clearly I'm joking about the shopping bag...is that not clear? Sheesh.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | October 9, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

What does Steinberg know about shopping anyway?

They couldn't sell this at Ikea. It only comes in one piece.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | October 9, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

the good news is we don't have to worry about Backstrom leaving the caps to pursue a career as an artist.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 9, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Once again Applebaum shows why she should be fired

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

What are you all hating on this post for? I thought it was hilarious. Applebaum, good job, this is funny.

The caption under Backstrom's picture is priceless.

Posted by: andy | October 9, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Holmqvist? Really? I'm disappointed in Backie. What the hell is he doing drawing a goalie who can barely keep himself on an NHL roster?

Henrik Lundqvist backed the Swedes to the gold medal. Why not him?

Maybe Backstrom likes Lundqvist because he's so much easier to score on??

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | October 9, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"Once again Applebaum shows why she should be fired"

What are you talking about, anonymous? Just because you hate your life too much to enjoy something funny like this, doesn't mean other people should lose their jobs.

Posted by: Jeff Deee | October 9, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

No, no. Anonymous is right. I've disgraced Steinberg, The Washington Post and blocker pads. I should go.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | October 9, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Renew! Renew!

Posted by: Rob Iola | October 9, 2008 12:18 PM "

Brilliant Logan's Run reference.

And Lindsay, don't go changing for nobody.

Posted by: Andy | October 9, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

You're right Lindsay. I'm just glad you didn't make a joke about the puck looking like a heart or anonymous might sue you for slander and libel.

I bet even CART thinks anonymous should shut up.

And Lindsay, you never got responded to me on Crowd Noise about that Caribbean cruise. Wanna go? Say early January?

We won't miss any Redskins games since they'll have a first round bye!

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | October 9, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

adding ä or ö to a word does not make it swedish

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm so flattered. I'm now being cited as the definitive source on Lindsay bashing.

For the record, Anonymous, give her a break dude. I'm going to lay off her for a while now unless she posts something REALLY awful -- I'm plenty pleased that Crowd Noise bit it. That's all I ever really wanted.

Lindsay's OK... for now.

Posted by: Cart | October 9, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Once again Applebaum shows why she should be fired

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 1:15 PM

And once again, you have proven why you should be signing your posts as "Morons Anonymous".

How is that non-journalism degree working out for you? Thought so.

Posted by: The Observer | October 10, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse