Morning Look: Griffin Jerseys at Palin Rallies

Williams at the Richmond rally. (By Bob Brown - AP/Richmond Times-Dispatch)

The bizarre Redskins-related political developments keep on coming. On the same day that Vinny Cerrato appeared on the guest list for a White House dinner honoring Silvio Berlusconi, Hank Williams Jr. showed up at at least two Virginia rallies for Sarah Palin wearing a Redskins 96, bringing national political attention to Cornelius Griffin, of all people. I wrote about the political culture inside the Skins locker room, as did the AP ("I make Republican income, but I need the Democrats in office, so which way do I go?" Clinton Portis asked), and I can't recall ever hearing Griffin's name pop up.

Now, both men lived for a time in Alabama, so maybe that explains it. Williams has said, in published articles, that he's friends with Griff because of the 'Bama thing. Or possibly this was some sort of muted reference to the working-man characteristics supposedly embodied by Sarah Palin. Or maybe we're just in store for four more weeks of random political burgundy-and-gold madness.

Either way, Joe Biden, I'm telling you right now: Lorenzo Alexander is a big fan of your ticket. Better invest in some 79s right quick to lessen the VP-DL gap.

Williams at the Virginia Beach Palin rally. (By Chip Somodevilla - Getty)

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 14, 2008; 10:51 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vinny Cerrato Invited to the White House
Next: Smoot's House: The Video Tour

Comments

F Palin

F JLC

F Vinny

F the Danny

Posted by: jonthefisherman | October 14, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Just the image the Republicans need. Still courting that crucial redneck vote I see. Good luck Nov. 4

Posted by: virtueandvice | October 14, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I've never been more confused in my life.

-J. Six-Pack

Posted by: StetSports.com | October 14, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

And I thought I'd lost respect for Hank due to him overstaying his welcome on "MNF" after these brief 57 years of him doing the opening. Doggone it, Hank, I don't even know what to say at this point, you betcha.

Posted by: Mason Pattrick | October 14, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

After reading the stories about the political environment in the Skins locker room, I'm encouraged to read about the intellegent discussions being had by the players. It speaks to the maturity of the players that they have an awareness of the issues of the day and have a sense that the world does not revolve around them.

This is a nice contrast to what we get from other athletes, such as Gilbert "I was the original Black President" Arenas who is excited now that the next Black President Obama "came into office" [came=past tense], yet doesn't know who Obama's running mate is, and believes Gov Sarah Palin is a "moron"

Posted by: Bob | October 14, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Portis should suck it up and vote Nader. The man knows more about a wider range of sports than anyone else runing... chasing hot tail is not a sport mr McCain.

Posted by: Alex35332 | October 14, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I would ask for my jersey back...

and dude, could he pull his pants up any higher? they are practically at his arm pits!

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 14, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I think it is selfish to base your vote on your salary. I find it sad that people are so greedy now that they want to keep it all to themself. I guess it is okay for some one not making that much money to pay the lions share of taxes while they have more money than they can possibly spend. Leave the tax burden on the poor and middle class. That is why I love Barkley. He feels he makes enough money to stomach the extra tax so others can get a leg up. Makes me not want to pay to see any of these boneheads anymore.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous, I guess you didn't actually understand what Clinton (Portis) said.

Gilbert may be his biggest fan, but his comment is still factually correct: Palin IS a moron.

Posted by: AlecW81 | October 14, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree AlecW81 Anonymous could not have understood Portis's comments/statement.

I have to admit, when I saw Hank with the Griff Jersey on (while speaking with my older brother a cowgirl fan no less) My older brother was quick to point out how Hank had basically pledged all of Redskin Nation into the McCain Campaign. This started a huge "discussion" where I found myself trying to explain why hank's choice of jersey did not in any way represent the feelings of the entire Redskin Nation.

Posted by: ghettocnn | October 14, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse