Morning Look: Capitals Invade FedEx Field

Top 10 Moments from the Caps full-scale funny-hatted invasion of FedEx Field yesterday, with pictorial assistance.

1) A Comcast SportsyNet official telling me shortly before 3 pm that the guys would appear on-set at 3:20, "assuming they show up," and then realizing that Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom had already showed up, had already donned those weird old-school helmet-hats Ovechkin loves, and were already signing autographs. They apparently bought the hats with money out of their pockets.

2) Seeing Chris Clark, in street clothes, just kind of hanging out and waiting to go on set, without anyone really bothering him or his wife. Then hearing Ovechkin tell Clark's wife,' You have to have some [Redskins] t-shirt, tell Clarkie to spend some money, c'mon."

3) Seeing Mike Green appear, and then getting to assess the full complement of jersey choices. Ovechkin is Sean Taylor, naturally. (Although I'd listen to an argument that he should be Portis.) Backstrom is Santana Moss, which is also fitting, although he said that he chose the jersey at Green's urging, after Green told him that Moss was the team's best player. And Green is Jason Campbell, which is actually not what I might have picked. More like a new-and-improved Carlos Rogers, I'd think.

("We have a rule, me Greenie and Ovie," Backstrom told me. "We have to wear these [helmet-hats] and a jersey if we're going to watch the game.")

4) Listening to Ovechkin respond to Chick Hernandez's question about hockey like this: "I don't want to talk about hockey. I want to have fun with my teammates and go eat nachos and drink Coke."

5) Listening to Ovechkin respond to a question about football like this: "I try to realize what's going on, what's the rules. It's very interesting." Asking Backstrom the same question, and hearing this answer: "When I come here I was like, 'Oh my God, I don't understand it.' I've been watching a lot of football on TV. [Now] I understand a lot of things."

I asked Backstrom if he'd appeal to Ovechkin for help.

"I think he knows the same as me," Backstrom said. "Or less. It's probably going to be me and him just sitting there." But he hastened to add that he loved the stadium, and the environment, and that he hoped the home team would win.

6) Listening to Ovechkin respond to Trevor Matich's question about whether he likes hitting, in an attempt to find out if he'd be a good football player.

"I enjoy a lot, but I enjoy more scoring goals," Ovechkin said.

7) Listening to Clark attempt to compare the personalities of Ovechkin and Chris Cooley, when discussing his favorite Redskin. Llistening to Ovechkin's answer to the same question: "i don't know the name, just the shirt."

8) Leaving the set and randomly seeing Michael Nylander and his wife trying to find the will-call window. They were there with a totally separate group. They weren't wearing helmet hats.

9) Getting an e-mail and a phone call from separate Caps fans alerting me that Ovie had just been shown on the CBS broadcast. I watched it. Right into the commercial break after the first quarter. No ID, no way for the average pigskin-head to know that they were looking at one of the greatest hockey players on earth: just Ovechkin in a funny hat, right before one of those fat guys with masks. Either CBS assumes Ovechkin's face is now a nationally known brand, or....actually, I'm not sure what the alternative is. That national viewers will assume D.C. residents have few teeth, I guess.

10) Getting a frantic call from Mike Wise, telling me that Ovechkin had just showed up in the bowels long after the post-game, still wearing his hat helmet, and that he had just met Clinton Portis. If that wasn't one of the three greatest conversations in modern D.C. sports history, I'll give you an autographed helmet-hat.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 20, 2008; 7:59 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Portis For President
Next: Son of Zorn Also Has Star Power

Comments

Backstrom's "football" pose was funny before the game.

It looked something like a constipation/sumo wrestler/hulk all combined type of thing.

Good to see them out and about.

Posted by: Chimaera | October 20, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Greatest sports town in history. That's what D.C. is.

In a universe where fair-weather fans are supreme beings.

Posted by: StetSports.com | October 20, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Dan,

No mention to Caps Mike Green of the newly acquired Skins Mike Green? I assume his jersey is not yest available but i am surprised that Mike didn't go with a throwback Darrell Green Jersey.

Posted by: Rex Banner | October 20, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Damn, this would be the only Skins game of the season that I only half-watched while doing other stuff. I missed seeing them in the stands.

Gotta say, the guys look ridiculous in those helmets...kinda like Caps fans wearing the fleece helmets given out last season.

Posted by: Jill | October 20, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

You can't bring the two Mike Green's together, it could trigger the collapse of the Universe.

Total DC Sports synergy weekend, though with DC United's Peralta, and Mediate attending the Caps game, too.

Posted by: Kim | October 20, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

That is so cool that those guys went all out while going to the game yesterday! Even tho they had no idea about football which is hilarious. I love the Caps and the Skins and this was a double treat. Now I think it only fitting that Portis, Cooley and Campbell go the Caps game together and wear Caps uni's!!!
(I actually did see Portis at a Caps game earlier this year which was very cool!)

Posted by: Pass2Cooley | October 20, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

We saw Ovechkin last week, post-Rams-game, at the club level, wearing the same hat!

Posted by: JF | October 20, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Two rows down from me, one section over ... the awesome(ly large), Gheorghe Mure┼čan.

Posted by: dcsween | October 20, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff!

Posted by: JD | October 20, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin-Portis summit? My head explodes at the thought. I want to watch that conversation while eating nachos and drinking Coke.

Posted by: Fingerman | October 20, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I was there in my Ovechkin jersey but did not realize that they were at the game. Doh!

Posted by: Chris | October 20, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"Players from Local Sports Team A go to watch Local Sports Team B play, and silliness ensues" will never fail to amuse me.

Proposals:

Wizards visit La Barra Brava.

United players attend Washington Kastles match, all attempting to dress how they believe die-hard tennis fans dress.

Portis, Cooley, Moss, and Washington do the President race at a Nats game.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 20, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

ovetch-skins

seriously, i would by a redskins jersey with his name and the number 8.... that would be dope!

-g

Posted by: g | October 20, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

g, just buy a cheap brunell jersey and put on an Ovechkin nameplate.

Posted by: kyle Townshend | October 20, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom has the gut of a lineman. Seriously.

Posted by: runwith | October 20, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

It's embarassing that CBS had the reigning NHL MVP on their screens and had no clue who it was.

Posted by: FS | October 20, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Portis, Cooley, Campbell and Sellers have been at Caps games. Nice to see Ovie and company return the favor.

Posted by: Joe | October 20, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

FS,

With the announcing crew the Skins had, they could have the NFL MVP on and not have a clue.

Posted by: Kim | October 20, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm not even a Caps fan and I despise the 'Skins but if Ovechkin isn't hte most entertaining NHLer out there I will eat my shoes. Seriously, he is so much fun to watch play and I'd kill to spend a day with him. He seems like a nutjob.

Posted by: matt | October 21, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

it was awesome, just walking in the club level after the game i ran into ovie, green, and backstrom and chatted with them for a few.

HTTR - Rock the Red!