Morning Look: Capitals Invade FedEx Field
Top 10 Moments from the Caps full-scale funny-hatted invasion of FedEx Field yesterday, with pictorial assistance.
1) A Comcast SportsyNet official telling me shortly before 3 pm that the guys would appear on-set at 3:20, "assuming they show up," and then realizing that Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom had already showed up, had already donned those weird old-school helmet-hats Ovechkin loves, and were already signing autographs. They apparently bought the hats with money out of their pockets.
2) Seeing Chris Clark, in street clothes, just kind of hanging out and waiting to go on set, without anyone really bothering him or his wife. Then hearing Ovechkin tell Clark's wife,' You have to have some [Redskins] t-shirt, tell Clarkie to spend some money, c'mon."
3) Seeing Mike Green appear, and then getting to assess the full complement of jersey choices. Ovechkin is Sean Taylor, naturally. (Although I'd listen to an argument that he should be Portis.) Backstrom is Santana Moss, which is also fitting, although he said that he chose the jersey at Green's urging, after Green told him that Moss was the team's best player. And Green is Jason Campbell, which is actually not what I might have picked. More like a new-and-improved Carlos Rogers, I'd think.
("We have a rule, me Greenie and Ovie," Backstrom told me. "We have to wear these [helmet-hats] and a jersey if we're going to watch the game.")
4) Listening to Ovechkin respond to Chick Hernandez's question about hockey like this: "I don't want to talk about hockey. I want to have fun with my teammates and go eat nachos and drink Coke."
5) Listening to Ovechkin respond to a question about football like this: "I try to realize what's going on, what's the rules. It's very interesting." Asking Backstrom the same question, and hearing this answer: "When I come here I was like, 'Oh my God, I don't understand it.' I've been watching a lot of football on TV. [Now] I understand a lot of things."
I asked Backstrom if he'd appeal to Ovechkin for help.
"I think he knows the same as me," Backstrom said. "Or less. It's probably going to be me and him just sitting there." But he hastened to add that he loved the stadium, and the environment, and that he hoped the home team would win.
6) Listening to Ovechkin respond to Trevor Matich's question about whether he likes hitting, in an attempt to find out if he'd be a good football player.
"I enjoy a lot, but I enjoy more scoring goals," Ovechkin said.
7) Listening to Clark attempt to compare the personalities of Ovechkin and Chris Cooley, when discussing his favorite Redskin. Llistening to Ovechkin's answer to the same question: "i don't know the name, just the shirt."
8) Leaving the set and randomly seeing Michael Nylander and his wife trying to find the will-call window. They were there with a totally separate group. They weren't wearing helmet hats.
9) Getting an e-mail and a phone call from separate Caps fans alerting me that Ovie had just been shown on the CBS broadcast. I watched it. Right into the commercial break after the first quarter. No ID, no way for the average pigskin-head to know that they were looking at one of the greatest hockey players on earth: just Ovechkin in a funny hat, right before one of those fat guys with masks. Either CBS assumes Ovechkin's face is now a nationally known brand, or....actually, I'm not sure what the alternative is. That national viewers will assume D.C. residents have few teeth, I guess.
10) Getting a frantic call from Mike Wise, telling me that Ovechkin had just showed up in the bowels long after the post-game, still wearing his hat helmet, and that he had just met Clinton Portis. If that wasn't one of the three greatest conversations in modern D.C. sports history, I'll give you an autographed helmet-hat.
Posted by: Chimaera | October 20, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: StetSports.com | October 20, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Rex Banner | October 20, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Jill | October 20, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kim | October 20, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Pass2Cooley | October 20, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: JF | October 20, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: dcsween | October 20, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: JD | October 20, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Fingerman | October 20, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Chris | October 20, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 20, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: g | October 20, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: kyle Townshend | October 20, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: runwith | October 20, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: FS | October 20, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Joe | October 20, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kim | October 20, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: matt | October 21, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: phil | October 22, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.